Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2008, 12:23 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,297,190 times

Advertisements

i'm not going to argue too much on this, because I feel your speaking more on emotion than anything and given what has been already presented there isn't a thing I can say to change your mind.

I just hope you actually take a minute down the line to revisit this and think about it logically

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
This is not what this post is about. Let me guess...because alcohol is legal so should pot? I have to many jobless and lazy friends who can not get a job because they fail drug tests for good paying jobs. But they don't care, becuase they like to feel good.
The thread is about reasoning why to keep it illegal. Alcohol becomes very relevant as it is a former banned substance, is currently readily available and has some shared side affects (drowsiness, motor function, etc)

Quote:
The fact of the matter is people do not want high people working for them because they can not do so safely.
Of course. The same reason why people don't want workers who are unreliable, show up drunk, sleep on the job, etc.

If someone chooses to work low skill jobs and prefers vice to work, so be it. Employers do not have to hire or retain those who show any of those negative attributes.

It's a pure strawman to say that there will be increased harm due to lax safety due to an increase in high workers. This is due to companies being able to regulate their employees, the majority of substance users being responsible enough to not let their personal habits blend into their work and the fact that you seem to frequently deny - that there are already a lot of pot users out there. If this risk were so great it would be present today. I have coworkers who frequently smoke and I'm far from a low level company or job function.

Quote:
Nobody here can honelsty say that when someone is high, they can function 100% SAFELY.
Nobody here can honestly say that when someone is drunk, they can function 100% SAFELY

Nobody here can honestly say that when someone is on sudafed, they can function 100% SAFELY

Nobody here can honestly say that when someone is on claritan, they can function 100% SAFELY

Nobody here can honestly say that when someone is having a migrane, they can function 100% SAFELY

Nobody here can honestly say that when someone is on anti-depressants, they can function 100% SAFELY

Nobody here can honestly say that when someone is depressed, they can function 100% SAFELY

I guess I fail to see your point......................

Quote:
I don't want my kids to have easy access to any of it. I want it limited. The less they have immidiate access too the better. Why would any parent want dangerous items totally available for their kids to get on their own? That makes no sense to me at all.
Guess what? Your kids do have access to it. Everyday and it's really easy to obtain. Next time you are in the walgreens, gas station, etc look at those people lining up to buy flavored blunts, cigarellos, etc. Those people will be using drugs very soon.

The dangerous items is a red-herring as well. Guns & knives are much more dangerous and even more readily available. Also, no one is advocating that an 8 year old be able to go and buy some pot.

It wouldn't be meant for children (much like cigarettes and alcohol).

Right now access is pretty immediate. Kids make stupid immature decisions. The fact that something is forbidden makes it more appealing to kids.

If your kid is going to expirement, why would you want them buying a product from a lowlife, that could be cut with any # of chemicals and put them in a dangerous situation? Wouldn't you want a government regulated product if worse came to worse?

Quote:
Being illegal does make it a tad more difficult to obtain. They have to make that clear choice to cross that line. If they choose to go get it, they risk the consequences. I think those consequences deter some people from buying it.
Then you haven't been in any school or college recently. If you want it you can get it. Many just don't want it. It's much easier to get busted for alcohol possession in college than drug possession.

Since alcohol can be purchased legally there really isn't a big marketplace to sell it illegally. Some stores may do this, but risk losing their license. You may be able to get a friend or relative to buy or have some other connection.

Since the only way to buy pot is illegally then that is 100% of the distribution channel for everyone. From fifteen to fifty everyone is buying from the same channels, making it very profitable.

It's actually a broader channel for teenagers as those who are selling it are gaining a profit regardless and they have nothing to lose and no reason to differentiate between kid & adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,965,919 times
So here's a quick question to all of you with regards to legalizing drugs...

Why stop at marijuana? Why not legalize cocaine? Why not legalize meth? Why not legalize heroin? Why not legalize crack? Why have prescriptions for morphine, codeine, thebaine, and oxycotin? Just a bunch of people who want to have fun sitting around, right?

All we want is to get high, right? We just want to feel good, right? We can save millions, right? We can take it from the hands of crime syndicates and regulate it, right? Think about all the prison beds we open up for real criminals (cause breakin' the law doin' drugs isn't really bad... we just stretch the law.. cause it's easy to get, right???).

Or, do you think we should just placate pot smokers? Doesn't sound fair to other drug users, does it?

The line has to be drawn somewhere... that line was drawn a long time ago. Now you want to change it. So, why not make it all or nothing?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,548,684 times
Yes there is a single reason pot will not be legalized.

There is too much money to be made in drug enforcement. I've published on this in the 80's and 90's.

Enforcing pot laws creates jobs for -- prosecutors judges secretaries jailers chemists bondsmen, defense attorneys , drug programs and treatment centers- probation offices and their staff -Training drug dogs, government anti drug programs- the construction industry for buildings that house all of the above.

SO yes the single reason is ... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 11-25-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
But I'm with you ... outlaw alcohol!! I would stop.. and 30,000-40,000 people per year will still be alive into the future. It's an asinine logic to say "two wrongs will make a right!!" And that's what's essentially being said.
Do you really believe this?!

Really!!

Banning alcohol would stop 30,000 - 40,000 people a year from dying.

First we would have two huge unprotected boarders from which the product would be smuggled.

The return of stills and shine would pop up overnight.

Police would have to combat this and international concerns would increase.

Like prohibition, the money offered to police/military to turn an eye to certain aspects would go way up leading to more corrupt governance.

Take away the guanateed deaths that come with an illegal marketplace (smugglers, distributors, home chemists, etc) you would definitely have the # you cite be replaced by police officers, military members, crimes committed by hardened criminals freed from the sytem and organized crime innocents killed

Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,338,920 times
Quote:
This is not what this post is about. Let me guess...because alcohol is legal so should pot? I have to many jobless and lazy friends who can not get a job because they fail drug tests for good paying jobs. But they don't care, becuase they like to feel good. The fact of the matter is people do not want high people working for them because they can not do so safely.

Nobody here can honelsty say that when someone is high, they can function 100% SAFELY.

I don't want my kids to have easy access to any of it. I want it limited. The less they have immidiate access too the better. Why would any parent want dangerous items totally available for their kids to get on their own? That makes no sense to me at all.
Being illegal does make it a tad more difficult to obtain. They have to make that clear choice to cross that line. If they choose to go get it, they risk the consequences. I think those consequences deter some people from buying it.
A 16 year old can go to the dealers house and walk out with pot. I have yet to see a 16 year old go to the liquor store and walk our with any black velvet.

Yes, people could be putting others at risk when they drink or smoke pot on the job. But wehat about those who stay home - like most people do with alcohol.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
So here's a quick question to all of you with regards to legalizing drugs...

Why stop at marijuana? Why not legalize cocaine? Why not legalize meth? Why not legalize heroin? Why not legalize crack? Why have prescriptions for morphine, codeine, thebaine, and oxycotin? Just a bunch of people who want to have fun sitting around, right?

All we want is to get high, right? We just want to feel good, right? We can save millions, right? We can take it from the hands of crime syndicates and regulate it, right? Think about all the prison beds we open up for real criminals (cause breakin' the law doin' drugs isn't really bad... we just stretch the law.. cause it's easy to get, right???).

Or, do you think we should just placate pot smokers? Doesn't sound fair to other drug users, does it?

The line has to be drawn somewhere... that line was drawn a long time ago. Now you want to change it. So, why not make it all or nothing?
when all else fails turn to a slippery slope - all this has already been responded to in the thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,360,992 times
Quote:
Thank your for your stoner outlook and personal attacks. That is a fantastic way to have a discussion on something. I am sure your kids are much smarter with all the pot on board right? Just please keep your stoner kids away from my successful, healthy and motivated kids. They probably won't be able to get up off the couch so I probably don't have to worry to much.
Let me list the daily pot smokers I know:
  1. Yale graduate who works in the legal department at Google and who is currently weighing his options of Law school at top-25 schools or a promotion with the company that made him a 27 year old millionaire
  2. Librarian at a major public library with a master's degree and near 4.0 grades throughout college and the MA program.
  3. Investment Advisor Representative (myself) who graduated a semester early from a top-50 school while playing on both the ice hockey and baseball teams, writing for the college paper and volunteering as a basketball coach.
  4. Scientist with a major pharmaceutical company (over $5,000,000,000 in revenue last year) tenured with 5 years as the youngest tenured scientist in the whole company.
  5. Professional Musician with an international following that stretches from Asia to Europe to Africa to Central America.
  6. Orthopaedic Surgeon with 35 years experience.
  7. Corporate Lawyer with 30 years experience.
  8. News Anchor in a top-50 TV market.
  9. Manager of the Account Transfers department of one of the largest financial companies in the US (~$275,000,000,000 Assets under management).

You see, when you run out of arguments you call me a pothead. You associate me with the stoner guys you see on TV, but most potheads are just people who happen to choose marijuana over other drugs as their from of relaxation or who use it to combat chronic pain (like myself) that Rx drugs tend to be less effective against. As you can see from the list above, smoking and accomplishing are not in competition with each other. You can accomplish a lot even if you smoke every day.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:36 PM

2,862 posts, read 9,574,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Yes there is a single reason pot will not be legalized.

There is too much money to be made in drug enforcement. I've published on this in the 80's and 90's.

Enforcing pot laws creates jobs for -- prosecutors judges secretaries jailers chemists bondsmen, defense attorneys , drug programs and treatment centers- probation offices and their staff -Training drug dogs, government anti drug programs- the construction industry for buildings that house all of the above.

SO yes the single reason is ... $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Good...I am glad to see some jobs being created out of all of this. I just can't put my stamp of approval on MJ. Sorry...My 'dumb' kids will suffer I guess.

It only damages brain cells and respiratory systems, decreases hormone production in both sexes, acute memory loss, loweres immune systems and impaires motor skills. THC and marijuana smoke have been directly linked to miscarriage, in-utero fetal death, stillbirth and infant death just after birth, along with behavioral and biological abnormalities of offspring.

This drug and others should remain illegal.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,653,245 times
Because pot is a gateway drug. Show me a heroin addict, a meth addict or any other addict (with the possible exception of alcohol) and I'll show you someone who smoked pot.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
Because pot is a gateway drug. Show me a heroin addict, a meth addict or any other addict (with the possible exception of alcohol) and I'll show you someone who smoked pot.
and mastaurbation is a gateway to rape - i bet you every rapist on this planet has started off with some solo practice

imagine that - people who use hard drugs have used soft drugs

the litmus test (and one that fails for your cause) is the # of people who have smoked pot and HAVE NOT used harder drugs

it's not like weed gives you crack cravings ........

Hey Rick, why you shooting heroin?

Sorry Bob, it's all that weed i've been smoking recently
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates