Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 09:00 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,347,902 times

Advertisements

What a great game, Hawks pull out a 6-5 win.

Question for the Flyers faithful, does Leighton goes back between the pipes or does Laviolette stick with Boucher.

Quennville has to be concerned with his defense, they played like junk.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:34 PM

660 posts, read 1,657,681 times
Both defense weren't too great if you think about it.

Coburn simply can't cough-up that puck on the blue line during a PP.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:36 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,417,855 times
WOW. One of the most entertaining Hockey games I've ever seen. Not overly physical. Lots of goals and a really beautiful save late. Awesome.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:26 AM

It was entertaining for sure.

Random thoughts....

Leighton didn't make any great saves, Boucher did.
Nieme really played better in the 3rd. He came up big when he had to.
Going into the 3rd, it was basically a 0-0 game and the Hawks outplayed the Flyers in that period.
Who'd ever think the team with the most penalty minutes in the regular season would not get a single whistle blown against them in the entire game?
Normally, a game 1 is a "feeling out" type of game.....both teams simply went for it instead.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM

1,966 posts, read 4,347,902 times
Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend and remembering those who have sacrificed so much for our freedoms

Now onto tonights game, we know that Leighton is back in goal for the Flyers. What adjustments should each team make?

Blackhawks defense simply looked tired, I don't know if it was nerves but they can't expect to play the entire series like they did in game 1. Plus they can't take the same crazy penalties they took in game 1. The Flyers are too good and will make short work of the series.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:47 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,986,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfinnova View Post
What a great game, Hawks pull out a 6-5 win.

Question for the Flyers faithful, does Leighton goes back between the pipes or does Laviolette stick with Boucher.

Quennville has to be concerned with his defense, they played like junk.
I was away for the holiday weekend and had to listen to the game on a crackling, staticky radio but my thoughts are that neither coach was happy with the "run and gun" game both teams got tangled up in. That being said I don't think Laviolette is the type to "panic" and yank Leighton in favor of Boucher.......If you remember correctly when the Flyers were down 3-0 in game 7 with the Bruins Laviolette called a time out and calmly settled down his team into what could be the playoff come back of all time. I doubt he will panic losing one game. Year long stats show the Flyers are simply a better team with Leighton in net. From what I could "hear" on the radio both goalies were "shaky" ? The last poor game leighton had losing 5-1 to Montreal he came back with 2 shutouts. While the Flyers lost game one playing poorly I'm sure the Hawks took notice that they game up 5 goals ? Game 2 should be a more defensivly played game by both teams.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:37 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,970,400 times
Looking forward to tonights Game 2.

On ESPN website Friday was a poll of the most anticipated matchup for the evening. Flyers v Hawks Gm 1, or Suns v Lakers Gm 6. They had a breakdown of the 50 sates in voting. Only IL, Penn, DEL, and NJ favored hockey in a roughly 60-40 lead. The majority of other states were 75-25 in favor of hoops. Sadly we have a way to go my fellow puck fans.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Looking forward to tonights Game 2.

On ESPN website Friday was a poll of the most anticipated matchup for the evening. Flyers v Hawks Gm 1, or Suns v Lakers Gm 6. They had a breakdown of the 50 sates in voting. Only IL, Penn, DEL, and NJ favored hockey in a roughly 60-40 lead. The majority of other states were 75-25 in favor of hoops. Sadly we have a way to go my fellow puck fans.
Well......don't get too down.....I really don't see the US ever embracing hockey across the country as much as other sports. While expansion is a commendable goal Mr. Bettmans "vision" of expanding hockey just isn't financially practical in many "small market" areas, as evidenced by the numerous small market teams that struggle financially and end up moving to another small market or a town where the NHL has already failed once. We just need to concentrate on the financially viable markets and quit trying to expand into the desert or towns like Columbus, Kansas City, etc and accept that we have a "regional" sport !!!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:30 PM

Ummmm...Columbus? The Blue Jackets have a great fan following there in Columbus. They aren't hurting financially and they sell loads of tickets.

I wouldn't even call it a "regional" sport in the USA...unless you call that region the entire US. From New York and Boston to LA and San Jose, and from Minnesota to Dallas.....all have faithful fansbases. Certain TOWNS may not be ready, but I wouldn't classify it as "regional".

Old 05-31-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTurner View Post
Ummmm...Columbus? The Blue Jackets have a great fan following there in Columbus. They aren't hurting financially and they sell loads of tickets.

I wouldn't even call it a "regional" sport in the USA...unless you call that region the entire US. From New York and Boston to LA and San Jose, and from Minnesota to Dallas.....all have faithful fansbases. Certain TOWNS may not be ready, but I wouldn't classify it as "regional".

Wrong again.....a fan following isn't nearly enough to make an nhl team financially successful......example: Atlanta Flames, Kansas City Scouts, Quebec Nordiques, Winnipeg Jets, Colorado Rockies, California Golden Seals, Hartford Whalers and soon to be Phoenix Coyotes. The NHL just doesn't get enough support in small market towns....wake up and smell the coffee or are you related to Gary Bettman ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey