Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:09 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,059,684 times

Advertisements

Indy is good for families. For young people and singles it is very boring. Other than that, the only good thing is that the COL is cheap. Boring!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 09:46 PM

14 posts, read 43,471 times
Meh, I'm a big city kind of lady. But, if I were starting a family I would rate it a tad bit higher to like... ok.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:54 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,155,238 times
Actually Indianapolis isn't bad for young and singles. It has a happening club scene both downtown and areas like Broad Ripple and does actually have a lot of things to do in and around the city, hosts several huge parties every year (where you get a lot of out of town visitors partying) in the 500, Brickyard, Indiana Black Expo and the big 10 tournament. Cities like Louisville have Derby every year and that's pretty much it outside of 4th street live which is equivalent to south DT Indy as far as a night scene. Problem with young people today is they never want to go out and find something, they expect everything to just fall in their laps like magic or something.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:05 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,157,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
. Problem with young people today is they never want to go out and find something, they expect everything to just fall in their laps like magic or something.

That is also true for a lot of older folks who lack the energy and desire to go out searching for fun and/or interesting things to do. Taking a walk down or up the Monon Trail in Indy is not necessarily a very safe thing to do. I just want college football season to get started.

Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,311,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Taking a walk down or up the Monon Trail in Indy is not necessarily a very safe thing to do.
On a trail that, according to the parks department, sees 1.2 million visitors a year, there were 6 violent attacks in all of 2010. What happened this week in Nora was terrible, but that is the only attack to happen on the Monon Trail this year and the perps have already been arrested.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 AM

50 posts, read 69,188 times
Toxic may i also add these were (teenagers) who's parents didn't care

Old 06-18-2011, 09:48 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,907,570 times
I always felt safe on the Monon, but then again are we talking about downtown or in Carmel? I left Indy 3 years ago but was often running, biking, walking the dog on the Monon around Carmel or Broadripple. Isolated incidents can happen anywhere.

That said, Indy definitely lacks the amenities of a large city, I always considered it a really large town more than a city. It may have the size, but lacks the substance. I don't consider a strip of bars in Broadripple anything to write home about, it lacks a theater district, doesn't have a flourishing arts scene, no real ethnic neighborhoods, etc as many other cities do. But it is fairly safe and the cost of living is very low.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM

50 posts, read 69,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I always felt safe on the Monon, but then again are we talking about downtown or in Carmel? I left Indy 3 years ago but was often running, biking, walking the dog on the Monon around Carmel or Broadripple. Isolated incidents can happen anywhere.

That said, Indy definitely lacks the amenities of a large city, I always considered it a really large town more than a city. It may have the size, but lacks the substance. I don't consider a strip of bars in Broadripple anything to write home about, it lacks a theater district, doesn't have a flourishing arts scene, no real ethnic neighborhoods, etc as many other cities do. But it is fairly safe and the cost of living is very low.
Well depends on ethnic neighborhoods. Racism destroys any city. Look at detroit for example though all the white people left cause of racial tensions and riots. Heck on the night Martin Luther King Jr. Was assassinated Indianapolis WAS THE ONLY major city that DID not riot. All other cities across the country had riots. Indy was calm and peaceful and there is an arts museum and the artsgarden. Plus recently theres a new home in columbus that was opened to the public.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,311,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post

Mass Ave has a decent theater scene. It is not a Chicago type district, but it shouldn't be. This is Indianapolis, not New York City.

There is a decent art scene in Fountain Square, and in other urban areas in increasing numbers.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:22 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,081,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
On a trail that, according to the parks department, sees 1.2 million visitors a year, there were 6 violent attacks in all of 2010. What happened this week in Nora was terrible, but that is the only attack to happen on the Monon Trail this year and the perps have already been arrested.
Two more attacks on the Monon! The summer of hell appears to have finally hit Indy. Starting July 1st, citizens can carry their guns on the Monon. Maybe they should rename it the Rob-on Trail?

Police Investigate 2 More Monon Trail Attacks - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis