Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2006, 06:36 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,201 times

Advertisements

I suppose a place has to fit your lifestyle. If you don't like Starbucks, stay away from Seattle and Portland. If you think that critters should not be eaten, stay away from East Texas. If you hate golf, don't go near Naples, Florida. And if rich people are your pet peeve, avoid Nantucket, the Vineyard, the Hamptons. And if you are driven up the wall by people who tell you everyday that they would not live anywhere else--avoid San Diego and Maui. Hey, life is too short to consider the arm pits. But I give you my two cents.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:51 PM

30 posts, read 155,603 times
Default Baltimore

I think Baltimore has to be the worst. Awful traffic, and there are absolutely no nice parts of Baltimore. The entire city is crime filled, ugly, old, greasy, grimy, homeless, ghetto, and redneck. Baltimore also has the most STDs, the major league's worst baseball team for almost 10 years, and the Ravens are always going to prison. My dad almost moved us up there for his job when I was a kid, and I'm glad every day that he didn't. Some of the suburbs are alright though, and at least the weather isn't bad.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:44 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,045 times
Baltimore has more identity than any blue-collar town in America, and less attitude and snobbery than DC. Fells Point is a nice area for sure, and Roland Park is one of the nicest neighborhoods in Maryland.

But it is crime-ridden and dirty. No argument there

Old 08-30-2006, 07:58 PM

95 posts, read 434,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Those of us who have suffered from living in Houston feel offended that we have not been included in the list of suckiest places to live. How dare you guys forget Houston!
Hot, humid; Texans who think they are special just because they are from Texas; overly sensitive to everything, so you have to adjust your personality to so many people you think you must be Sybil; a city of the haves and have nots--especially since Katrina; etc., etc., etc.
Houston is just a dull, boring, over WalMarted, big box stored FRANCHISE loving restauranted city...zzzzzzzz.... Houston's slogan should be something like, "guaranteed to put you to sleep."
OMGoodness I'm cracking up! Totally 10000000% agree. Hate it here. I swear I start to sweat just when I start THINKING about going outside.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:57 AM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Those of us who have suffered from living in Houston feel offended that we have not been included in the list of suckiest places to live. How dare you guys forget Houston!
Hot, humid; overly sensitive to everything, so you have to adjust your personality to so many people you think you must be Sybil; a city of the haves and have nots
Houston is just a dull, boring, over WalMarted, big box stored FRANCHISE loving restauranted city...zzzzzzzz.... Houston's slogan should be something like, "guaranteed to put you to sleep."
YES I agree 100% about Atlanta...

OH WAIT...sorry you were talking about Houston...Ok so it's not as humid Atlanta, and plus we will have as many Super Targets in a couple years as we have Super Wal-Marts...So HA Atlanta isn't a crummy as Houston...

Old 09-04-2006, 11:25 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Beverly Hills has to be the worst place to live:

1. No Wal-Mart.
2. Too many foreigners who don't speak English.
3. New homeowners want to tear down their houses and put up the Taj Mahal on their lot.
4. Paparazzi take your photo when you're getting the newspaper from the front lawn in your bathrobe with your hair unbrushed.
5. People steal your garbage.
6. "See the Stars Homes" tourbuses blocking the street all the time.
7. Cute straight pool cleaners and gardeners are booked solid until 2008.
8. The kids constantly complain "Daddy, when are we getting a bowling alley in the house just like the Spellings have?"
9. Crime rate is really high if you include white collar crime.
10. Botox parties.

I guess things really are bad all over....

Old 09-08-2006, 02:18 AM

15 posts, read 90,630 times
After going thru the thread I've basically come to : most people are complaining about similar things. Most importantly, America, however better crime is getting ..is still suffering the highest crime rate in the developed world. Having murder capitals in the world's richest country is an embarrassment. I am not pro nor anti NRA....I am pro life though...and I do not believe that anyone has the right to take life away..for whatever reason they may come up with..or whatever reason some doctor comes up with! The answer to this problem? Policing. I must say...if NYC can do something about it..then some hell hole in the center of the country can. I agree in investing into the local economy...but making Donut joints rich is beyond comprehension! Secondly, Litter. There is NO reason that people not dispose of THEIR garbage appropriately. Cleanliness Equals Civility! Nevertheless, programs must be initiated into the education program tackling the problem! There is no way you can tackle it with adults ...only thru financial avenues. Fine the pigs! Thirdly, I found that most complained about the lack of culture. This my friends is something everyone, including the complainer is responsible for! This is not only sad but this is the responsibility of the community and not one person. Schools should encourage students to get involved in projects, talent shows, bazaars, churches, etc. This should also be followed with parent involvement-don't expect your kids to do this by themselves. During warmer months, plays, concerts, and the like should be put on in your city's parks. Bring people outdoors. Get them away from the cultural demon - the TV. Television kills civilzation! There is very little that is good about TV. It does the world a lot of bad. Every way you look at it, the television makes a the wound larger. Crime, fads, gangs all feed from what they see on television. Health wise, the couch potatoes which healthwise is bad ,we all know about America's weight problem, but also it makes people more anti social. They don't go out anymore. Parents rather watch Oprah or Days of our Lives, CSI and the like than go see the kids play ball or ballet. More recently, the cell phone. Whereas years ago, we would see our friends by going to their house and knocking on the door, we then got the telephone. Then we used to call them. We visited each other but for simple things we called each other. Now with the cell phone...we stopped calling each other and send one generic message to all on our list to wish them a Happy New Year. What I am saying here is that we are responsible for where we live and how we live. The Rust Belt as are the dying cities of the Industrial NE sector of the country, are traditionally the areas that people are complaining about and the same goes for this forum. Other areas are the border areas of the US & Mexico as are the "redneck" areas of the south. Though for the former, the only way to bring these areas alive is to bring people back to them...not till 5pm only. Make people want to stay in the center after the offices are closed. To have dinner there...see a film...go to the theater etc. Many US cities lack this and this we can look towards which cities keep people in their CBD's after dark. That's where European cities are doing much better. We can look at what they are doing. American's are great making a place thrive...though they don't know how to make a place "livable"....and I think it's high time we got to business ..doing something together and not leaving it for the next guy and just comlaining about how bad it is. Where did we find out the crime wave hitting our city?From TV. ....The news nowadays is like going to the movies..orchestra music and all...making it like a thriller....of course they know what they are doing...they sell advertisements and make millions.....do we though?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 AM

107 posts, read 720,928 times
You made some good points, greekeagle, although your boldface paragraph is actually hard to read. You hit the nail on the head with the lack of U.S. government attention to "liveable" urban qualities.

Where I live, were I to go downtown at night and leave the comfort of my car and whatever venue I went to, I could expect armed gangs (who should be the actual target of gun control), homeless, panhandlers, and no one speaking or understanding English.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 90,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdu View Post
You made some good points, greekeagle, although your boldface paragraph is actually hard to read. You hit the nail on the head with the lack of U.S. government attention to "liveable" urban qualities.

Where I live, were I to go downtown at night and leave the comfort of my car and whatever venue I went to, I could expect armed gangs (who should be the actual target of gun control), homeless, panhandlers, and no one speaking or understanding English.

Thanks Perdu, I tend to go on and on...and often I lose myself and what I was trying to say. That is one of the reasons I choose bold to read what I write easier...though it didn't work for me here..only in the final reply. You know, it really bothers me that having lived in Canada and the US the notion of what livable is and means is so much different than here in Europe. I really like the idea of bringing people together for whatever reasons and not necessarily costing them anything. For example I'll give "my" week...In the past week I went to the theater...an outdoor one..saw a very good play with both primary and secondary Greek actors. Cost = Nil, A Book Fair in the center with music and activities for both young and old. The cost was your food, your ice cream etc. At the same time, various authors were there to promote their books...others gave talks...while others recited poetry. Two nights ago one of Greece's most successful singers who hosted Eurovision with Greek-American M. Menounos, gave an outdoor concert on the beach here in Athens, and attracted an audience in the thousands. Cost once again was nil. Tonight is a very important day devoted to the Virgin Mary and in my neighborhood, there was an evening prayer, followed by the followers parading the main boulevard behind the holy icon and then be blessed by it. Following this there was a festival with music, dancing, food, stands with various items that were for sale..like an outdoor farmer's market though instead of vegetables there were clothes, flowers, icons, jewelry, toys etc etc. Local politicians and distinguished members of our community were there as well. All of this of course like I said was for free...now if someone wants to add a few euros/dollars to their budget...things can be even better. These are things that happen throughout the warm months [usually outdoors] and a number are held even in winter outdoors though sometimes things may be taken indoors.

What you said about being afraid of driving somewhere and getting out of your car seems to bring back those memories of America that I wanted to put behind me. I know how hard it can be when crime is a problem. I have been a victim of crime too many times that people often wonder how I'm still here....others just say I'm **** lucky as I've been in too many predicaments for one to be comfortable....ranging from being held at gunpoint, robbed, mugged, carjacked and held hostage. Here in Athens, I've put all that behind me as I go out at any time of the day or night and 99.9% of the areas are generally "very" safe. There is only one square in the center that has drug addicts. Though the worst thing there is the hassling for some money usually.
As for the others you mentioned...nowadays, whereever one travels to that has an immigrant population....you get the same thing. I just wish the though the local gov't does something in conjunction with state and federal gov't in the US ....it's important that this starts at the local level...can you imagine how nice it would be to be able to do some of the things I mentioned in your city?

Old 09-09-2006, 10:29 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,642 times
Default California

I'll just list the bad areas. Most adults know what a bad area is and means (crime).

Norwalk
Cerritos
Pomona
Garden Grove
Ontario
Victorville
Barstow
Fontana
Redlands
Rialto
If you need to ask a location and want to move to California. Just PM me in case its not listed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.