Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 08:26 PM

660 posts, read 1,654,986 times

Advertisements

So....no mention about you being wrong about hockey being a "regional" sport???

I'll repeat: Columbus is financially strong, sells loads of tickets, and the city is crazy about their team.

They aren't going ANYWHERE!

Quote:
The NHL just doesn't get enough support in small market towns
The idea that a great fan following, being financially strong, and excellent ticket sales is somehow not giving their team enough support doesn't even make sense. And Columbus isn't exactly a small city.

PS: You're actually attempting to compare Phoenix where they couldn't give away tickets (until this season) to Columbus?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:03 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,344,179 times
Good showing last night by both teams, I thought both goalies played excellent. Hawks defense still is suspect as the Flyers had multiple opportunities to score last night.

Looking forward to tomorrow night in Philly, I'm sure that members of the 75 cup team will be present (Clarke, Barbour, Parent) in addition to hearing Kate Smith

Old 06-01-2010, 07:26 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,979,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post

I'll repeat: Columbus is financially strong, sells loads of tickets, and the city is crazy about their team.

The idea that a great fan following, being financially strong, and excellent ticket sales is somehow not giving their team enough support doesn't even make sense. And Columbus isn't exactly a small city.

PS: You're actually attempting to compare Phoenix where they couldn't give away tickets (until this season) to Columbus?

Wrong again....your still not seeing the big picture. The NHL had to institute the salary cap to keep the small market teams from drowning financially.....they just couldn't compete financially with teams in larger revenue markets. Ticket sales to fans is only a small part of the revenue pot.....local tv contracts and a large pool of potential revenue for high profile player commerical endorsements is also needed to sign potential free agents......if your a free agent and lloking for money from commercial endorsements where are you going to sign......Columbus....or......Philadelphia, New York, Toronto, LA, etc. You can fill your builing with supportive fans and still lose money.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
Good showing last night by both teams, I thought both goalies played excellent. Hawks defense still is suspect as the Flyers had multiple opportunities to score last night.

Looking forward to tomorrow night in Philly, I'm sure that members of the 75 cup team will be present (Clarke, Barbour, Parent) in addition to hearing Kate Smith
As a Flyers fan the first two games have been frustrating. That being said I don't think you can blame either loss on Leighton. In game one the defense didn't give him much help and in game two if you only score one goal your not going to win many games. Perhaps I am biased but I think the Flyers outplayed the Hawks for much of the last two periods in game two with plenty of scoring opportunities and could just as easily have won that game. Perhaps having last line change at home will allow Laviolette to get the player match up he wants now ?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:56 AM

...and you KNOW for CERTAIN that players in Columbus do no commercial endorsements?

I'm afraid they do. Maybe you should go there are see for yourself.

There are also plenty of large corporate sponsors.

Columbus is larger than Pittsburgh. It's also the largest city in Ohio, the 4th largest city in the Midwest, and 16th largest city in the USA.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,942,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post

Even though I'm pulling for the 'Hawks, a Kate Smith 'God Bless America' would bring a tear to my eye. I also think it would be cool (and I bet the place would go nuts) if Dave Shultz or Bobby Clarke would drop the opening puck.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:51 AM

41,983 posts, read 75,262,058 times
Don't call him 'Bobby'!

Old 06-02-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:

I think its safe to compare Phoenix to Columbus as Phoenix is the 6th largest city ? Forgetting that, you don't seem to listen to the fact that even with a sold out building ticket sales aren't enough to make a team financially successful. There are a lot more revenue sources needed.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:00 PM

Ahhh...but in Phoenix they couldn't give tickets away, so again...no comparison.

And by the way...Phoenix isn't IN the MIDWEST! Arizona is a WESTERN State.

I did listen to you saying that other sources of revenue are needed....but you didn't seem to hear me say that they DO have those sources in Columbus.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Ahhh...but in Phoenix they couldn't give tickets away, so again...no comparison.

And by the way...Phoenix isn't IN the MIDWEST! Arizona is a WESTERN State.

I did listen to you saying that other sources of revenue are needed....but you didn't seem to hear me say that they DO have those sources in Columbus.

But.....the foundation of your point that Columbus was a large city....ranked #16......and that a larger city will produce enough of a fan base to support an NHL team.....yet Phoenix is #6 and couldn't/wouldn't support a team......your logic has to be wrong on at least one level, maybe two......large cities don't translate into automatic fan support.....or.....the "region" doesn't have interest.....either way, your wrong.....again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.