Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:12 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom
Fresno, CA

1. High number of people
2. Majority of people self-centered
3. The HEAT
4. The Crime
5. The housing costs
6. Lacks culture-- read: oversized farming community
7. Gangs and gang related activity
8. The FOG
9. Too sprawled out, takes half an hour to go anywhere at best
10. Extremely poor air quality
11. Only two seasons; HOT HOT HOT and FOG
I grew up in the Central Valley, Fresno is, and has long been, a crime-ridden seething cauldron of mediocrity with horrible air, bad roads, bad traffic, and not much going for it. I'm so glad I don't live there. The fog is ubiquitous though to the entire San Joaquin and Sacramento valleys, though it's colder fog up around Modesto. The heat...well...yep...it sucks.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:42 PM

33 posts, read 241,800 times
Default Has to be Wash, DC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal
Guess....

1 - sic winters
2 - like any uber large city Gangs, crime, and pollution
3 - bone jarring potholes
4 - ridiculous traffic
5 - scary schools
6 - killer real estate taxes
7 - worst drivers outside of tjuana
8 - parking, what's that ?
9 - foreign nationals driving down down the street waiving
their flag honking the horn (if mexico, puerto rico, and
poland are so great, why are they here ?)
10- having to pay full price for a AAA baseball team (not family friendly;
unless your kids watch HBO)
Someone may have already guessed, but I haven't made my way through this entire thread. I would have to say Washington, DC - our nation's capital!

The dead-giveaways for me: the ridiculous traffic; the potholes; terrible drivers; and #10 -- have to pay full price to watch the Nationals on the local cable channels.

Glad I left that area.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:46 PM

33 posts, read 241,800 times
Default Oops!

Well, I SHOULD HAVE read the entire thread before posting.

Lo, and behold, it was Chicago of which dancoal was referring.

Well, Wash, DC has many similarities.

Cheers, Grace

Old 07-28-2006, 03:57 PM

164 posts, read 353,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark
I grew up in the Central Valley, Fresno is, and has long been, a crime-ridden seething cauldron of mediocrity with horrible air, bad roads, bad traffic, and not much going for it. I'm so glad I don't live there. The fog is ubiquitous though to the entire San Joaquin and Sacramento valleys, though it's colder fog up around Modesto. The heat...well...yep...it sucks.
So that's 3 votes for Fresno. Does that mean Fresno "wins??" Did you know that you can actually go on the Internet and buy a T-shirt that says "Fresno - it really does suck there" How many cities can say that???

Old 07-28-2006, 04:17 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,718,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal
ITChick
Over 30 years (some in the burbs)
Northwest side primarily
Fun place to visit, not to raise a family
(doing that north of San Diego)

P.S. enjoy the great food and nightlife
Yeah, the food and the nightlife are big here. I lived for several years on the Northwest side. Safe but boring.

But I'd really rather be somewhere warmer.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:44 AM

61 posts, read 94,323 times
For biggest armpit, I would have to say the city I'm in now,
Roanoke, VA.

Somehow it's gotten a lot of awards as one of the best places to live/retire to. I just don't get it:

1) Traffic- both in Roanoke, and on I-81 on which many people have to travel on. There's a lot of hills and the fact that thousands and thousands of trucks drive through Roanoke and 81 makes it ten times worse.
2) Illegal immigrants- Roanoke is filled with em. None speak English, steal your items (like my lawnmower and put it in their shed), they cram 8 people into a tiny 2-door hatchback and drive 20mph on busy, faster roads, and everything else that comes with a large percentage of illegals.
3) High-wind winters- the winters don't get too bad, temperature wise. Sometimes theres a lot of snow, sometimes not. Either way, all winter, and more so fall-early spring, wind blows all the time, every day, at high speeds. It will blow items out of your hand, hats off your head, and will pierce through all your clothes, no matter how much leather or wind jackets or anything you have on. It's a frigid, constant wind.
4) Job market- the job market consists of 2 groups- retail/restaurants which will only get you so far. the other group is unskilled labor- warehouses and factories. That's it.
5) Rednecks- in every vision of the word- people who can't dress themselves and have no respect for themselves. Dirty/torn clothes, missing clothes, smelly, rude, 'i love confederacy paraphenalia', etc.
6) Airport- want to travel anywhere? I don't think so. Roanoke Regional Airport is small and worthless. It's like calling Wal-Mart a large shopping mall.

You could say it's good because the housing market is good- where I'm from, Williamsburg, VA, comparable houses cost twice as much as Roanoke. No wonder, nobody with money stays out here.

Roanoke is truly an 'armpit'- Virginia cares about Richmond, Hampton Roads, and Northern VA around DC. Western half of the state gets ignored and is truly, the armpit.

Old 07-29-2006, 12:17 PM

107 posts, read 720,928 times
Los Angeles:
1. Median priced houses are over $600,000.00 which are small and in horribly dangerous neighborhoods
2.You need to earn over $110,000.00 a year to qualify for a home loan for these crummy houses.
3. Illegal immigrants, the majority here, are terrible neighbors because they don't or don't want to comply with American laws and city ordinances.
4.Smog, worst in nation
5.Traffic, worst in nation
6.Polar bifurcation of income levels, worst in nation (there are rich, there are poor, there are very few middle class people left.)
7.Bad, bad drivers who imitate the third world heedlessness of their home countries
8.Business-unfriendly taxing, worst in nation
9.Massive local taxing to support illegal immigrants with services that citizens will never get.
10.Widespread around all of the county, and numerically huge dangerous gangs, worst in nation.

welcome to paradise

Old 07-29-2006, 08:18 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,751,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmznGrace
Well, I SHOULD HAVE read the entire thread before posting.

Lo, and behold, it was Chicago of which dancoal was referring.

Well, Wash, DC has many similarities.

Cheers, Grace
LOL I guessed DC too.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:14 PM

246 posts, read 329,148 times
Great submissions, all!

This topic was inspired by "Crap Towns", publised by The Idler magazine. It's a laundry list of the worst towns in Britain. Thought we could an inventory on this side of the Atlantic as well.

http://www.idler.co.uk/crap/ (broken link)

Not surprisingly, Camden NJ made their list too.

Magpies

Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 AM

976 posts, read 3,860,970 times
Default Johnstown, Pennsylvania

Where to begin.

1. IMO they are all hicks who sit around and do nothing to make the city better.

2. Unemployment is horrible.

3. The skyline is decayed and no modernism is in it.

4. No nice housing. It seems like only a few people take care of their houses there. Weeds growing all over their houses even in the downtown weeds are their landscaping.

5. No diversity at all. No culture. No nothing. It seems like the only jobs you can find are a cook at a local restaurant, a dishwasher, or a mechanic. Nothing wrong with these jobs, they just dont pay much. So there for not a good job oppurtunity.

Overall the town has went downhill ever since Pittsburgh lost its status back in the 70s. But Pittsburgh is a great looking city that has went through alot of redevelopment. Johnstown, PA is still stuck in the 70s and it doesnt look like anything has moved on in that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.