Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 01:07 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
What history book? I need references. If she consented to abortion and died would it be assisted suicide, double homicide, or manslaughter?
The prohibition of legal abortion from the 1880s until 1973 came under the same anti-obscenity or Comstock laws that prohibited the dissemination of birth control information and services.
Criminalization of abortion did not reduce the numbers of women who sought abortions. In the years before Roe v. Wade, the estimates of illegal abortions ranged as high as 1.2 million per year.1 Although accurate records could not be kept, it is known that between the 1880s and 1973, many thousands of women were harmed as a result of illegal abortion.
Many women died or suffered serious medical problems after attempting to self-induce their abortions or going to untrained practitioners who performed abortions with primitive methods or in unsanitary conditions. During this time, hospital emergency room staff treated thousands of women who either died or were suffering terrible effects of abortions provided without adequate skill and care.
Some women were able to obtain relatively safer, although still illegal, abortions from private doctors. This practice remained prevalent for the first half of the twentieth century. The rate of reported abortions then began to decline, partly because doctors faced increased scrutiny from their peers and hospital administrators concerned about the legality of their operations.

National Abortion Federation: History of Abortion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:16 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,515,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
People would just go to Canada or Mexico, or get it in a back room alley done.

Which would you rather have,

A clinic performing Abortions, by a good doctor, regulated to certain standards. Or, would you rather have women dying because they got some idiot with a knife doing something on their kitchen table.

You tell me.

I personally would rather have it not an option for the mere means of birth control. Abortion isn't regulated....these are hack and slash doctors. If they weren't they could not do what they do to these babies to terminate.
God help them, they will have to answer for what they do.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:02 AM

226 posts, read 893,811 times
Default Did you not understand the question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
That question is both unreasonable and stupid. If you don't know why, then there's nothing I can say that you will be able to comprehend in even the slightest way.
I know the answer but I want you to tell me because I 'm trying to start the discussion. By the way what are doing on the debate forum if you don't want to debate?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:27 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
Ah, another religious site. Sorry, if you want to argue from a scientific standpoint, you'd be better served to actually use scientific sites rather than ones steeped in your religious beliefs.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,681,732 times
Quote:
I know the answer but I want you to tell me because I 'm trying to start the discussion. By the way what are doing on the debate forum if you don't want to debate?
You weren't trying to start the discussion. You made baseless statements without giving any scientific evidence that they are factual. Try posting some actual credible scientific support for things you hold up as fact.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
The prohibition of legal abortion from the 1880s until 1973 came under the same anti-obscenity or Comstock laws that prohibited the dissemination of birth control information and services.
Criminalization of abortion did not reduce the numbers of women who sought abortions. In the years before Roe v. Wade, the estimates of illegal abortions ranged as high as 1.2 million per year.1 Although accurate records could not be kept, it is known that between the 1880s and 1973, many thousands of women were harmed as a result of illegal abortion.
Many women died or suffered serious medical problems after attempting to self-induce their abortions or going to untrained practitioners who performed abortions with primitive methods or in unsanitary conditions. During this time, hospital emergency room staff treated thousands of women who either died or were suffering terrible effects of abortions provided without adequate skill and care.
Some women were able to obtain relatively safer, although still illegal, abortions from private doctors. This practice remained prevalent for the first half of the twentieth century. The rate of reported abortions then began to decline, partly because doctors faced increased scrutiny from their peers and hospital administrators concerned about the legality of their operations.

National Abortion Federation: History of Abortion
Copy and paste this in your browser and you'll see that your link is from the Pro choice.org website. Fourth selection from the top.

history of abortion - Google Search

Seemed like it may be biased so I went to the second choice from the top at Wikipedia. I learned a lot about the history of abortion. I didn't see anything referencing back alley abortions but the woman did try to abort themselves using concoctions or trying to manually dilate with objects were a few ways.

Throughout history abortion was mainly for prostitutes and unwanted pregnancies of unmarried woman. They didn't have the advanced contraception like we do today so abortion was the last resort "contraceptive" in many cases.

It's hard for a society to transition from something being legal in which anything goes to illegal and takes time to get used to because people have to change their behavior but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

I am in favor of abortion being stripped from the jurisdiction of the supreme court and placed in the hands of the states again where it rightfully belongs. There are times when a mother's life can be at risk such as in a tubal pregnancy whereas the small fetus has a heartbeat but will not survive and an abortion is necessary.

If human life was treated with more respect and abortion procedures were only performed when the woman's life was at risk we wouldn't have a problem. Technology today is far more advanced and we shouldn't be having as many abortions as we do.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:57 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,413,880 times
Quote:
Copy and paste this in your browser and you'll see that your link is from the Pro choice.org website. Fourth selection from the top.

history of abortion - Google Search

Seemed like it may be biased so I went to the second choice from the top at Wikipedia. I learned a lot about the history of abortion. I didn't see anything referencing back alley abortions but the woman did try to abort themselves using concoctions or trying to manually dilate with objects were a few ways.

Throughout history abortion was mainly for prostitutes and unwanted pregnancies of unmarried woman. They didn't have the advanced contraception like we do today so abortion was the last resort "contraceptive" in many cases.

It's hard for a society to transition from something being legal in which anything goes to illegal and takes time to get used to because people have to change their behavior but that doesn't mean it can't be done.

I am in favor of abortion being stripped from the jurisdiction of the supreme court and placed in the hands of the states again where it rightfully belongs. There are times when a mother's life can be at risk such as in a tubal pregnancy whereas the small fetus has a heartbeat but will not survive and an abortion is necessary.

If human life was treated with more respect and abortion procedures were only performed when the woman's life was at risk we wouldn't have a problem. Technology today is far more advanced and we shouldn't be having as many abortions as we do.
While this is quite the nice thought, it is incredibly idealistic. People are not going to stop or even slow down having abortions. You can hold as many protests or criticize people as much as you want, but people are going to keep having unwanted pregnancies. Abortion should always be a choice. A good plan would be to make an abortion cost a substantial amount of money, that way people would only choose abortion if it was really important to them, plus it puts some money into the community so at least some good comes out of it.

But it is really never a good idea to completely take away someone's choice if you are not sure, which is exactly what pro lifers want to do.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 PM

Default Go reread my post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
You weren't trying to start the discussion. You made baseless statements without giving any scientific evidence that they are factual. Try posting some actual credible scientific support for things you hold up as fact.
Alright I'll ask again. When does life begin according to the most recent scientific facts? Go back and you'll see that's what I asked you.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
While this is quite the nice thought, it is incredibly idealistic. People are not going to stop or even slow down having abortions. You can hold as many protests or criticize people as much as you want, but people are going to keep having unwanted pregnancies. Abortion should always be a choice. A good plan would be to make an abortion cost a substantial amount of money, that way people would only choose abortion if it was really important to them, plus it puts some money into the community so at least some good comes out of it.

But it is really never a good idea to completely take away someone's choice if you are not sure, which is exactly what pro lifers want to do.
This is also idealistic according to the same logic. I would disagree. Pro lifers only want to make sure that the life of the unborn is saved. The pregnant woman already had a choice not to get pregnant.

I'm in favor of the decision being left up to the states anyway because sometimes an abortion is necessary. These are hard decisions and should be as local as possible. I am definitely against abortion being an extension of a contraceptive because all it does is promote irresponsible behavior.

A life should be respected and not left up to a woman as just a choice.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Thou shalt not commit murder or do anything like unto it.

My thoughts, only if the pregnancy occured during a rape, or if the mothers life would be in danger if the pregnancy continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates