Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2024, 04:52 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,670,634 times

Advertisements

New building at the Redstone Gateway completed.
The three-story building, has 200,000 square feet of Class A office space and a 15,000-square-foot warehouse.
It is the new home for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Huntsville Center.

The facility has private and open office areas, collaborative spaces, a large training room which can be divided into four separate rooms, a dining area, fitness center and conference room.
This building will serve as a conference and collaboration hub for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Robins & Morton was the general contractor, the architect was Nola Van Peursem Architects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2024, 06:09 PM

676 posts, read 620,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
"Lede" is a newspaper term from way back. It means the opening summary of a news story. "Bury the lede" is a term used to mean the failure to do the lede properly.

It's a pretty obscure word and term, so why al.com chose that name is uncertain.

BTW - pretty sure Montgomery doesn't have a Lede on al.com because they still publish a daily print newspaper and decided not to be a part of al.com. As far as I know, neither Huntsville, Birmingham, or Mobile still has a paper print newspaper - just the Lede for each city on al.com.

I'd much rather have a paper newspaper delivered to my curb. It was sort of a ritual, going to get it and reading over a cup of coffee, even though the news was no longer news by the time it arrived. Electronic can be updated as needed, but I still miss the paper edition.
I also miss that early Sunday morning coffee with the paper. I used to read the comics to the kids when they were very little; they liked the pictures. I kept the paper as my oldest was entering high school in hopes to be able to maybe one day cut an article out and hang it on the refrigerator. Unfortunately and although the paper was still being printed, the local reports were all let go and the only school or school sports that would make the paper tended to be those from Birmingham.

I'll pick up a copy of the Madison Record occasionally but its not the same.

Old 01-29-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick In Madison View Post
I also miss that early Sunday morning coffee with the paper. I used to read the comics to the kids when they were very little; they liked the pictures. I kept the paper as my oldest was entering high school in hopes to be able to maybe one day cut an article out and hang it on the refrigerator. Unfortunately and although the paper was still being printed, the local reports were all let go and the only school or school sports that would make the paper tended to be those from Birmingham.

I'll pick up a copy of the Madison Record occasionally but its not the same.
Reading the Sunday Huntsville Times was a simple pleasure Very enjoyable.

Old 01-30-2024, 02:22 PM

Some updates on construction and projects at Huntsville International Airport from CEO Butch Roberts.
About a year to complete these and improve ADA compliance.
Currently underway are the addition and upgrade of more escalators and elevators going to the concourse.
More space for concessions.
Addition of family restrooms.
Lactation rooms.
Service animal relief area.

Other projects completed/underway and planned
Completed a cell phone lot.
A new rental car lot which will add about 300 cars and free up those spaces in the current 6 level parking deck
Work on the parking deck counters for each level is complete, now shows ADA slots and electric charging stations available.
10,000 sq foot addition to cargo building complete in June.
Proceed with a new overlay for the East runway and parallel taxiway.
A new 40 million dollar parking deck addition is in the planning stage, will take 18 months to build it when started. Current parking deck is 85% capacity at peak times.

Old 01-30-2024, 03:27 PM

13,434 posts, read 9,954,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
New building at the Redstone Gateway completed.
The three-story building, has 200,000 square feet of Class A office space and a 15,000-square-foot warehouse.
It is the new home for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Huntsville Center.

The facility has private and open office areas, collaborative spaces, a large training room which can be divided into four separate rooms, a dining area, fitness center and conference room.
This building will serve as a conference and collaboration hub for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
Robins & Morton was the general contractor, the architect was Nola Van Peursem Architects.
Is the new building inside the gate (secure) or outside?

Old 01-30-2024, 04:43 PM

652 posts, read 722,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Is the new building inside the gate (secure) or outside?

Inside.

Interesting how often the CoE moves. I still remember them moving into the building just North of University, west of Wynn Drive. Then to Quality Circle and now just inside the gates of RSA.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldiver View Post
Inside.

Interesting how often the CoE moves. I still remember them moving into the building just North of University, west of Wynn Drive. Then to Quality Circle and now just inside the gates of RSA.
You don't hear much about them around here. Sounds like they have a sizable operation.

Old 01-30-2024, 08:07 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,207,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
Some updates on construction and projects at Huntsville International Airport from CEO Butch Roberts.
About a year to complete these and improve ADA compliance.
Currently underway are the addition and upgrade of more escalators and elevators going to the concourse.
More space for concessions.
Addition of family restrooms.
Lactation rooms.
Service animal relief area.

Other projects completed/underway and planned
Completed a cell phone lot.
A new rental car lot which will add about 300 cars and free up those spaces in the current 6 level parking deck
Work on the parking deck counters for each level is complete, now shows ADA slots and electric charging stations available.
10,000 sq foot addition to cargo building complete in June.
Proceed with a new overlay for the East runway and parallel taxiway.
A new 40 million dollar parking deck addition is in the planning stage, will take 18 months to build it when started. Current parking deck is 85% capacity at peak times.
Thanks for updates. Small request would be first to replace the garage elevators. There are technical 4 but just two good ones would work. They are the slowest and biggest eyesore at the airport. Good thing visitors don’t see that in their “airport experience”.

The escalators to/from terminal need expansion? Many use the short stairs and they move quickly. Really need more of them? Just being practical.

Old 01-31-2024, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Thanks for updates. Small request would be first to replace the garage elevators. There are technical 4 but just two good ones would work. They are the slowest and biggest eyesore at the airport. Good thing visitors don’t see that in their “airport experience”.

The escalators to/from terminal need expansion? Many use the short stairs and they move quickly. Really need more of them? Just being practical.
They are old and not very reliable, also it will improve ADA compliance. Agree with the parking deck elevators. Probably will be replaced eventually.

Old 01-31-2024, 03:26 PM

Is this still the city's #1 traffic priority?

This article is almost 3 years old: https://www.al.com/news/2021/07/hunt...0-million.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area