Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2022, 02:42 PM

11,104 posts, read 7,163,187 times

Advertisements

I moved to this area 2 years ago this month. In only two years I feel a different "vibe" while driving up and down 231. (I don't really drive the other roads or highways.) Obviously, after Covid and people going back to work, etc. there was more traffic. But it's also that in my experience there is more aggression and speeding than in the past. I'm very sensitive to those things because of being from Southern California. I visited Phoenix in March and again in late April, driving to and from the West Coast. I was horrified at the increase in traffic and aggression on the freeways in Phoenix. I would hate to see that happen to Huntsville, but it is likely. It is unavoidable.

The projects you mention are likely in the far future because this area isn't as classically desirable as Southern California was with its weather and diverse terrain, as well as cheap housing back in the day (way back). But Huntsville is growing and the more people come here the less it will be a "highly desirable" "livable city."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 02:55 PM

166 posts, read 185,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I moved to this area 2 years ago this month. In only two years I feel a different "vibe" while driving up and down 231. (I don't really drive the other roads or highways.) Obviously, after Covid and people going back to work, etc. there was more traffic. But it's also that in my experience there is more aggression and speeding than in the past. I'm very sensitive to those things because of being from Southern California. I visited Phoenix in March and again in late April, driving to and from the West Coast. I was horrified at the increase in traffic and aggression on the freeways in Phoenix. I would hate to see that happen to Huntsville, but it is likely. It is unavoidable.

The projects you mention are likely in the far future because this area isn't as classically desirable as Southern California was with its weather and diverse terrain, as well as cheap housing back in the day (way back). But Huntsville is growing and the more people come here the less it will be a "highly desirable" "livable city."

I've been here since 2005. It's very different from back during that time. The last 5 years has really changed this area. There's never been this level of growth and it's not slowing down with more and more projects being announced.

I lived in Orlando for a little bit and there's a similar situation with only having one major Interstate going through the area. Same with Austin, TX. The toll roads are what make a difference. It's a major problem heading Huntsville's way.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:08 PM

11,104 posts, read 7,163,187 times
I'm not familiar with toll roads, especially as to solving traffic problems. Visited Chicago and suburbs a few years ago and was horrified at the cost of all those toll roads. It seems like everywhere I move, it's right before huge challenges in terms of rapid growth, traffic and COL.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I'm not familiar with toll roads, especially as to solving traffic problems. Visited Chicago and suburbs a few years ago and was horrified at the cost of all those toll roads. It seems like everywhere I move, it's right before huge challenges in terms of rapid growth, traffic and COL.

Only because I know the state and ALDOT will not keep up with the growth of the area. They've never had to deal with growth like this in the state. There's 2 areas in the state growing at this level. On the coast and Huntsville. They both are experiencing traffic problems. The Birmingham area grew to be the size that it is over a longer amount of time, but still there's traffic issues there as well. It takes decades to get large projects done in this state when they announce them. Maybe it will be better in the future with new minds in Montgomery, but we are also losing Senator Shelby who could push for a lot of government dollars to come from Washington D.C. I don't know how much pull these newer senators will have.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:34 PM

13,451 posts, read 9,963,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_NorthHSV View Post
I've been here since 2005. It's very different from back during that time. The last 5 years has really changed this area. There's never been this level of growth and it's not slowing down with more and more projects being announced.

I lived in Orlando for a little bit and there's a similar situation with only having one major Interstate going through the area. Same with Austin, TX. The toll roads are what make a difference. It's a major problem heading Huntsville's way.
And I think toll roads are going to have to be the answer here. Obviously, ALDOT isn't going to step up and reprioritize projects as they should. I won't mind toll roads as long as the price is reasonable.

At least Orlando and Austin have one major Interstate. We only have a spur that's used for local traffic. Going north/south isn't all that bad, but east/west is quite difficult. The Atlanta freeway needs to be back on the table with top priority.

Old 10-17-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Only because I know the state and ALDOT will not keep up with the growth of the area. They've never had to deal with growth like this in the state. There's 2 areas in the state growing at this level. On the coast and Huntsville. They both are experiencing traffic problems. The Birmingham area grew to be the size that it is over a longer amount of time, but still there's traffic issues there as well. It takes decades to get large projects done in this state when they announce them. Maybe it will be better in the future with new minds in Montgomery, but we are also losing Senator Shelby who could push for a lot of government dollars to come from Washington D.C. I don't know how much pull these newer senators will have.
Birmingham grew rapidly in the 1800s and early 1900s, possibly faster than Huntsville is now, but there were no cars until 1900, then they weren't popular well into the 1900s, so there was no need for elaborate highways at the time. I believe Birmingham peaked in the 1950s, close to 350,000, and that's when the Interstate highway system was envisioned and laid out. And now there doesn't seem to much effort in the state to keep up with new needs.

Last edited by RocketDawg; 10-17-2022 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-17-2022, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Ugh. At least they are restricted from the historical residential area.
Agree with that. In fact, building heights are phased the farther away from the historic areas, as they should be.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
And I think toll roads are going to have to be the answer here. Obviously, ALDOT isn't going to step up and reprioritize projects as they should. I won't mind toll roads as long as the price is reasonable.

At least Orlando and Austin have one major Interstate. We only have a spur that's used for local traffic. Going north/south isn't all that bad, but east/west is quite difficult. The Atlanta freeway needs to be back on the table with top priority.
I still kind of count I-65 as being one even though it's not necessarily next to Huntsville, but that was a decision made before Huntsville was what it is.

Maybe a connection from 255 to I-65 would be more likely.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:42 PM

Quote:
I still kind of count I-65 as being one even though it's not necessarily next to Huntsville, but that was a decision made before Huntsville was what it is.

Maybe a connection from 255 to I-65 would be more likely.
Technically, I think 65 is now partially in the Huntsville city limits, but for practical purposes it's a drive away. Hwy 72 should've been made limited access while they had the chance. It's too late now since it's built up. And they (ALDOT) can't even get it widened in a timely manner, let alone build a freeway there.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:50 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,672,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Technically, I think 65 is now partially in the Huntsville city limits, but for practical purposes it's a drive away. Hwy 72 should've been made limited access while they had the chance. It's too late now since it's built up. And they (ALDOT) can't even get it widened in a timely manner, let alone build a freeway there.
Highway 53, Jordan Lane is another lost opportunity, aldot has been promising to 4 lane it for 30 years.
Memorial parkway , north of Winchester should be controlled access to the state line with bypasses around Meridianville and Hazel Green. A Federal Highway that hasn’t been improved significantly since the 1960’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Huntsville-Madison-Decatur area