Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 01:10 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times

Advertisements

Tags don't bother me, but yes, we all need to was clothing, towels and bed linens before use. Nasty bugs and chemicals abound...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 01:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
So if Target and Walmart are the places to avoid, where does one get quality towels?
I've had good luck at Bed Bath and Beyond. I buy from the big wall displays. I do not choose the most expensive towels. I recently bought towel/hand towel/washcloth sets in 4 colors for my guest bath, so any guest will automatically know which towel is theirs. I've washed these several times and they seem to be doing fine. And I use coupons.

Four years ago I bought similar towels for my new master from Bed Bath and Beyond and Target. The Target towels have not performed as well as the BB& B towels.

I don't buy the cheapest towels. I go middle of the road. I think the cheaper towels are not made well, don't stay as absorbent and come unraveled at the hems. I don't feel I can afford the most expensive towels.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I have a couple of Cannon towels from years ago that are holding up real well.....NEVER cut off the tags as they tell me where they were made (brand) and how long their quality lasted.

I hate seeing items that say "made with Imported product/etc"

Source of the cotton used is the answer to any longevity.

Same for the wash rags or dish rags.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:29 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I have seen the same flaws on towels as OP, that I have bought at places like Walmart and Tuesday Morning, and other bargain places. I have learned that you get what you pay for so, since I don't have a lot of wear and tear on linens and a good towel will last many years, I buy them from Lands End or The Company Store. I also only buy bath sheets, not bath towels. Most of them are white so I can bleach them.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
I think that the many pulls in a towel has to do with how it is made. The cheaper towels have a short even nap, unlike the thicker, nicer towels. The cheaper ones are easy to pull threads from. I think in this case the nap is loose in the body of the towel, and can pull out. Somewhere I've run into an explanation of this, but I can't find it on the net.

The better quality towels might get a pull or two, but the threads won't pull out and ladder the towel.

I am not sure this has to do with where it was made, but more the about the quality of the towel itself. Most of our textiles are no longer made in the USA. Apparently that industry has gone forever.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Have had good luck with Charisma towels from Costco. Have the bath and hand towels and the washcloths. Had them for 1.5 years now, washed many times, still great. Took many washings to lose the fuzz, but that's normal for towels:

Charisma® 100% Hygro Cotton 674 GSM 6-pc. Towel Set

Old 07-15-2016, 05:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,368,091 times
I like towels made in Portugal.

Saw something different a few days ago... a towel sold through Zarahome, with care directions to "dry-clean only." Who takes towels to the dry cleaner? LOL.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:14 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
also, (as a clothesline user only), the better the towel, when they come off the clothesline they are soft, and I don't ever use fabric softner (its toxic).

Only cheap towels taken off a clothesline are like sand paper.

just a little tid-bit.....did I just show my age?

PS: My bath towels are all from "Kohl's", I'm very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating