Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 06:09 PM
RCL

123 posts, read 680,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Los Angeles, California
1. 300 illegal immigrants move here every day
2. And they all hate anyone who's not them
3. And trash your neighborhood, blasting stadium-worthy P.A. systems that rattle windows of houses 5 blocks away. And promulgate the gang mentality of retaliation and macho nastiness.
4. We are the violent gang capital of the nation, meaning the violent gangs pervade more communities here, not just slum parts.
5. Smog is pervasive to every corner except those communities next to the ocean.
6. 4 million people inner city and 10 million total county-wide is just too many no matter how spread out we are.
7. Public transportation to these far-flung locales is anemic at best
8. It takes an hour to drive anywhere no matter where you want to go, and 3 hours during rush hours (6 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
9. No one speaks English voluntarily, and most don't speak any at all.
10.They outlawed purebred dogs this year with mandatory spay and neutering.
Had to have an 11. We retain only a 28% population of middle class, as opposed to 50% elsewhere in all U.S. cities. That means this is city for the filthy rich, or poor people crammed 14 to a house who serve the rich. Nothing affordable or available for normal, middle class working Americans.
Gee, I think with the exception of the population count and the purebred dog outlaw, you could almost be describing the Bay Area, Sacramento, and the Central Valley corridor.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:01 PM

184 posts, read 902,021 times
Exclamation Yet it inspired a song...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullnboring View Post
The crummiest town I've ever been to was Amarillo, Texas. If New Jersey is thought to be the armpit of America, well then, Amarillo is America's infected wart.
In the UK, there is a song titled "Is this the way to Amarillo?" that was re-released last year and was number 1 in the charts for 13 weeks... so that dents Amarillo's credits to be entitled the worst place in the US.

So I think, the award has to go to some part of LA.. east, south... take your pick!...Detroit, honourable mention.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:11 AM

246 posts, read 329,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowThruTheMoon View Post
In the UK, there is a song titled "Is this the way to Amarillo?" that was re-released last year and was number 1 in the charts for 13 weeks... so that dents Amarillo's credits to be entitled the worst place in the US.

So I think, the award has to go to some part of LA.. east, south... take your pick!...Detroit, honourable mention.
"Is this the way to Amarillo?", I guess it's a catchier title than "Is this the way to Kingston-upon-Hull?"

Magpies

Old 08-21-2006, 10:55 AM

138 posts, read 468,504 times
Nope, I just came across your posts- very good question. You are all wrong!! It is San Antonio, Texas1 I think we beat the amout of illegals coming in- something like 1,200 a day to Texas. If you're not Mexican, then you are target for most of the crime! Crime, dirty, drunks and beggers all over! Heat and humidity are awful! But cost of living/houses are reasonable- because nobody in their right mind wants to have to be there! I can't wait to sell my winter place there!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 03:32 PM

571 posts, read 2,529,634 times
Unhappy San Antone? Say it isn't so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
Nope, I just came across your posts- very good question. You are all wrong!! It is San Antonio, Texas!
That's really too bad. I've been to San Antonio a few times (though my last visit was probably 8 or 10 years ago) and really loved the place. Though I suppose, like Vegas, it could be one of those places that's fun to visit but you wouldn't want to live there. Quite a shame.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Red

32 posts, read 163,855 times
Default in defense of SA

As a frequent visitor to Texas and the south, I have to say that San Antonio is nowhere near the worse city in the US. It's not even close to the worst city in Texas. There are definitely areas of SA that I would not choose to live--in fact, there are 2 or 3 areas of Texas I would choose to move before any area of SA--but I have to respectfully disagree with SA showing up on this list. There are a lot of yuckier places I won't mention.

--Red

Old 08-22-2006, 06:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Cary, North Carolina.
One word: STEPFORD!!!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:13 AM

113 posts, read 524,784 times
Thumbs down Waterville, Ohio

1. HIGH crime. You would think you are living in inner city freakin Detroit or something. Burglaries are alarmingly commonplace. Police dept tells you "sorry about your luck, it could have been anybody" and doesnt investigate. No wonder crime is high.

2. Corrupt city officials, enveloped by their own greed.

3. Alcohol is the most popular pastime.

4. Nothing to do except alcohol.

5. Rude, snotty little town

6. Having the best possessions or home makes you the king

7. All residential, except for strip mall

8. Too far from anything else

9. Meth and Cocaine rampant

10. Town acts bigger than it is

Last edited by Azrider; 08-24-2006 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-24-2006, 03:37 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
Nope, I just came across your posts- very good question. You are all wrong!! It is San Antonio, Texas1 I think we beat the amout of illegals coming in- something like 1,200 a day to Texas. If you're not Mexican, then you are target for most of the crime! Crime, dirty, drunks and beggers all over! Heat and humidity are awful! But cost of living/houses are reasonable- because nobody in their right mind wants to have to be there! I can't wait to sell my winter place there!!!
As a former resident and someone soon-to-be living back in San Antonio, I'd have to respectfully disagree: SA is no where near the worst city in the US.

I was just in SA and it was not crawling with crime, dirt, drunks & beggars. You make SA sound like it is inner city hell reminiscent of the city in Total Recall! What area/s are you referring to?

Heat & humidity - yeah - it's bad but not like Houston (that was NOT a bash on Houston).

I don't know about the numbers of illegals coming in but I would put Laredo and Otay Mesa (CA) way ahead of San Antonio on that count.

In my book, SA doesn't even figure into this discussion. But...that's just my opinion.

Old 08-24-2006, 04:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I don't think dc53 has ever set foot in California if he thinks SA is bad!

We are having a home built in SA and we really haven't seen a lot of crime or drunks or beggars or illegals or dirty where we are moving to. In fact, we haven't seen a lot of that downtown!!!

dc53, I strongly urge you to take a little trip here to California. I can't speak for the places in CA that I don't know about, but I certainly invite you to check out Los Angeles, which I DO know about. You will find all of the things you mentioned about SA - and then some in Los Angeles. I live in the Coachella Valley and I must say that while it is pretty nice, we too are being overrun with illegal immigrants and crime.

I have to disagree with you about SA and I have to say that SA does not belong on the list of the crummiest places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.