Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 03:06 PM

638 posts, read 1,597,046 times

Advertisements

It's my belief that it should be one's personal option to choose to die when their quality of life shows little hope of improving. Keeping someone alive just because the technology is there seems cruel and unfair. I think we should all be allowed to "choose our terms of death".

I think we're working towards it in some cases. Living wills help. And those on life support are many times left to the option of survivors as to when to pull the plugs.

I think there should be more support from the medical community to help aid those who prefer to die as peacefully as possible.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 03:20 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,108,165 times
I believe that all for Chinese teenagers....

Ooops sorry.

It a bit ironic that only people arrested for committing suicide are those who fail. So to answer the question, I think that rational reasoning persons should have a right to those who assist in ending their own lives.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:42 AM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
More support from the medical community, who's bread-and-butter depends on unnecessarily keeping people alive as long as possible?

There are 3 right-to-die states currently, and why aren't there more? And not in liberal California? What does that say!!!

I work in a Long-Term care facility, and you dare not bring up the subject of euthanasia!! Where I work, the staff gets frantic over headcount! Anytime it drops a few below the capacity of 98, worries abound! Where jobs are at stake, it's going to be a tough road getting euthanasia legalized!

Only bankruptcy of Medicaid and Medicare is going to accomplish that!

Last edited by tijlover; 08-28-2012 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 08-28-2012, 12:59 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,351,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post

It's my belief that it should be one's personal option to choose to die when their quality of life shows little hope of improving. Keeping someone alive just because the technology is there seems cruel and unfair.

Simple.

You can do that today.

Don't go to the hospital.

Stay home and die a natural death.

That's what people did before "technology."

Old 08-28-2012, 01:12 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,138,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Simple.

You can do that today.

Don't go to the hospital.

Stay home and die a natural death.

That's what people did before "technology."

Good point, if it's possible.

Old 08-28-2012, 01:17 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,138,324 times
Quote:
It's my belief that it should be one's personal option to choose to die when their quality of life shows little hope of improving. Keeping someone alive just because the technology is there seems cruel and unfair. I think we should all be allowed to "choose our terms of death".

I think we're working towards it in some cases. Living wills help. And those on life support are many times left to the option of survivors as to when to pull the plugs.

I think there should be more support from the medical community to help aid those who prefer to die as peacefully as possible.

Your thoughts?

I so agree with you.

People get easily confused.

And the confused people think that life is sacred and one should be kept alive no matter what, no matter if it's really much harder for them, much worse and they don't want to do it. I think that people feel guilty for ending someone's life because of this programming.

It's not a logical programming, but an emotional one. But logically, what is really best for the person, THAT should be considered when making a decision.

Some people have cancer and they are told: you are in the last stage, but if you go through treatments, we can prolong your life by probably about six months. Prolong torture you mean? I can't even fathom someone choosing treatments in this case. But I think some people actually consider it...

Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM

990 posts, read 940,990 times
Quote:

Your thoughts?
I think anyone who wants to die should be allowed to do so in whichever way they desire.

Personally, I think Suicide Booths should exist, why force people who don't enjoy life to suffer through it?
http://www.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3...T9uYqO3w6Qgllg

Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayLight1555 View Post
I so agree with you. ... people think that life is sacred and one should be kept alive no matter what, no matter if it's really much harder for them, much worse and they don't want to do it. I think that people feel guilty for ending someone's life because of this programming.

It's not a logical programming, but an emotional one. But logically, what is really best for the person, THAT should be considered when making a decision.

Some people have cancer and they are told: you are in the last stage, but if you go through treatments, we can prolong your life by probably about six months. Prolong torture you mean? I can't even fathom someone choosing treatments in this case. But I think some people actually consider it...
I agree. The problem lies with a combination of what you said and what another poster mentioned about the pressure from medical people to keep their profits coming in order to keep themselves employed. Hospitals want their share of this profit also. And relatives don't want the "guilt" of not giving the best care on their shoulders.

Guilt and profit too often "influences" the decision to keep people alive.. no matter the physical cost to the poor patient who is physically suffering from these decisions made by others for him.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
Simple. You can do that today. Don't go to the hospital. Stay home and die a natural death. That's what people did before "technology."
Natural deaths without pain and suffering are very few and far between... esp with cancer, kidney failure, liver damage, etc. The best you can hope for is going into a coma and dying. My father had liver cancer and ended up taking his own life with a gun at home when they could no longer drain the fluid and he couldn't breath. Had he been under good medical care, he should have been sedated heavily in his dying moments.

Most people suffer great pain before dying. One thing technology and current medication CAN do for the most part, is sedate and relieve the pain. Anesthesiologists can "put someone under" much like they do prior to surgery.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:23 PM

229 posts, read 424,616 times
All I know is that I get VERY upset when I hear stories about feeding tubes being disconnected and having a person literally starve to death instead of just maybe a nice shot of lethal drugs. I just can't understand watching a family member suffer like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates