Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:29 AM

146 posts, read 295,264 times

Advertisements

I thought I got through the hard part of picking tile for the bath. I didn't know there were even more decisions and this is where I need advice!

Tiling contractor asked me which one of the three options I wanted to finish off tile, as it joins the walls on the floors:
1. Wood base with wood quarter round (like rest of home)
2. Tile molding, to come up X inches from tile floor, capped with bullnose (general contractor liked this idea, tile guy said it makes space look industrial).
3. Nothing - just run tile right up to the wall.

Design is transitional, leaning toward modern.

Please, please - I'm seeking advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:05 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,137,639 times
Wood molding in the bathroom would be not happening in my world. Either of the other two would work. Personally, I don't think anyone really gives too much thought in looking at bathroom moldings so I would pick which ever one were cheaper, if negligible difference, I would go with the one I thought was most pleasing to me.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 PM

491 posts, read 2,291,361 times
This is largely a design issue and we need to see pictures to be able to put in our two cents.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:11 PM

17,477 posts, read 66,104,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecar View Post
I thought I got through the hard part of picking tile for the bath. I didn't know there were even more decisions and this is where I need advice!

Tiling contractor asked me which one of the three options I wanted to finish off tile, as it joins the walls on the floors:
1. Wood base with wood quarter round (like rest of home)
This would be my first choice because it keeps the continuity with the rest of the house (just make sure that they use real wood or pvc- not MDF).
2. Tile molding, to come up X inches from tile floor, capped with bullnose (general contractor liked this idea, tile guy said it makes space look industrial).
That sounds like crap. And it's certainly no better than "base tile".
3. Nothing - just run tile right up to the wall.
Sounds too minimalist- and it would be a pain in the ass to keep from getting beat-up, scuffed, and just plain dirty from sweeping, dusting, or mopping.

Design is transitional, leaning toward modern.
Leaning towards modern says big 18-22" tiles floor to ceiling- considered that?

Please, please - I'm seeking advice!
It's definitely NOT a design issue (well, maybe if it where a commercial space!)- it's a personal choice issue.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,101,269 times
I'd do option #1. It's the best solution to tie the updated bathroom to the existing architecture of the home.

Optionn #2 is too clinical looking. I wouldn't consider this option.

Option #3 will look incomplete, undone and cheap.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Personally, I don't think anyone really gives too much thought in looking at bathroom moldings.....
I look at bathroom moldings. I notice when molding doesn't match the rest of a house.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:22 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,137,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I look at bathroom moldings. I notice when molding doesn't match the rest of a house.
Oops, Hopes, please don't come to my house as I have hardwood throughout and all my moldings match but other than my vanity there is no wood in my bathroom. LOL

Old 07-19-2012, 01:16 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,431,256 times
I have seen thousands of bathrooms and in probably 95% of em that have the floors fully tiles and the walls fully tiled the installers WISELY tile the wall all the way to the floor / floor all the way to the floor. Nice clean grout joint.

There are maybe 3% that use special tile(s) that match the wall to give either a "hospital style" finish with "c curved" base OR an "srty look" with a round over tile base.

That leaves about 2% of people (mostly clueless DIYers...) that plunk down WOOD quarter round that simply DOES NOT HOLD UP AT ALL in bathrooms with all the moisture that cannot help but accumulate from even a fully sealed shower / bath enclosure. No one can fully dry off while still in such an enclosure and there is also condensation, spills / overflows.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
That leaves about 2% of people (mostly clueless DIYers...) that plunk down WOOD quarter round that simply DOES NOT HOLD UP AT ALL in bathrooms with all the moisture that cannot help but accumulate from even a fully sealed shower / bath enclosure. No one can fully dry off while still in such an enclosure and there is also condensation, spills / overflows.
That's funny.

Almost all homes in my region were/are BUILT by developers with wood trim in the bathrooms.

Of course, the areas near the bathtub and shower have tile walls.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:30 AM

17,477 posts, read 66,104,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I have seen thousands of bathrooms and in probably 95% of em that have the floors fully tiles and the walls fully tiled the installers WISELY tile the wall all the way to the floor / floor all the way to the floor. Nice clean grout joint.

There are maybe 3% that use special tile(s) that match the wall to give either a "hospital style" finish with "c curved" base OR an "srty look" with a round over tile base.

Seriously?
You're reaching dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating