Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Indianapolis?
been there loved IT!! 117 38.87%
been there it was okay 126 41.86%
been there and would never go BACK! 58 19.27%
Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 09:23 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,989,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Of course. Folks are fleeing Californistan in droves due to high taxes, liberal policies and now legal gay marriage. Soon we'll have a $6 million cricket field on which they can swing their wickets. God bless Mayor Ballard!
BRG, is that you? You aren't bashing Chicago, but you are bashing "liberal policies" and stating Indiana as the safe haven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,066,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
BRG, is that you? You aren't bashing Chicago, but you are bashing "liberal policies" and stating Indiana as the safe haven.
It's called a sense of humor at BRG's expense! Or a tribute to BRG...

Old 07-19-2013, 10:33 AM

8,985 posts, read 17,313,313 times
To me, it is a joke that stopped being funny 5 months ago, that joke being BRGuy. Though, he is certainly a legend on this forum and I respect him for that. As much as someone can respect a bizarre online persona anyway.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:26 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,977,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
What's your ideal "scene" that's difficult to find?
Large, walkable districts with a good restaurants, nightlife and shopping. Broad Ripple was fine, but it's only a few blocks. When I'm a tourist, I would prefer to be able to walk from my hotel to wherever I want to go, maybe hopping on a light rail or subway/El as needed. In Indy, you can't really do that. I voted Indy "I've been there, it was ok."

And, that's how I feel about the city. Looking at metros that are around the same population, I'd much rather visit San Antonio (Riverwalk area), Las Vegas (The Strip or Freemont St), Austin (6th street/warehouse district), or New Orleans (French Quater and Garden District). On the flip side, I'd rate Indy much better than Jacksonville and OKC. For a metro area of almost 2 million people, Indy has what I would expect it to have. It is perfectly adequate. I do think the city does a good job hosting sporting events, but the other 350 days of the year it's an average mid-sized city. It doesn't have anything that is unique enough to make me "love it."

Old 12-16-2013, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 11,787 times
Default Broad Ripple

I believe that Broad Ripple has a rich future. They need to find a new density and picth the village idea, leave that to places outside the 465 like Zionseville.

Old 12-20-2013, 05:07 PM

2,991 posts, read 3,429,168 times
Louisville a much smaller city somehow manages to have more distinct neighborhoods, hole in the wall restaurants and just things to do than Indianapolis. Maybe it's because Louisville is in Kentucky and they have their own regional culture distinct from the Borg that is the Midwest.

Indianapolis is almost a small replica of Chicago (along with the crime and ghettos), without having the soul or urban pace of Chicago.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,989,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Louisville a much smaller city somehow manages to have more distinct neighborhoods, hole in the wall restaurants and just things to do than Indianapolis. Maybe it's because Louisville is in Kentucky and they have their own regional culture distinct from the Borg that is the Midwest.

Indianapolis is almost a small replica of Chicago (along with the crime and ghettos), without having the soul or urban pace of Chicago.

Please explain this, I don't see any of the same similarities. Every city has crime, and most large cities have an urban center, but how are these two even remotely similar in the ways you describe?

Suggesting a city of almost 2 million people has no "soul" is ludicrous. I'm not sure how much time you have spent in Indianapolis, but it obviously was not enough.

Old 12-20-2013, 08:41 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,546,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
[/b]Please explain this, I don't see any of the same similarities. Every city has crime, and most large cities have an urban center, but how are these two even remotely similar in the ways you describe?

Suggesting a city of almost 2 million people has no "soul" is ludicrous. I'm not sure how much time you have spent in Indianapolis, but it obviously was not enough.
Guy's a Kentucky homer. Pay no mind.

Old 12-21-2013, 03:14 AM

1,766 posts, read 3,609,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

In my personal opinion, Louisville is a POS that has one cool neighborhood plus a mall that feels like Clay Terrace downtown.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:42 PM

797 posts, read 2,340,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
In my personal opinion, Louisville is a POS that has one cool neighborhood plus a mall that feels like Clay Terrace downtown.
If you're referring to 4th street live as a mall and use it as one of only two things you would choose to describe an entire city, I doubt you know it well enough to be offering opinions on it. Your description of Louisville would be like describing Indy as a POS that has one strip of bars where people like to hang our in Broad Ripple plus a downtown that feels a bit "Disney"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis