Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 01:00 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavetoSay View Post
Oh, yeah, all big success stories...hahahahahaha!!!!
...right because being elected president means you are a failure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 01:05 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Avoid answering the question all you want. You just epitomize my point in the fact that legalizing the drug does nothing but let igorant people impair their own judgment (which is obvious by most of the arguments for legalization here), and put innocent people at risk for their immature desires for a "high."

Period!
Yes, all marijuana legalization supporters are ignorant. Even the ones that are in good colleges. All ignorant. And since you said they're ignorant they jusy must be!

"lordy what will all us po ign't hepless pot heads do with o'sevs? We's juss runnen neked in the streets, robb'n people and driv'n 250 miles per hour through da subdivisions and neighbohoods. We juss wanna smoke and rape little old ladies all day - HELP we's so helpless!!!"

Is that your idea of what pot heads are? Pot heads could never be people like Carl Sagan, the governator, Jesse Ventura or people that have accomplished more than any of us.

It has also been said that marijuana makes people think they are vampire bats and that it makes good white women sleep with black men.

The only thing I have epitomized is your stereotypical and misguided outlook on marijuana use and how you judge others via that same outlook.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:07 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
So here's a quick question to all of you with regards to legalizing drugs...

Why stop at marijuana? Why not legalize cocaine? Why not legalize meth? Why not legalize heroin? Why not legalize crack? Why have prescriptions for morphine, codeine, thebaine, and oxycotin? Just a bunch of people who want to have fun sitting around, right?

All we want is to get high, right? We just want to feel good, right? We can save millions, right? We can take it from the hands of crime syndicates and regulate it, right? Think about all the prison beds we open up for real criminals (cause breakin' the law doin' drugs isn't really bad... we just stretch the law.. cause it's easy to get, right???).

Or, do you think we should just placate pot smokers? Doesn't sound fair to other drug users, does it?

The line has to be drawn somewhere... that line was drawn a long time ago. Now you want to change it. So, why not make it all or nothing?
Agree, illegal drugs are easier to get than legal ones that are regulated. Make lethal and physically addicting substances available only with an Rx, and the ones that are less dangerous, like Marijuana, available at any store like Alcohol and Cigarettes.

If you research the history of that line being drawn, it was done so illegally and with more lies than the Iraq War. Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by Beretta; 11-25-2008 at 07:11 PM.. Reason: personal attack not permitted

Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,350,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Because pot is a gateway drug. Show me a heroin addict, a meth addict or any other addict (with the possible exception of alcohol) and I'll show you someone who smoked pot.
Show me a pothead and I'll show you someone who would NEVER touch Heroin, Meth or Cocaine. People who use those drugs would do so anyways. The gateway theory was disproven long ago and even the DEA doesn't use this connection anymore.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:13 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I have trouble eating and tend to lose a lot of weight when not smoking. I am 6' tall and was down to 138 pounds the summer before I started to smoke regularly. Now I am a very healthy 165 and everyone tells me how good I look that I've filled out. I've never been in an accident since I started to smoke 6 years ago (and 120,000 miles ago), but was in three (in just 45,000 miles) before that. I've never been in a serious fight since I started to smoke, but I was in many of them before I started. I'm highly educated, highly accomplished, highly motivated, volunteer as an award-winning coach in my spare time, and I am in better shape than 98% of Americans and I smoke every day.

How do you explain me?
Obviously, they don't want to explain you. Much easier to ridicule and dismiss you. After all, how could the anti-drug TV commercials they've been watching for decades be wrong? Just. Say. No.

Quote:
How come I'm not a degenerate criminal, shooting people for a $5 hit of weed, sitting at home eating cheetos and not working while I slowly die?
I think the point is - people with an anti-drug stance don't want to even consider that any part of their anti-drug reasoning is wrong. I think that the urge to justify one's own opinions probably has people denying that you are even telling the truth. If they can accept that you are - they still write you off as a selfish drug abuser who cares nothing for society.
Those profitting from the war on drugs are grinning widely right now. They see that the general populace has successfully been taught to never question the premeditated demonization of marijuana.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavetoSay View Post
Yeah, getting lung cancer is not a "dangerous situation" either, is it?? Getting behind the wheel stoned out of your mind and being a danger to others is not a "dangerous situation"?? I guess you're willing to foot the bill in your taxes to pay for their lung cancer hospitalization and/or his/her injuries and those he injured, right?
we must protect the world from themselves!

What do you think has a bigger tax effect:

a: housing marijuana users, prosecuting offenders, funding international military operations to destroy crops, funding marijuana security forces and the general public cost to fight marijuana. All the while still having it readily available so people can still get lung cancer.

b: Cutting marijuana related expenses from the budet. Raising a "sin" tax on legal marijuana and having a potentially public strain on those who get lung cancer from their use - especially when you consider the # of people who contribute to their own medical coverage

You also missed the entire point of my post.

The people who gateway to harder drugs often have more things wrong with them than just drug use.

The drug use is a symptom, not the disease.

To punish the symptom without trying to ease the disease all you're going to do is get different related symptoms.

We can't eliminate 100% of cost. We can't eliminate 100% of dangerous situations. We don't live in bubble wrap.

However, there are ways to obtain the least amount of negative impact to the population as a whole.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:35 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,996 times
*Danielle*, what experience do you have with marijuana, other than personal use and anecdotes. Do you have any research experience, other than internet search (jstor, lexis-nexis, etc. not included)? Any hands on experience education wise (labs, pyschological tests, etc) concerning the topic?

Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,950,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
when all else fails turn to a slippery slope - all this has already been responded to in the thread
And yet you still refuse to answer the basic questions. That leads me to believe you all don't have an answer. So, you have already lost the argument, so why continue?

I asked two very basic, simple questions. No one... not after 25 pages of replies has one person for the legalization of marijuana answered them. (Post Edit: you answered one... to me (of course) it's as lame an answer as "it's already being done, so why not...." which could be said for any illegal activity from murder to rape, but at least you answered one, so thank you).

How can you expect answers when you refuse to give concrete, unbiased, statistically proven, answers yourself? But what should I expect from people who have nothing better to do than fight for a cause to fry their own brains?!?!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:49 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
It's a lack of redundancy and the knowledge that your opinion is set.

Someone else answered the "why this and not that" question as well after you posted it.

At least I'll give you credit for being a consistent hardliner against all - even if I think it's incredibly misguided

Old 11-25-2008, 02:02 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,553,113 times
Question: how many of the pro-legalization people in this forum have kids? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates