Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,988 times

Advertisements

Speaking of reading labels, I bought a throw blanket with a prominent label that said "Designed in New England",
but when I got it home I found a small tag that said "Made in China"......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 06:47 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Speaking of reading labels, I bought a throw blanket with a prominent label that said "Designed in New England",
but when I got it home I found a small tag that said "Made in China"......

Yup-you have to be careful. Sometimes they will say "Made in U.S.A. with imported material." What does that mean exactly? Where was it imported from? They never tell you that.

I buy on-line a lot and sometimes they just "Imported." When I see that, I assume it is China.

I TRY very hard to buy stuff that is made in the U.S. but can't always do that. But, if I have to buy something that is not made here, I try to get something that is made any place but China. Of course I can't always do that either. So, there are times when I am stuck having to buy something that was made in China. And I cringe every time I must do that.

Cat

Old 07-20-2014, 10:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Being by myself (retired/widowed) have a bunch of towels. I always buy 2-4 at a time.

Had a habit of throwing a towel into the hamper after every day shower thus a 7 day of towels in the laundry.

Was told not do that but just hang them up on the shower door to allow it to dry overnight/next day.

I'm a clean person and noticed a light odor after a couple of days of shower drying off....they are white.

Have one large CANNON towel that I do not recall buying...may have inherited it from my late mother...cannot recall.

Anyway this towel (also white) does not show any odor after 4-5 days of drying myself but will still place in hamper..in case.

Label is faded so cannot read where it was made.....probably in the USA.

Not so much where a product is made but the COTTON is NOT the same and maybe the dyes they use in the other countries.

I have a similar problem with my WHITE T shirts that are sagging and have an odor even after using bleach in the wash.

I do think it's the area/country of mfg in all the outsourced suppliers.....American brand name or not.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Simple answer:

Made in China

Need I say anything else?

Ok just one thing: Karen Neuburger (sounds so American doesn't it) has partnered up with Cranston New York which is China's largest towel and linin manufacturer.

Look at the label before buying ANYTHING !!!!

2 thirds of all imported Chinese products are identified as defective by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. About 10% of that number is downright dangerous to deadly because of dangerous chemicals which are banned in the USA being used to manufacture them. Americans are getting sick from all kinds of construction materials, toys and clothing made in China. Some cases lead to death.

This whole thing sickens me that people here would sacrifice their and their family's health to save a few pennies......and lose a few more American jobs.
Chinese products for the most part are trash.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
My towels that I purchased at Daytons (a high quality store that was bought out by Macy's) back in 1983 are still great. They have held their color and no fraying. The seams are all selvedge edges and fringed. I regularly bleach them and dry on hot with dyer sheets, no spots or tears and just as soft and absorbent as when I bought them. Sometimes I wonder how long they will last. They are dark forrest green so of course I don't display them but I really like using them.

The towels I have bought since from other stores have failed to live up to the old green ones. They get those white spots, the sewn edging frays, they shrink up where the embroidery is stitched. I'm so frustrated but not ready to spend the big buck at pottery barn yet. Maybe when the green ones fall apart...

Old 07-20-2014, 11:35 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default Fumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctx View Post
There have been times when I've walked into a store that sells alot of things manufactured in China and nearly become ill just walking in the store. Some parts of Walmart and Target, and dollar store-type places, particularly their shoe departments, will make me feel sick because of the fumes. Its probably the glue or something...but it smells awful.

Back to the OPs question, I have the same problem and would like to know some recommendations for towel brands that are a good weave and do not pull easily. Thanks.
I thought it was only me, and that I just had a sensitive nose, but when I walk through a store and I pass by shoes, household goods, especially those made out of rubber or plastic, I feel like I have to get away fast. If I stay in an area with the plastic smell for a while, I sometimes start getting a headache or my nose starts running. It can't be anything good in some of the plastic/rubber products if it can cause a reaction like that. I would never buy a rubber Made In China toy for a dog or cat now, but mostly all the pet toys are made there. If I have no other choices, I'd just buy a furry toy, with as little plastic as possible - I'd smell the plastic before purchasing, too.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:53 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I buy towels at Goodwill, Walmart and Target. My Target ones are by far the softest.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Our linen closet is filled with a mish mash of towels going back 25 years. A JCPenny here, a Lennox there, a few of those 1888 Mills things from Costco, and a few that just showed up, I have no idea how. Once my boys are both out of the house I'm going to dump the older ones but they are convenient for now and I don't want to spend money on something that just ends up on the floor...haha.

I loved the Pinzon hydro cotton from Amazon but before I could buy a bunch they discontinued them. The ones I have are 10 years old and I'm cutting threads off after each wash. My current go-to towels are Nordstrom Home hydrocotton. They are made in Turkey and are a good, solid towel. It feels right to me (not to heavy, thin, fluffy, etc.) good size and the color is perfect. I've only had them for 2 years but so far so good. If it was just me I'd ditch everything else and buy a bunch of these.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:57 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I thought it was only me, and that I just had a sensitive nose, but when I walk through a store and I pass by shoes, household goods, especially those made out of rubber or plastic, I feel like I have to get away fast. If I stay in an area with the plastic smell for a while, I sometimes start getting a headache or my nose starts running. It can't be anything good in some of the plastic/rubber products if it can cause a reaction like that. I would never buy a rubber Made In China toy for a dog or cat now, but mostly all the pet toys are made there. If I have no other choices, I'd just buy a furry toy, with as little plastic as possible - I'd smell the plastic before purchasing, too.
Until you mentioned it, I had simply not connected the horrible smell of products with that, but it's true, the products are slowly getting worse and of poorer quality.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
A few years ago, I realized that I hadn't bought any new towels in a long time and most of ours were not in the best condition. First I bought a set for just us that were made in the U.S. from JCPenny. Then, I realized that we needed a bunch of new guest towels. I bought a bunch of Cannons from also from JCPenny. They weren't made in the U.S. but they weren't made in China either-Pakistan. They are ok. I will have to buy a few more guest towels in the next couple of months. Not too sure what I will find when I start looking. I am hoping to find more that are made in the U.S. at half-way decent prices.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating