Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2009, 03:13 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anywhereelse View Post
just try and adopt one of those children in state care, any state. They like to hang onto that work count. Often a child goes in very young and they just hang onto them and when they finally get so messed up by foster care they start looking for homes. Private agencies place kids and states consider them no more than work count. We adopted an infant with special needs through a private agency after trying to adopt an older child through the state - it took them two years to do a homestudy! Abortion is murder and i realize you make up a lot in your own mind to say it isn't so with all kinds of excuses and one of those being that a child like my son with disabilities is a burden or has no quality of life and i am betting his quality of life as an adult living at home with his family beats the heck out of a lot of other lives and especially of those that never had the chance. Birth control is too readily available to have much of an excuse anymore for unplanned pregnancy. Abortion is murder and those that indulge will answer to god. It is mostly a matter of convenience - how inhumane!

+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 03:14 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Just try and adopt one of those children in State care, any state. They like to hang onto that work count. Often a child goes in very young and they just hang onto them and when they finally get so messed up by foster care they start looking for homes. Private agencies place kids and states consider them no more than work count. We adopted an infant with special needs through a private agency after trying to adopt an older child through the State - it took them two years to do a homestudy! Abortion is murder and I realize you make up a lot in your own mind to say it isn't so with all kinds of excuses and one of those being that a child like my son with disabilities is a burden or has no quality of life and I am betting his quality of life as an adult living at home with his family beats the heck out of a lot of other lives and especially of those that never had the chance. Birth control is too readily available to have much of an excuse anymore for unplanned pregnancy. Abortion is murder and those that indulge will answer to God. It is mostly a matter of convenience - how inhumane!
The mourning after pill, aka plan B, prevents the zygote from implanting in the uterus. Thats not considered abortion, because the zygote, while fertilized, isn't considered to be alive, until it reaches the uterine wall, because it can't sustain itself without attaching to the mother.

But arguing this issue with Religious people who have no respect for science is like talking to my coffee table. Sure, it might make me feel better, but its not going to get me anywhere.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:19 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,412,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Just try and adopt one of those children in State care, any state. They like to hang onto that work count. Often a child goes in very young and they just hang onto them and when they finally get so messed up by foster care they start looking for homes. Private agencies place kids and states consider them no more than work count. We adopted an infant with special needs through a private agency after trying to adopt an older child through the State - it took them two years to do a homestudy! Abortion is murder and I realize you make up a lot in your own mind to say it isn't so with all kinds of excuses and one of those being that a child like my son with disabilities is a burden or has no quality of life and I am betting his quality of life as an adult living at home with his family beats the heck out of a lot of other lives and especially of those that never had the chance. Birth control is too readily available to have much of an excuse anymore for unplanned pregnancy. Abortion is murder and those that indulge will answer to God. It is mostly a matter of convenience - how inhumane!
Abortions have been occuring since the dawn of man. There are litterally hundred of herbs in the planet's farmicopia that will induce spontanious abortions. The earliest WRITTEN accounts of surgical abortions can be found among the ancient Greeks.

Abortions, of both types were also occuring in this nation all along as well. They didn't suddenly pop into existance after 1973.

I've noticed that people who tend to classify abortions as "murder" also tend to support the death penalty as well, which is, for all intents and purposed state sanctioned murder.

If this is the case, than you would also support state sanctioned abortions as well. Research the "Black Stork" program and other euthanasia programs conducted in the 1940's and 50's as well.

And puhleeze spare us the "social martyr" act with your adoption of a "special needs" child.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The mourning after pill, aka plan B, prevents the zygote from implanting in the uterus. Thats not considered abortion, because the zygote, while fertilized, isn't considered to be alive, until it reaches the uterine wall, because it can't sustain itself without attaching to the mother.

But arguing this issue with Religious people who have no respect for science is like talking to my coffee table. Sure, it might make me feel better, but its not going to get me anywhere.
Indeed and agreed.

These same people are RESPONSIBLE for many of the abortions as well, by insisting on abstinence only programs and fighting against condom use and concerns like the Morning After Pill.

I can recall a few incidences of pharmacists refusing to dispense either on "religious grounds".

Hypocracy and arrgoance at it's finest.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
Abortions have been occuring since the dawn of man. There are litterally hundred of herbs in the planet's farmicopia that will induce spontanious abortions. The earliest WRITTEN accounts of surgical abortions can be found among the ancient Greeks.

Abortions, of both types were also occuring in this nation all along as well. They didn't suddenly pop into existance after 1973.

I've noticed that people who tend to classify abortions as "murder" also tend to support the death penalty as well, which is, for all intents and purposed state sanctioned murder.

If this is the case, than you would also support state sanctioned abortions as well. Research the "Black Stork" program and other euthanasia programs conducted in the 1940's and 50's as well.

And puhleeze spare us the "social martyr" act with your adoption of a "special needs" child.

It takes a very special person indeed to adopt a special needs child. No one is trying to play martyr, simply stating the facts.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
It takes a very special person indeed to adopt a special needs child. No one is trying to play martyr, simply stating the facts.
A person who is merely "stating the facts" isn't going to do so merely to substantiate their personal views, or to make themselves look better.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxisMundi View Post
A person who is merely "stating the facts" isn't going to do so merely to substantiate their personal views, or to make themselves look better.

sure they do...in personal experience(s) you learn the facts. While I do not know this other poster, I can for a fact tell you that he/she is correct in their assessment.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:40 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post
In that case, removing a cancerous tumor removed would be the equivalent of having an abortion since that which was growing becomes dead.
True....and then, all you have to do is somehow equate a baby with a cancerous tumor, and your analogy is complete...

Old 08-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
sure they do...in personal experience(s) you learn the facts. While I do not know this other poster, I can for a fact tell you that he/she is correct in their assessment.
You mean matches your opinion?

Certainly.

This thread is about abortion. The other poster brought in her adopted child to parade about on stage as if this made her a better person or more authoritative.

While I certainly agree that not everyone who adopts a special needs child (or worked with them extensive, as I have) is a social martyr, when that child is paraded around in such a manner, it is quite safe to assume, from MY personal experiences with the parents of adopted special need chidlren, that that person is indeed a social martyr.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
True....and then, all you have to do is somehow equate a baby with a cancerous tumor, and your analogy is complete...
Or equate a bundle of human cells with a baby.

Last edited by AxisMundi; 08-25-2009 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: typos for clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates