Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Oh, come onnnnn!.
Are you serious with this?

Are you mad because this kid breaks the typecast? We're more comfortable with our Latino illegals commiting crimes, aren't we?

"My illegal Latinos" committing crimes is not the issue. What makes me angry is my American-born daughter who has a master's degree, is 36 years old, who worked her way through 8 years of college, has been paying off her student loans for 10 years now, and will very likely be paying them off for quite a few years to come.

SHE was a promising student, too. AND a minority. AND a US citizen.

I don't expect you to 'get' this loony message....but that's what caused my outburst. THat, plus the usual hatred and xenophobia and anti-Latino vitriol, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes...of course. The narrow-minded; the xenophobes; the racists; the taxpayers; the wage-earners; those who pay their own tuition; That whole "crowd" who expresses misgivings about illegal immigration.(and their "ilk", of course..don't want to forget their ilk).

Narrow-minded...indeed.
Hate to burst the bubble,
but us "pro-illegal, illegal alien lovers" account for these groups as well:
Quote:
the taxpayers; the wage-earners; those who pay their own tuition
And "ilk" is a term used by your folks.
You know their love for archaic and unnecessary words.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:32 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,907 times
Quote:
"My illegal Latinos" committing crimes is not the issue. What makes me angry is my American-born daughter who has a master's degree, is 36 years old, who worked her way through 8 years of college, has been paying off her student loans for 10 years now, and will very likely be paying them off for quite a few years to come.

I don't expect you to 'get' this loony message....but that's what causded my outburst.
So do exceptional grades and test scores matter when it comes to giving out scholarships ?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:34 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
So do exceptional grades and test scores matter when it comes to giving out scholarships ?
Does legal residency?

Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,006,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missinggreen View Post
What it comes down to is times are hard. People are struggling. The USA is in a major recession. People are lossing their jobs and homes. Yet Harvard and the government are funding families/children from other countries, who do not have legal permission to be in this country in the first place.

I to think the illegal student should not have gotten the funding. Had he come to this country in a legal and lawful manner and was a legal immigrant of this country, then I, and probably many others, would have wished him well.
Exactly. THANK YOU! This is EXACTLY the problem.

And my kid had a 4.2 GPA at a magnet school for engineering, 1270 on his SATs, played football for two years, played in the band two years, won honors in a national poetry contest his junior year, was involved with the drama department and won several acting awards in competition, plus volunteered at our church. Oh, and in his spare time, he had to help clean, cook, and do laundry because I'm disabled. He wouldn't even THINK of applying to the Ivy League because it just couldn't be done. Full rides for white kids are few and far between.

I am QUITE certain that there were American students with accomplishments surpassing Juan's who would LOVE to have had that scholarship. AMERICANS should be accommodated first. Harvard is harboring and abetting a law-breaker.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:48 PM

It seems to me that if Harvard and its vast resources couldn't work on legalizing the kid's immigration status, then either they simply don't care about obeying the law and are thumbing their collective nose at it or the excellent resources one expects at Harvard are sorely lacking.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:

I don't expect you to 'get' this loony message....but that's what causded my outburst.
So one illegal who hustled his way through school, probably coming out of a low income background, got accepted into Harvard over many other very qualified minorities, and someone decided to award him a scholarship he applied for.

There's A LOT more spoiled, rich brats from families that are legacies, or have old money that have been getting free rides through Ivy leagues for years.

The VAST MAJORITY of people don't get into Harvard. MANY students end up with lots of debt.
A lot of people don't even make it to college at all.

I'm going to be in debt myself, and I have friends in lots of debt as well. ALL MINORITY.

I don't care about getting that mythical minority free ride through college at the expense of poor white people. I'm just grateful I was able to attend college at all, and even with that debt, I know I'll do better than the people who didn't attend college.
Your daughter was able to get her Masters. and I doubt life's too hard for her while illegals are driving by in luxury cars wearings diamonds and furs.

You're wrong for making this kid out to be some kind of villain who's getting his education just to spite you guys, "flipping everyone off", laughing at the poor little Americans all the way to the bank, when it's more likely that he's achieved a lot in his academics, and probably over more obstacles than me, my friends, and your daughter had to go through. This kid couldn't have even made it to Harvard without being a serious, determined student. His parent's definitely ain't Rockefellers.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Exactly. THANK YOU! This is EXACTLY the problem.

And my kid had a 4.2 GPA at a magnet school for engineering, 1270 on his SATs, played football for two years, played in the band two years, won honors in a national poetry contest his junior year, was involved with the drama department and won several acting awards in competition, plus volunteered at our church. Oh, and in his spare time, he had to help clean, cook, and do laundry because I'm disabled. He wouldn't even THINK of applying to the Ivy League because it just couldn't be done. Full rides for white kids are few and far between.

I am QUITE certain that there were American students with accomplishments surpassing Juan's who would LOVE to have had that scholarship. AMERICANS should be accommodated first. Harvard is harboring and abetting a law-breaker.

Since immigration status wasn't questioned for the scholarship, and probably not by Harvard, and judging on your several comments about "white kids", your concern is over minorities going to school over white kids.
What minorities are qualified then?
Is it possible for any non-Asian minorities to be good students and qualified, and accepted into an Ivy League school without it being rigged?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Since immigration status wasn't questioned for the scholarship, and probably not by Harvard, and judging on your several comments about "white kids", your concern is over minorities going to school over white kids.
What minorities are qualified then?
Is it possible for any non-Asian minorities to be good students and qualified, and accepted into an Ivy League school without it being rigged?
Nope, my concern is over ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS getting funded over AMERICAN kids. Typically, you combined two issues erroneously. The illegal immigrant issue and the race-based funding issue. They're SEPARATE issues. There should be NO funding for illegal immigrants as they're breaking our laws. If they want, the illegals should return to their countries of origin and apply to be foreign students. THAT is perfectly legal.

We ESPECIALLY don't owe Mexico or Mexican citizens a dang thing. If anything, we should send that country a bill for all of the social, medical and educational services we stupidly provide for its citizens. They're not OUR responsibility.

If the bleeding hearts want a project that I think most Americans would support, they should legally bring some students from Iraq here for quality education. We DO have an obligation to them.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:40 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,172 times
No, it's more than that. It's more than just an opportunity to discuss controversy. It's actually flying in the face of Harvard's own apparent policy to promote illegal immigrants--do you see the difference? It's not an issue. It's now a policy. I've read a lot of comments by parents and students across the US posted on articles about this student. The outrage is coming because an illegal immigrant got a pass over American citizens just like him. He's not the smartest kid in the US. Every high school in America graduated a Valedictorian with top grades. Not to mention the brilliant foreign students who didn't get a pass, but did everything legally. He's where he is because he's an illegal and someone or some organization wanted him to go to the top over American citizens and legitimate foreign students. I wonder if some lawyer will make a case for foreign students who did everything legally and paid top rates and sues Harvard for a refund.

He's not 9 years old any more. Is he applying for citizenship? Hopefully he's paying foreign student rates with the scholarship money. When is it ever time to do the right thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
No, like all top-level institutions it will allow both sides of the debate to occur on campus. My college had Jerry Springer, Ellis Marsalis, Stephen Jay Gould and Baptist ministers all speak on the same stage. None would preach the same message.

Again, the kid did not break the law, as a 9-year old should not be held responsible for the "crimes" of his parents. All he did was excel more than everyone else at his high school and then succeed at Harvard. Such a criminal. I hope my children are criminals just like him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration