Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 07:38 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times

Advertisements

Seriously, when speaking strictly economics, what is so bad about it? Does it bring in too much money?

When regulated and done right, prostituition can bring in millions - if not billions - annually.

I would seriously like to read the cons of legalizing prostituition; and I don't mean arguements of morality about the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:06 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I'm all for it.

Tax it.

Regulate it with regular health checks for the men and women selling their services. (It doesn't have to be just women does it?)

Keep the drugs, organized crime, and violence out of it.

I see many benefits to legalization. I see few benefits to the status quo.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I'm all for it.

Tax it.

Regulate it with regular health checks for the men and women selling their services. (It doesn't have to be just women does it?)

Keep the drugs, organized crime, and violence out of it.

I see many benefits to legalization. I see few benefits to the status quo.
One thing we can agree on Annerk.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Because all our politican would then spend all their times with them.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:27 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Because all our politican would then spend all their times with them.
Don't they do so now?

Anyway, good point, Anerk, about taxes. I had wondered what economic benefit there would be, regardless of other arguments one might make. Good point about taxes.

Old 11-30-2008, 10:42 PM

253 posts, read 1,055,835 times
Not my bag but I am for regulating/taxing, zoning and licensing. It can and should be done.

The black market, abusive pimps and dirty cops enjoy the -many- benefits of keeping it illegal...

Old 11-30-2008, 10:51 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Any money made from a sinful endeavor will end up costing in the long run. Sin always costs instead of paying. Cigarettes increases medical insurance. Alcoholic beverages makes car insurance higher. So the person doing the sin may not pay, but in the long run; someone will.

Old 11-30-2008, 11:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
The problem with the op is that economics doesn't give a damn about human misery.
Trying to solve a problem by only approaching it from an economic point of view could very well lead to fascism.
I mean from an economic point of view Nazism really makes perfect sense.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:44 AM

253 posts, read 1,055,835 times
Default Legislating "Sin"...

Church and state should be separate.

If money is passed between casual sex, then so be it...regardless of what one thinks. There's no good in merging church and state in a country that claims to support freedom of religion and various beliefs...as well as diversity.

I believe an individual should have the right to do this with their body if they want especially if their BELIEF system is not in line with those who are religious or share similar views that say that selling one's body is wrong.

The law has no place in this unless taxes aren't being paid as that leads to unregulated profit. If a person wants to conduct business in this fashion and there are consenting adults involved...then I feel the law has better things to do with its time than sending cops out on the street to try to catch johns and bust sex workers.

Again consider what illegality creates...pimp paradise, cops who will blackmail prostitutes for sexual favors and all of the other elements existent in a black market of this kind where the prostitutes have no rights and johns aren't required to leave any trace or record of their contact with sex workers within a licensed regulation process. It's all unregulated and anything can happen and does. That just does not sit right with me. At ALL. There's too much room for corruption and some underbelly wild wild west.

So again regulate it...zone it (restrict it to certain areas)...and license it.

Old 12-01-2008, 05:09 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I agree that zoning needs to be a part of it. Brothels don't belong next to schools, playgrounds, and places of worship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates