Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 06:17 PM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Strictly economically, yeah, makes sense to me.

But otherwise and in general, it's one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever heard.

Hmm, how so?

Elaborate if you so please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb09 View Post
Hmm, how so?

Elaborate if you so please.
Sorry, not taking the bait. To paraphrase a great musician: if you gotta ask, there's no point in me trying to explain.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:31 AM

857 posts, read 1,422,918 times
Quote:
Sorry, not taking the bait. To paraphrase a great musician: if you gotta ask, there's no point in me trying to explain.
yes but asking about music is different from asking about an opinion someone stated. that quote works for music, for forums stick to this: "if you can't explain, there's no point in making a post"

so please either explain why you think its a dumb idea to legalize prostitution or stop posting on this thread.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:52 AM

659 posts, read 1,085,513 times
Quote:
Then why are you even posting on a topic *in the Great Debates* section if you are not willing to elaborate?

If you don't want to elaborate (because trust me, you will be questioned on it) don't post at all.

Its as easy as pie; really now

Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulnevrwalkalone View Post
but u neglect to mention this only occurs after the person has been out of work for over a year. if u r out of work for over a year and have been getting unemployment benefits for that long than I have no problem with gov forcing people to take a job or lose the benefits. there is no reason a person cannot find a job of some kind in a year. and she isnt being forced into it, shes being forced to get off her ass and find a job or lose benefits. if this was after a month it would be redic but a year is more than ample amount of time to find work. if anything I see this as getting some of the mooches off the gov tit.

prostitution is the world's oldest profession, as long as their has been money their has been prostitution. so lets get over our moral qualms and face it, u can make it illegal, but its not going to stop it. y not let those willing to do it be able to in a safe and open work environment where they will be able to get health care and pay taxes??
Can't wait to hear the uproar when men are told they need to take work as a prostitute or lose benefits.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:32 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,397,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Can't wait to hear the uproar when men are told they need to take work as a prostitute or lose benefits.
LOL!!!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 09:20 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,127,192 times
I love the idea and for the sake of economics. Go for it. However, I believe it goes a tad further in not understanding that economics is fulfilled but our desire for ethical behaviour is starving.

In the late 60's I was in B Company, 1st Special Forces Group stationed in Okinawa. We were deployed to Taiwan and as we were performing manuvers adapting Airborne and aquatic excercises we noticed that the Taiwanese troops had a special place for just the troops to have "fun".

No cost and we tried to get in but were abruptly moved away and we all laughed at what we thought would be a great opportunity for some worn out but young guys to sneak in... It was like a supermarket for sex...We noticed alot of women and men always moving around and the place was guarded by armed Taiwanese soldiers... As an 18 year old guy I thought it would be great if we could have gone inside.

I am now not so crazy about the idea but I applaud you for thinking outside the perverbial box....

Old 02-27-2009, 09:40 PM

72 posts, read 221,024 times
Hey Cali needs the tax dollars, lets legalize hookers and weed. It will solve all our problems....lol

Old 02-27-2009, 11:33 PM

422 posts, read 649,508 times
Strictly economics? Lets just set up a pink and blue curtain district here in the US and we will immediately see MILLIONS in revenue, I mean enough to get out of the economic slump. Why more than economics? Because everything is not only about money.

Moreover, once it is legalized the scum running women will move on to other crimes and we will have other problems causing as much if not more troubles. Many ex drug dealers became pimps because the laws were more lax and as one put it. "I have to get drugs and can only sell it once, women are already there and can be sold over and over" You will still have the street corner girls LIKE you do in Nevada because they don't WANT to be taxed and regulated. They are in love with a lifestyle that includes the illegality of it. It will not solve the problem. Many things are legal AND wrong.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 PM

422 posts, read 649,508 times
In case some don't know( Sometimes I wish I didn't)

Bid to curb paedophile sex tourists | Society | The Observer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates