Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,664 times

Advertisements

I have been smoking pot for almost 18 years, its not a gateway drug, hell I dont even think its addictive, I sometimes stop for a couple of months just because i'm sick of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:55 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,958,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post
I have been smoking pot for almost 18 years, its not a gateway drug, hell I dont even think its addictive, I sometimes stop for a couple of months just because i'm sick of it
Oh, well... shoot. What are we even debating this for?!?! Mike Litoris has spoken!! Not sure of it's from his extsensive research on the subject, or his doctoral thesis.

There's a lot of people who drink alcohol who don't get addicted either. But, then there are. There are people who chose not to drink and drive. But, then there are. There are people who drink responsibly and do not binge drink. But then there are. Saying 'YOU' don't abuse it is as naive as saying no one does. And we know they do.

I don't think there's an argument that pot is more addictive (or even as addictive) as nicotine or alcohol. The argument is that we will increase the number of users (just look at prohibition and the vastly increased numbers of those that started using alcohol again after is was re-made legal). That means an increase in the percentage (however low) of abusers and those that will behave under the effects. THAT is the danger in legalization. Innocent lives. And any right to live is more important than another's right to impair themselves - (medicinal purposes notwithstanding).

Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM

613 posts, read 1,271,925 times
[quote=Rathagos;6664646]Oh, well... shoot. What are we even debating this for?!?! Mike Litoris has spoken!! Not sure of it's from his extsensive research on the subject, or his doctoral thesis.
lol mike litoris has spoken
There's a lot of people who drink alcohol who don't get addicted either. But, then there are. There are people who chose not to drink and drive. But, then there are. There are people who drink responsibly and do not binge drink. But then there are. Saying 'YOU' don't abuse it is as naive as saying no one does. And we know they do.
Yes there are people with addictive personalities and people without. Whether it be drugs, gambling, lust, or even things less outwardly detrimental the people with those personalities will become consumed by their addictions. My argument is that we shouldn't focus on the results of addictive personalities but on them themselves. The fact is there are lazy do nothing pot heads, but there are also very productive good people who smoke pot. Of course there are good productive non-smoking people, but also nonsmoking lazy do nothing losers. As for smoking and driving there are actually people who can drive perfectly and those that can't. The difference between that and alcohal is pot doesn't impair judgement in the way alcohal does. I've yet to see a high person that couldn't attempt to. Not to say it doesn't happen, but most people that are high get really scared if they feel like they aren't in control therefor detering them from driving if they can't.
I don't think there's an argument that pot is more addictive (or even as addictive) as nicotine or alcohol. The argument is that we will increase the number of users (just look at prohibition and the vastly increased numbers of those that started using alcohol again after is was re-made legal). That means an increase in the percentage (however low) of abusers and those that will behave under the effects. THAT is the danger in legalization. Innocent lives. And any right to live is more important than another's right to impair themselves - (medicinal purposes notwithstanding).
Are you sure about people going back to using after the prohibition? I was under the impression that it initially lowered use but once the mob got involved use actually increased from before it was illegal. But regardless it is logical to assume more people would openly admit to using, but I would argue that the law is not what stops people from starting. It is a fear of what it will do to them. If someone tries drugs but then stops because it seems like it's not worth getting caught already proved that that someone wasn't affected by it's addictive qualities.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:57 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,332,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Considering that alcohol was once legal, then prohibited, then legalized again; your statement that more people used alcohol after it was re-legalized brings an interesting point. That is that the prohibition was the only thing that changed so if more people used alcohol afterward the only cause would have been the prohibition itself.

And although this has been mentioned already, have you taken into consideration how many lives have been lost by this substance being prohibited?

Old 12-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
And although this has been mentioned already, have you taken into consideration how many lives have been lost by this substance being prohibited?
From the statistics I saw (I don't have links, sorry), most people that were found to have THC (from marijuana) in their system also had alcohol. So, one could not definitively say that the fatal accidents were solely stemmed from one drug (alcohol) or the other (marijuana) (or a combination of the two?).

Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
Are you sure about people going back to using after the prohibition? I was under the impression that it initially lowered use but once the mob got involved use actually increased from before it was illegal. But regardless it is logical to assume more people would openly admit to using, but I would argue that the law is not what stops people from starting. It is a fear of what it will do to them. If someone tries drugs but then stops because it seems like it's not worth getting caught already proved that that someone wasn't affected by it's addictive qualities.
The law that makes it illegal, does (in fact) stop people from using it. As a contractor on a military base, I know for a fact there are people I work with who admit having used it in their youth. They claim, as well, that if it was legalized, that they would start using it again. Of course, that's just a small sampling.

Since many jobs test randomly for drugs (including the THC in marijuana), it's not worth them losing their security clearances and military or civilian careers over. So they abstain. But, they make it clear they would start again should it ever become legalized.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:17 PM

613 posts, read 1,271,925 times
Quote:
The law that makes it illegal, does (in fact) stop people from using it. As a contractor on a military base, I know for a fact there are people I work with who admit having used it in their youth. They claim, as well, that if it was legalized, that they would start using it again. Of course, that's just a small sampling.

Since many jobs test randomly for drugs (including the THC in marijuana), it's not worth them losing their security clearances and military or civilian careers over. So they abstain. But, they make it clear they would start again should it ever become legalized.
As I stated these people show rational thought unexibited by drug abusers. Sure, if the law forced mandatory drug tests on everyone with strict punishments and no one could escape them use would dramatically decrease. Though that would seem unwarrented for just marijuana. Why not apply such intrusive tactics towards all aspects of indecent and unhealthy behavior creating a world in which no unsightly action could escape the ever watchful and vigilent eye of law. People would be forced to act accordingly not by their own good will and honor but fear of the eye.

Of course I would argue that not all of those workers actually abstain. There are many methods of beating these tests. Substances are availible that when taken it flushes out all traces of thc within a day or two. All they have to do is time it right. They are voicing their opinion that infact it doesn't cause them harm, and the only problem they find with it is the penalty of law assosiated with it. Of course they won't openly admit current usage, but they do.

Last edited by allah truth; 12-23-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 06:10 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,332,551 times
Quote:
From the statistics I saw (I don't have links, sorry), most people that were found to have THC (from marijuana) in their system also had alcohol. So, one could not definitively say that the fatal accidents were solely stemmed from one drug (alcohol) or the other (marijuana) (or a combination of the two?).
Yeah, I understand that there are people that die from auto accidents.

I was talking more about the people that die from other reasons like outdoor growers protecting their crop or gang wars.

The black market nature of marijuana brings a great deal of black market side effects along with it.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:01 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,010,795 times
You've been smoking it for 18 years. So in other words it is addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Litoris View Post

Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,228,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Pot, like other forms of medicine should not be taken for fun.
And pot (like alcohol) does make people slow in the head, especially when you started young.

it sounds like you just explained what it is like to be liberal or being drunk as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates