Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM

148 posts, read 471,504 times

Advertisements

A Texas grand jury declined to pursue double homicide charges against retiree Joe Horn, who confronted two illegal aliens who broke into his neighbor's home to burglarize it. Vigilante, or Texas justice?

He claims (which was backed up by a police officer) that one of the illegals charged him as he confronted them in his own front yard, and he fired multiple times. Autopsy shows they were both killed by shotgun blasts to the back, however. He disputes this by stating that the one who charged him was turning when he began to draw the shotgun, and was actually hit in the side with exit wounds to the back, and that it happened so fast that the other shots simply followed (which killed illegal alien criminal burglar #2).

Also, the media is reporting that the 2 criminals were "unarmed", however one had a tire iron. Since when is a tire iron not a weapon?

Thoughts?

There is a 10 minute video from ABC news Good Morning America interviewing Joe Horn, available on Yahoo videos.

ABC News: Joe Horn: Bravado, Fear Fueled My Actions

Last edited by karkyco; 07-02-2008 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:03 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,429,938 times
I agree, a tire iron is definetly a weapon unless your changing a flat on a car which they apparently were not.

I have heard nothing about these two mens criminal history. I would be willing to be this wasn't their first rodeo.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:09 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkyco View Post
A Texas grand jury declined to pursue double homicide charges against retiree Joe Horn, who confronted two illegal aliens who broke into his neighbor's home to burglarize it. Vigilante, or Texas justice?

He claims (which was backed up by a police officer) that one of the illegals charged him as he confronted them in his own front yard, and he fired multiple times. Autopsy shows they were both killed by shotgun blasts to the back, however. He disputes this by stating that the one who charged him was turning when he began to draw the shotgun, and was actually hit in the side with exit wounds to the back, and that it happened so fast that the other shots simply followed (which killed illegal alien criminal burglar #2).

Also, the media is reporting that the 2 criminals were "unarmed", however one had a tire iron. Since when is a tire iron not a weapon?

Thoughts?
Personally, i think that the right decision was made.

Firstly, the illegals had no business in the country to begin with. If they were deported properly they would not have been in Houston to commit a robbery.
Secondly, You always take a gamble when you break into someone's house. If they wouldn't have broken into a house they probably would not have been shot. I'm a former home robbery victim, you break into my house and i'm armed, you WILL be leaving inside a bodybag.
Thirdly, TX is pretty favorable when folks are forced to defend themselves with guns. Even more so than VirGUNia.
Fourthly, put yourself into Horn's shoes. If you think you will be harmed and you have a gun close-by, what would you do?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,690,674 times
Great post, karkyco

Anyone claiming a Tire Iron is NOT a weapon is not wrapped too tight. They need to be on the receiving end of a crazed, possibly drugged or otherwise, criminal charging them with anything similar.

Thank Goodness this Texas Grand Jury declined to pursue these ridiculous charges.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:25 AM

148 posts, read 471,504 times
I just wish more states protected an individuals' rights the way Texas does.

I couldn't imagine what would happen legally/criminally to Joe Horn if this had happened in Los Angeles, even if the criminal illegal alien burglars/robbers had broken into his own house. Hell, the illegals here would probably riot and try to lynch the guy. And our scumbag, greasy criminal mayor Antonio Villar would probably support the illegals.

Could be even worse, though! Thank God the Supreme Court enforced the rights granted us by the 2nd Amendment last week. If this had been in New York City, Washington DC, or San Francisco, Joe would have been killed by them no doubt!

Old 07-02-2008, 11:36 AM

608 posts, read 1,004,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Personally, i think that the right decision was made.

Firstly, the illegals had no business in the country to begin with. If they were deported properly they would not have been in Houston to commit a robbery.
Secondly, You always take a gamble when you break into someone's house. If they wouldn't have broken into a house they probably would not have been shot. I'm a former home robbery victim, you break into my house and i'm armed, you WILL be leaving inside a bodybag.
Thirdly, TX is pretty favorable when folks are forced to defend themselves with guns. Even more so than VirGUNia.
Fourthly, put yourself into Horn's shoes. If you think you will be harmed and you have a gun close-by, what would you do?
Actually in Texas you have the right to protect your land no matter if in city, suburbs or rural areas. If you are on your property and feel your life or property are in danger you have the right to protect yourself, family and property. There was a case similar to this last year... homeowner prevailed. Being legal or illegal has no weight. I doubt he asked their status in the heat of the moment.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:41 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 23 days ago)

27,636 posts, read 16,120,970 times
Just lucky Johnny dirt Sutton wasnt on the case.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,326,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Just lucky Johnny dirt Sutton wasnt on the case.
You got that right!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
Correct: using equal or greater force against a tire iron, knife, numchuks, etc. is acceptable-------which would include a firearm.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,210 times
I thought in Texas you guys pretty much had free reign to shoot someone for stepping on your grass or something.

I too have had my family's house broken into a few times, and for all the thugs out there I keep a piece or two in the house. But here the laws are real crazy.
Youre pretty much not allowed to protect yourself unless theyre coming at you with a deadly weapon, you have NO chance to run away, are backed into a corner, AND it looks bad if you empty the clip.

With that said,putting a bullet in someone coming through your window in the dark, even if he has a weapon, can get you behind bars. You pretty much have to ask the guy if he's planning on killing you.

But still, if both the robbers were shot in the back, that sounds pretty shady. That and if it was on the lawn. Sounds like he caught a couple of Mexicans getting done burglarizing a home and put them both down.
Hopefully the fact they were illegal doesn't affect the actual case and a thorough investigation is done to see what really went down, and the authorities act accordingly.
Just because I know if I pulled something like that with the way the situation looks, thered be a good chance I'd be on the next bus to Folsom or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration