Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 01:17 PM

1,009 posts, read 877,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Here's a list of many famous people who used drugs at some point in their lives, including the lead singer of UB40 who credits marijuana for ending his alcohol addiction. In this list, Bill Gates, Sigmund Freud, Salvidor Dali, President Grant, Ernest Hemmingway, Aldous Huxley, Thomas Jefferson, and many others all have been linked to drug usage, some of them, like Huxley, credit much of their success to the use of psychoactive drugs.

Plus, many of those against prohibition are not ones you would assume to be drug users, like you would with some musicians or the people posting on CD.

Those people were all very intelligent, creative, and talented to begin with. Are you suggesting that drugs will help the dull and untalented, suddenly become masters of engineering, diplomacy, politics, art, literature, and such?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:25 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,148,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
I spend my time with my friends, reading scripture, and writing fiction.

I don't waste my life in front of the TV (some years have gone by where I've watched less than 90 minutes of TV per week and I really don't feel any worse for it).

I don't waste my life on booze either, as I'm not some boozed up drunk.

I don't need crutches to get through life
Wouldn't that scripture be your crutch bro? To me, you're wasting your life reading and writing fiction and not living. If you aren't gonna change, at least develop a live and let live mentality... you're going to need it.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:37 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,055,126 times
Quote:
Those people were all very intelligent, creative, and talented to begin with. Are you suggesting that drugs will help the dull and untalented, suddenly become masters of engineering, diplomacy, politics, art, literature, and such?
What he is saying that marijuana doesn't hurt them.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Wouldn't that scripture be your crutch bro? To me, you're wasting your life reading and writing fiction and not living. If you aren't gonna change, at least develop a live and let live mentality... you're going to need it.

Obviously you haven't read any of my posts aside from that one you quoted.

If you had, you'd notice I said I am not opposed to drug legalization, but when somebody gets behind the wheel, baked out of their mind, or when they trip on acid, freak out, and somebody winds up dead because of it, they should be put to death for having caused the death of a person who had no say in their drug use.

You can use all the drugs you want, but you better make darn sure somebody else doesn't wind up having to pay for your decisions.

Unless your decisions impact somebody else, resulting in harm to them, then you ought to be free to make whatever decisions you want.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:56 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,354,347 times
Quote:
Obviously you haven't read any of my posts aside from that one you quoted.

If you had, you'd notice I said I am not opposed to drug legalization, but when somebody gets behind the wheel, baked out of their mind, or when they trip on acid, freak out, and somebody winds up dead because of it, they should be put to death for having caused the death of a person who had no say in their drug use.

You can use all the drugs you want, but you better make darn sure somebody else doesn't wind up having to pay for your decisions.

Unless your decisions impact somebody else, resulting in harm to them, then you ought to be free to make whatever decisions you want.
Except that someone is far less likely to kill someone with the car while high than while using a cell-phone or yelling at their kids in the back seat. Yeah, if anyone causes the death of another, it should be a crime. But to make it a crime to smoke because "there's a chance they might accidentally run someone over" is a really flimsy argument. After all, I could say that Bell Peppers should be illegal because I could accidentally put one in my mother's dinner and cause her to go into anaphylactic shock and die. But for the billions of people it wont kill, it would be unfair.

How is it any different with pot? After all, we allow caffiene, sugar, grease, tobacco and alcohol, which all have higher death rates than pot. Sorry, but there's nothing you can say about this that wont make you either a hypocrite, or a controlling person...either you think everything should be legal except for the least harmful, or you think that the government should have more say in our consumption than we do. Sorry, but that's not the America that Jefferson, Franklin and Hancock had in mind.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:37 PM

423 posts, read 1,533,866 times
Until the fed's get there heads out of there a** you guys and gals can debate all year long while I enjoy a nice fat Kali Mist blunt.
Not going to stop me

Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Except that someone is far less likely to kill someone with the car while high than while using a cell-phone or yelling at their kids in the back seat. Yeah, if anyone causes the death of another, it should be a crime. But to make it a crime to smoke because "there's a chance they might accidentally run someone over" is a really flimsy argument. After all, I could say that Bell Peppers should be illegal because I could accidentally put one in my mother's dinner and cause her to go into anaphylactic shock and die. But for the billions of people it wont kill, it would be unfair.

How is it any different with pot? After all, we allow caffiene, sugar, grease, tobacco and alcohol, which all have higher death rates than pot. Sorry, but there's nothing you can say about this that wont make you either a hypocrite, or a controlling person...either you think everything should be legal except for the least harmful, or you think that the government should have more say in our consumption than we do. Sorry, but that's not the America that Jefferson, Franklin and Hancock had in mind.

I'm pretty much done debating with you since you're just grabbing at straws by claiming I said things I didn't say. I said that smoking marijuana should not be a crime, but if you get behind the wheel of a vehicle and somebody dies as a result of your being baked out of your mind, there should be major consequences. Based on what I said, where did you get the idea that I said smoking marijuana should be illegal?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,313,722 times
The major reason pot should not be legalized is simple. It alters the rational thinkinb process in a way that is faster, more potent, and much different than alcohol. It's addicitive and the after effect is much longer lasting than alcohol.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:03 AM

423 posts, read 1,533,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The major reason pot should not be legalized is simple. It alters the rational thinkinb process in a way that is faster, more potent, and much different than alcohol. It's addicitive and the after effect is much longer lasting than alcohol.

Yet another classic example of ignorance of the killer called alcohol
No one ever did from pot, but alcohol, try everyday

Quote:
rational thinkinb process
Whats that?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:30 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,354,347 times
Quote:
I'm pretty much done debating with you since you're just grabbing at straws by claiming I said things I didn't say. I said that smoking marijuana should not be a crime, but if you get behind the wheel of a vehicle and somebody dies as a result of your being baked out of your mind, there should be major consequences. Based on what I said, where did you get the idea that I said smoking marijuana should be illegal?
Maybe from your continuing arguments against it in this thread. You've been the counterpoint to all those who support legalization this whole time. If you don't think that, you really need to go back and read. You've been saying all kinds of things against legalization and nothing for it. Really? Are you really denying it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates