Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 AM

542 posts, read 1,454,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
They only abstain because of the fear of losing their job, which shows you that it's not addictive (they would use if not against the rules, my buddies who'd get stationed at Camp Pendleton would always want to smoke weed, but didn't simply because of the fear of getting in trouble.) and easy to abstain from. Plus, many of those young enlisted Navy boys (the 21 and under crowd) who don't smoke weed while on leave here in San Diego just choose to drink a gallon of vodka and pass out on a Tijuana sidewalk instead. That's so much safer. However, if marijuana were legalized and just a couple of those pass-out drunks made the switch to Marijuana, the effects would be positive on the Navy, not negative. Marijuana's side effects and consequences (aside from legal ones) are far less harmful than those of alcohol.

I also abstained from Marijuana use while I was in the Navy, but soon after signing my release I began to switch from alcohol to marijuana as my drug of choice. Look at my personal experiences with Alcohol and Marijuana and tell me which is more harmful: I've never driven anywhere when I felt too high to drive, I once had a DUI where I rolled my SUV because I thought I was sober enough to drive and not fall asleep at the wheel...I've never gotten into a fist-fight while high, I sent three people to the hospital in fights and had to be pulled off a bouncer by my friends when drinking at bars...I've been in several committed relationships since I switched including one that's still going after 3+ years, I woke up in really ugly women's beds after blacking out the night before on numerous occaisions luckily avoiding STDs in the process...I have never thrown up or blacked out on even the strongest hashish and pot in Amsterdam, I've got very few clear memories of my Freshman and Sophomore years of college and I ruined three sets of bed-sheets from the spins and the resulting vomiting. See where I'm getting at? On the one hand, we have alcohol, a major force in our economy (watch any televised sporting event, you'll see alcohol being advertised) and a pervasive menace on our society...on the other hand, we have Marijuana, a far less dangerous alternative. So if what you are saying is true, wouldn't we be better off if people switched from Alcohol to Marijuana? Wouldn't we all be safer?

Finally, Alcohol leads to dementia (Steve Dalkowski threw 110 miles per hour and alcohol made him into a derelict homeless man), liver disease, kidney failure, heart disease, horrific car accidents, child abuse, spousal abuse, fist-fights and loud-mouthed stupidity. If that's not only legal, but a major piece of our economy, why should we not allow something far less harmful to also contribute to the economy instead of taking away from it by creating a black market? That is what does not make sense to me. Even if you're against the use, it's used anyways, so you might as well benefit instead of suffer. I suffer because Cocaine is illegal. Not because I would ever use it, but because I have to pay taxes to arrest and incarcerate thousands in addition to the violence, gangs and crime associated with prohibition.
some of this makes sense, but might be able to be worded better. the cocaine part i completely disagree with because it often makes people violent.

the reality of marijuanais that the side effects make you want to hang with your friend, think about worldly issues and come up with some funny conversation. it makes you want to eat a bit more. i don't know anyone who has ever said, i got into a fight because i was too high on marijuana.

the point is, there is noithing wrong with marijuana use as long as it is by responsible adults. i know a lot of people i went to school with that got a lot more done at home, be it washing dishes or other because yhey were more focused.

i say to people who are against it. try smoking a joint a come back and tell me if you still feel the same way about the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Humanoid
Nope, but the difference between smoking pot and eating is that eating is a necessity and smoking pot ain't.
Besidez, in The Netherlands having pot is not illegal but smoking (including pot) in public areas is forbidden.
i don't understand why you brought this up, but smoking anything causes second hand smoke and a particuler odor some people may not like. so they do not want to infringe on the rights of the people that don't smoke. it has nothing to do with the legalizing or not legalizing pot.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
I Think that are many reasons. I feel that legalizing the drug would encourage childre to use pot and I thought we were all campaigning for drug free youth? I do not think to highly of pot or any other drug.
If I remember correctly at one point in our history Cocaine was used in cough elixirs and even put into our pop. Opium was not illegal either, it wasn't until addiction and adverse effects of abuse began popping everywhere that they became illegal and under the 'Tax law" I believe that was the first ways that it became illegal and thats when the DEA was established.
Right now the laws are so vague on medical marijuana use that bascially anyone who finds the right MD can get a card. The laws vary as to how many plants a medical user can have if there is not a dispensary in their immediate area, now the laws are changing to include more pot if the medical user has a caregiver? Bah!
This is abused and will continue to be abused until we can regulate this further with a clear plan.
My reasons? Abuse
I have a neighbor who stated to me when they moved in that he grows MJ because he is a medical user, to this day he has different stories as to why he needs it. I went over to the home to give them some mail that had been wrongfully given to us and he seemed proud and stated, "Come and look" in the backyard he had a shack he built filled with over 20 immature plants" blacklights to encourage growth and so forth. I said nothing and left. I know for a fact that he has way too many.
I know October is when they harvest and he has friends at all hours of the day come over (traffic) is high around his home (and all these people look shady. I guess he pays them in weed to help him trim the plants and dry? ewwww. They use pot everynight and you can smell it in our neighborhood. Their 11 year old daughter bragged to my child and to other children "My step dad has a bunch of pot plants" "you guys want to come and see?" I told my son to stay away from that home. I have seen teenagers come and go from his house at odd times of the day when they should be in school, I observed one boy (16) years old getting high in the garage (The garage door was open). His GF gets high all the time and goes to work high (useto work with her at the same office) she had the characteristic red eyes and low lids and was calm and giggly, completely against the law especially being in the medical field. She drives high, she stated that work is so stressful that she goes home and gets high on her lunch break. She comes home and gets high first thing I have seen her and then gets in her car and drives with all 3 children in her car.
Because he gets high he has no use for the prescribed meds he gets from the Md, Percocet, hydracodone and oxycontin, these he useto sell to the neighbor who recently got kicked out of her home. This drug state we live in is dangerous and you ant to legalize it?

if this statement wasn't so long and i wasn't such a bad typer i would point out all the holes in this argument. although i'm not going to, trust me there are many.

Old 01-02-2009, 03:43 AM

10,398 posts, read 574,291 times
It is Easy to conclude... that Unless the Gov't is controlling the Growing & Distribution of Marijuana, then there will always be laws prohibiting its legalization. If the Government isn't there with their Hand open looking for a Buck, then there is nothing in it for them. They'll Tax Pot just like alcohol & cigarettes.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,551,008 times
In one of the previous posts, pot was referred to as more harmful than pain killing prescribed meds(though I don't agree with the trafficking to teens and going to work stoned).. pot is in no way as harmful as the percoset, oxycontins, etc. I have a MIL that is currently addicted to these meds and let me tell you, they are very debilitating, yet the doc's keep 'em coming.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:48 PM

423 posts, read 1,535,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
In one of the previous posts, pot was referred to as more harmful than pain killing prescribed meds(though I don't agree with the trafficking to teens and going to work stoned).. pot is in no way as harmful as the percoset, oxycontins, etc. I have a MIL that is currently addicted to these meds and let me tell you, they are very debilitating, yet the doc's keep 'em coming.
Pain killers are very much the most deadly of the legal life destroyers

Deaths per year resulting from alcohol: 100,000
· Deaths per year resulting from tobacco: 430,000
· Deaths per year resulting from aspirin: 180- 1000
· Deaths per year resulting from legal drugs: 106,000
· Deaths that have ever occurred in direct result of Cannabis: 0
(that's right zero)

Old 01-02-2009, 03:15 PM

957 posts, read 1,113,532 times
How many people are killed due to drunk drivers a year .
So lets add pot users to that number

Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 PM

659 posts, read 1,089,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
How many people are killed due to drunk drivers a year .
So lets add pot users to that number
Sigh. For those who are new, or those that just don't understand. IT JUST DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. If it did work that way (and it doesn't btw) then you would have to act as if the people who smoke and drive high now just don't exist.

Poof.

There gone.

Where'd they go?

Idk, maybe they did a star trek style move and transported to a different galaxy in seconds.

But, sense the do exist, the fact remains that people smoke, people drive while high, and reefer is still illegal. And going by your logic, if someone is a good law abiding citizen and won't disobey the law, then wouldn't they smoke and NOT drive? Since its illegal to do that. Not everyone who smokes thinks that they have to get in a car after. Most just, idk sleep, eat, and laugh after smoking a dirty; but hey, there's a statistic for every cause and you could be right; I'd just like to see the statistic though.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Sigh. For those who are new, or those that just don't understand. IT JUST DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY. If it did work that way (and it doesn't btw) then you would have to act as if the people who smoke and drive high now just don't exist.

Poof.

There gone.

Where'd they go?

Idk, maybe they did a star trek style move and transported to a different galaxy in seconds.

But, sense the do exist, the fact remains that people smoke, people drive while high, and reefer is still illegal. And going by your logic, if someone is a good law abiding citizen and won't disobey the law, then wouldn't they smoke and NOT drive? Since its illegal to do that. Not everyone who smokes thinks that they have to get in a car after. Most just, idk sleep, eat, and laugh after smoking a dirty; but hey, there's a statistic for every cause and you could be right; I'd just like to see the statistic though.
i agree with these statements. in addition, nowhere do i see anyone supporting stoned driving.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 PM

7,083 posts, read 12,094,169 times
Personally I don't think pot is much worse then alcohol, time is better spent with harder drugs. On the other hand I've seen first hand how much brain damage happens when people abuse it, funny to watch but kind of sad at the same time. If legal...just like cigarettes have warnings against cancer, alcohol has it against hepatic damage...pot should have "Abused this can damage lungs and make you a %$#$% idiot".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates