Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 07:57 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,748,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
This is just a correlation. There has been a general raise in mental illness over the years as new forms of mental issues are invented to sell pharmaceuticals...err....I mean discovered. This is just a correlation as mental illness among all groups has gone up.

Regardless, I really don't care if marijuana makes you stupid or may cause mental illness in some people. If someone wants to slowly kill themselves by smoking marijuana they should be able to, just as the obese should be allowed to eat themselves to death.

Also, if you legalize marijuana its in no sense clear you'll get more hardcore users. Additionally, how many people will move from alcohol to marijuana. These two substances are about equal in their negative side effects so if increases in marijuana use are meet with a decline in alcohol use then the over all effect on society would be neutral. Put another way, if you ban marijuana and enforce it heavily people will just move to alcohol.

Anyhow, there is a lot of money in illegal drugs. I can't help but think a lot of the opposition is funded by drug cartels.

The government is already spending money on these things, the legalization of marijuana will not increase these costs. People that abuse pot will abuse it whether its illegal or not, if they can't get it one night they will just drink. You will never successfully ban marijuana, its too easy to grow with a pot and a lamp.
i would definitely say alcohol is way worse that marijuana ..iv'e seen alcohol ruin alot of lives and most people that i know are choosing weed over it and lead produtive lives. their is no comparison it's like godzilla against a frog.. they are shurely not equal!!! darn cigarettes are worse than weed most people that i know might smoke one spliff a day. but cigarettes 2 packs 3 packs chit i smoke 2 packs a day that's 40 cigarettes!! and obestity is worse than weed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 PM

74 posts, read 129,404 times
To me, pot is just something to hide your feelings. You smoke it and forget about all of your worries for a short time. They say it is not addicting but it is, my dad probably couldnt live a day without it and same goes for my sister. It is such a high school drug and thing to do. Grow up a little! Why should you need to smoke or take some substance just to have a good time or to relax?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,221,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
Considering that there are other ways to ingest pot than smoking, that's not really a point against the drug.
Considering that most people smoke it anyway (vs other methods), I'd say it very much is.

And I suspect most people pimping the legalization of it are people who simply kids who want to get high w/o the danger of being busted for doing so, so cmon, at least be honest and spare us pretending otherwise.

PS and oh btw I did my share growing up, this is not a "puritan" talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i would definitely say alcohol is way worse that marijuana ..iv'e seen alcohol ruin alot of lives and most people that i know are choosing weed over it and lead produtive lives. their is no comparison it's like godzilla against a frog.. they are shurely not equal!!! darn cigarettes are worse than weed most people that i know might smoke one spliff a day. but cigarettes 2 packs 3 packs chit i smoke 2 packs a day that's 40 cigarettes!! and obestity is worse than weed..
Ironically, this is a great post to use as a testament against legalization. You go towlie.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:47 PM

1,009 posts, read 877,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMegan View Post
To me, pot is just something to hide your feelings. You smoke it and forget about all of your worries for a short time. They say it is not addicting but it is, my dad probably couldnt live a day without it and same goes for my sister. It is such a high school drug and thing to do. Grow up a little! Why should you need to smoke or take some substance just to have a good time or to relax?

Drugs are a crutch for weak people, they always have been and always will be. People who don't know how to live life and pursue goodness, decide that they will better their life by using drugs to make themselves feel happy/pleasant/better/content, etc, but it doesn't change the reality of their life.

I personally have no use for people who want to dope their lives away. These people need to pull their head out of the sand and stop running from whatever it is they're trying to get away from. They need to face their problems and stop looking to drugs as a crutch to help them through life.

The sort of people who use drugs as a crutch are the same sort who often add in sex, and then later "reform" and begin using evangelical Christianity as a crutch. I have a female relative and her trinity has always been sex, drugs, and evangelical Christianity (she hops from one denomination to the other with a great degree of regularity), although it's all just a song and dance routine for her, she's very self-destructive, self-centered, ignorant, naive, arrogant, etc, but she thinks shouting 'holy holy holy' makes her holy.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,221,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Drugs are a crutch for weak people, they always have been and always will be. People who don't know how to live life and pursue goodness, decide that they will better their life by using drugs to make themselves feel happy/pleasant/better/content, etc, but it doesn't change the reality of their life.

I personally have no use for people who want to dope their lives away. These people need to pull their head out of the sand and stop running from whatever it is they're trying to get away from. They need to face their problems and stop looking to drugs as a crutch to help them through life.

The sort of people who use drugs as a crutch are the same sort who often add in sex, and then later "reform" and begin using evangelical Christianity as a crutch. I have a female relative and her trinity has always been sex, drugs, and evangelical Christianity (she hops from one denomination to the other with a great degree of regularity), although it's all just a song and dance routine for her, she's very self-destructive, self-centered, ignorant, naive, arrogant, etc, but she thinks shouting 'holy holy holy' makes her holy.
Well by golly if your relative does this, it must be true for everyone.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Well by golly if your relative does this, it must be true for everyone.

If you'd like to make a case for why/how drug use enhances quality of life (short of somebody being in constant pain due to a medical condition) then please, enlighten me, explain why we should squander the limited time we have in life, baked out our minds, strung out on dope, and barely able to move due to the smack surging through our veins.

Please, explain it to me...

Plain and simple, drugs are a crutch, nothing more.

I could rattle off dozens of names of people I know who wasted years on drugs. I cannot think of anybody who used to do drugs, who now says, "drugs were wonderful I wish I was still using them!" nor can I think of anybody who says, "drugs made me the great man I am today!"

Drugs are a crutch, scratch that, they're an impediment, an impediment to personal development and progress.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 PM

659 posts, read 1,086,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMegan View Post
So what do you use to have a good time or relax? Alcohol? T.V.? Food? I say to you (and other's who use this asinine argument) to grow up a little. Everyone has an outlet that they use to relieve stress. Some ways are simply better than others. Some relieve stress by punching holes in the walls and some relieve it by smoking a joint from time to time; it's not your place to judge what a person does to relieve stress based on a preconceived notion that you have not taking the time to check out and see if it's true. Some of the most successful people in the world have smoked pot and done drugs; take the makers of the DNA model for example. They thought of it while high on LSD. Would you consider them failures or to have a low lot in life also?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Considering that most people smoke it anyway (vs other methods), I'd say it very much is.

And I suspect most people pimping the legalization of it are people who simply kids who want to get high w/o the danger of being busted for doing so, so cmon, at least be honest and spare us pretending otherwise.
Dude, get over yourself. Yea some want it legalized just so they can smoke without no worries, but the rest of us think of the civil liberties side of it. Why should I get in trouble for anything I put into or do to my body? It is MY body, not yours, and I can put whatever I like into it because it's MINE. You can't try to legislate morality and propaganda just because it's what you 'should' do. I'll be the one to decide what is best for me. I don't need - or want - for you, the government, or any other individual, group, or entity to tell me how I should live my life and to tell me what I should put into it. That's my gripe with it. I could give a damn if weed was legal tomorrow or not; If I wanted to, I'd still smoke, regardless of the legality. What gets my goat is other people trying to play mother and tell me what to do when I'm within my full capabilities to decide for myself.

Quote:
The same can be said of anything. T.V., food, caffiene, coffee, church...get what I'm saying? I can say anything is a crutch for weak people and that they use it because they don't know how to pursue goodness and blah, and blah, and blah. FYI, living life is the longest thing you can do; if you don't know how to live it, then obviously your dead! Sheesh! Just because people don't live according to how you see fit doesn't mean that they are not happy and don't know how to get the most fulfillment out of life; get over yourself. Really.

Quote:
I personally have no use for people who want to dope their lives away.
And I'm sure they have no personal use for you either. Your preconceived notions and naviety of the life and successfulness of people who smoke weed is simply astounding.

Quote:
These people need to pull their head out of the sand and stop running from whatever it is they're trying to get away from. They need to face their problems and stop looking to drugs as a crutch to help them through life.
Not everyone who smokes is running away from something; some just like the feeling of being high (just like some like the feeling that food gives them). Again naivety naivety.

Quote:
Another set of preconceived notions. Boy, do you ever get away from your computer and try to meet some these people you deem dopeheads? I'm not talking about the lazy bums that blame their problems on their smoking, but the ones that are proactive about their life, families, and jobs. Maybe you should try it. Social interaction is good for your neurons and brain chemistry; try it sometime.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
So what do you use to have a good time or relax? Alcohol? T.V.? Food? I say to you (and other's who use this asinine argument) to grow up a little. Everyone has an outlet that they use to relieve stress. Some ways are simply better than others. Some relieve stress by punching holes in the walls and some relieve it by smoking a joint from time to time; it's not your place to judge what a person does to relieve stress based on a preconceived notion that you have not taking the time to check out and see if it's true. Some of the most successful people in the world have smoked pot and done drugs; take the makers of the DNA model for example. They thought of it while high on LSD. Would you consider them failures or to have a low lot in life also?

I spend my time with my friends, reading scripture, and writing fiction.

I don't waste my life in front of the TV (some years have gone by where I've watched less than 90 minutes of TV per week and I really don't feel any worse for it).

I don't waste my life on booze either, as I'm not some boozed up drunk.

I don't stuff my face with food, I'm in very fine shape.

If they thought about DNA while buzzed up on LSD, imagine what they could do if they weren't buzzing on drugs, eh? Do you honestly believe that drugs enhance life and make people more capable of achieving their goals?

As for stress, deal with it as it comes and you won't find yourself in a situation where it has bottled up. Take things as they come and deal with them for what they are, don't push them aside and let a few small problems pile up into a mountain.

I don't need crutches to get through life, do what you think will have the best real results long-term, not what looks pretty or attractive at the moment but might have a mountain of long-term consequences. If being happy was as simple as injecting yourself with chemical substances then we'd find that the happiest people in the world are those who continuously use heroin and other such substances. Happiness doesn't come in a liquid, a powder, or a pill, either you're happy or you're not, it's not about what you will yourself to be. A lot of people cannot find the good, they don't know how to recognize it, let alone pursue it and obtain it on a continuous basis. I suggest you read Plato, you'll see what I mean.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post

The same can be said of anything. T.V., food, caffiene, coffee, church...get what I'm saying? I can say anything is a crutch for weak people and that they use it because they don't know how to pursue goodness and blah, and blah, and blah. FYI, living life is the longest thing you can do; if you don't know how to live it, then obviously your dead! Sheesh! Just because people don't live according to how you see fit doesn't mean that they are not happy and don't know how to get the most fulfillment out of life; get over yourself. Really.

I barely watch TV, I don't stuff my face with food, I have no caffeine intake, I've had less than three dozen cups of coffee in my entire life, and I don't go to church.

Anything else?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:17 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,261,318 times
Too many people would be walking around like live wires or zombies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates