Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 04:34 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yes - a coat hanger abortion is some states can be prosecuted criminally

well thank goodness abortion is legal and safe and women no longer resort to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:50 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If someone harms or causes the death of an unborn child, that person can be charged with a criminal act up to and including 1st Degree Murder.
Such has indeed occured.

Unfortunatly for your argument, none have been convicted of such.

That's why one doesn't see it in the news anymore.

Once can be convicted of criminaly ugly, doens't mean ugly is against the law and will stick.

Just more anti-choice nonsence.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
It's a non-issue for me--I'm male.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:47 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Then we are going to have to up the overall death rate. Many eggs are fertilized, but the egg never reaches the womb wall, its to close to their period, the mothers body rejects it.

You see, when sperm fertilizes an egg, the egg becomes a zygote. The Zygote is a fertilized egg, that is dividing into multiple cells, and is in the fallopian tubes. After about 3 days, the zygote drops out of the fallopian tube, into the womb. Its job then is to reach the womb wall, and implant itself. Actually, many zygotes don't get that far, and the woman really never even knows she had a zygote inside of her.

This is why the bundle of cells isn't considered life, until later on. If it doesn't even reach the womb wall, it will never be born.

Educate yourself on the pregnancy process, its amazing we have babies at all. But saying that life begins at conception, is just asinine.
Exactly! Getting pregnant in the first place is actually pretty amazing.

On a side note, I found out something very interesting. A source I know works in an OB office. A patient who is pregnant found out her baby is not well and needs a procedure. This procedure can be performed on the baby while still in the womb. The insurance company will not cover it because they do not consider her baby a human being yet. The baby has to be born first. So this patient has to sit tight and hope that when the baby is born and lives, then this much needed procedure can be performed. So this had me thinking, where are all the pro-lifers at? Why is this issue not being addressed? Would you consider this murder if the baby dies because medical care was denied?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:00 AM

516 posts, read 1,375,703 times
What happens when a baby can survive without the womb at 15 weeks? Babies are already surviving at 25 weeks when delivered premature?

Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
What happens when a baby can survive without the womb at 15 weeks? Babies are already surviving at 25 weeks when delivered premature?
Ignoring for the moment the herulean medical task of keeping premies alive, and the rarity of said early premies at 24 weeks (15 weeks just ain't gonna happen).

What is the quality of life for those early premies? Most end up with life impacting injuries, especially brain damage, if they survive.

21 weeks or less: 0% survival rate, 22 weeks: 0-10%, 23 weeks: 10-35%, 24 weeks: 40-70% survival rate, 25 weeks: 50-80%, 26 weeks: 80-90%, and at 27 weeks: greater than 90% survival rate. Premies account for 10% of neonatal deaths, some 500,000 each year globally.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Ignoring for the moment the herulean medical task of keeping premies alive, and the rarity of said early premies at 24 weeks (15 weeks just ain't gonna happen).

What is the quality of life for those early premies? Most end up with life impacting injuries, especially brain damage, if they survive.

21 weeks or less: 0% survival rate, 22 weeks: 0-10%, 23 weeks: 10-35%, 24 weeks: 40-70% survival rate, 25 weeks: 50-80%, 26 weeks: 80-90%, and at 27 weeks: greater than 90% survival rate. Premies account for 10% of neonatal deaths, some 500,000 each year globally.

You say it "ain't gonna happen" but how many people 10 - 20 years ago said that a 24 week preemie isn't going to survive? I mean, we've made such huge leaps.. I know of a baby who was born at 26 weeks and the baby is totally 100 percent normal. No issues. Another preemie I know who was born at 31 weeks spent only 14 or so days in the NICU.. I mean, the way things are going it's not crazy to imagine a time when 15 week preemies can and will survive.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
You say it "ain't gonna happen" but how many people 10 - 20 years ago said that a 24 week preemie isn't going to survive? I mean, we've made such huge leaps.. I know of a baby who was born at 26 weeks and the baby is totally 100 percent normal. No issues. Another preemie I know who was born at 31 weeks spent only 14 or so days in the NICU.. I mean, the way things are going it's not crazy to imagine a time when 15 week preemies can and will survive.
There just isn't enough development at 15 weeks for such a premie to survive.

At that stage, the fetus is only 3 inches long and weighs app. an ounce, and none of the organs are developed enough for the fetus to survive on it's own.

Now, if you want to talk of some development of an artificial womb, then you would have a point.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
There just isn't enough development at 15 weeks for such a premie to survive.

At that stage, the fetus is only 3 inches long and weighs app. an ounce, and none of the organs are developed enough for the fetus to survive on it's own.

Now, if you want to talk of some development of an artificial womb, then you would have a point.

So we think NOW.. but that just may not be the case in years to come. We just don't know.

But say we CAN support a preemie that small.. is abortion still okay?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:45 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Absolutely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates