Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,365 times

Advertisements

For years now we have been taking out of town visitors to around the Washington DC Metro area. They are impressed with the many huge trees, parks and beautiful large homes in places like Northwest DC, Potomac and Great Falls, VA. Finally a relative said they had seen enough nice area they wanted to see SE DC where people live in Poverty and there is alot of crime, drugs and people hanging out on the street corner.

Well we took them to the worst side of DC and they liked it. It was a good description of the human condition and showed how many people live.

I recommend showing visitors the bad side of town, do you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 02:05 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
NOT IF IT'S ST. LOUIS, DETROIT, CHICAGO, CLEVELAND, OR ANOTHER MIDWESTERN CITY LIKE THESE THAT IS HIGH IN CRIME ROFLMFAO. I'd never put my ass on the line like that.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:12 PM

41,953 posts, read 75,167,069 times
I've taken out-of-towners to the so-called "bad" neighborhoods in Cincinnati and Cleveland. In Cleveland, my friends were all freaking out and holding onto the door handles, in case anyone was gonna try to steal my (10-year-old, rusted-out) car.

In Cincinnati, I had to take people into Over-the-Rhine to show them where I worked. My little nephew got to see his first cross dresser (he just saw a pretty lady, but I knew better). There isn't a neighborhood in Cincinnati I wouldn't drive through in the daytime. Nighttime, or on foot, is another story.

Sometimes the best clubs, restaurants, etc. are in the "bad" neighborhoods. My visitors often want a little local color, not just the chamber of commerce-approved tourist stops.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:10 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,596,211 times
I would do a photo tour solely on urban blight and poverty in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area as I think their plight needs to be addressed, but I figure that since our metro already has an awful reputation and connotation to so many people that it would just be like shooting ourselves in the foot in terms of rebuilding our downtrodded image. As such, I only highlight the historic districts and trendier parts of the downtown areas.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,031,245 times
I've never done that, but it might be kinda funny to roll through the 'hood out in Compton showing folks what the CPT is really about! LOL

Several years ago when I still lived in Los Angeles, during the OJ Simpson murder trial, my husband's sister came down from the Bay area for a visit. She insisted we go to Brentwood to see the site of the murder scene. Hubby and I never wanted to go because we lived nearby and didn't want to add to the traffic those people had in their neighborhood from all the gawkers and tourists. We gave in to his sister and drove into their hood and there were all these homeowners out there yelling and holding up signs for people to go home, go back to their own neighborhoods, etc. It was really embarrassing and we are sorry to have added to the traffic problem at that time.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:27 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,290,786 times
I wouldn't show them anywhere that I didn't feel safe,because I'm not going there...lol

Old 05-01-2007, 08:30 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
I regularly drive through the 'bad side' of town (well when I had a car) simply to get to places, so if someone was with me, well, then they would too.

Granted I'm not going to wander around the side streets of Englewood at midnight, but a lot of time the danger to the person passing through "the bad part of town" is grossly overstated (at least during the day). I've driven through the main streets of many nasty neighborhoods on Chicago's south and west sides for the purposes of running an errand or going somewhere and have never had any problems whatsoever. It wasn't a pretty drive, and yes, my doors were locked, but seriously people, think about what exactly your fears are here.

Now perhaps because I grew up driving through these neighborhoods with my dad when I was a child (not to mention I knew and know people who live in said 'bad neighborhoods' that it has never particularly been something I thought too much about, but I think that people really do overstate in their minds what exactly the reality of a 'bad neighborhood' is. No, it isn't pleasant to have to live in one, and I certainly chose my neighborhoods wisely, but c'mon now.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:47 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,982,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
For years now we have been taking out of town visitors to around the Washington DC Metro area. They are impressed with the many huge trees, parks and beautiful large homes in places like Northwest DC, Potomac and Great Falls, VA. Finally a relative said they had seen enough nice area they wanted to see SE DC where people live in Poverty and there is alot of crime, drugs and people hanging out on the street corner.
Well we took them to the worst side of DC and they liked it. It was a good description of the human condition and showed how many people live.
I recommend showing visitors the bad side of town, do you agree?
When I lived in NYC area, my wife and I found some of the bad areas by accident in the wee hours... I think we saw where HBO filmed their Hooker series; would I voluntarily take my family or extended family? no thank you! There's usually reason why areas are called bad areas. Unless I had a very good reason, I wouldn't drive through them on purpose.

I suppose one good reason would be to scare the heck out of my children... "This is where you might end up if you do drugs or drop out of school!"... but I have a few years until I need to be worried about that and will play that one by ear.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:01 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,084,520 times
Don't get me wrong, I'm not diminishing the nasty aspects of 'the bad part of town', keep in mind that I said I choose carefully the neighborhood I reside in as the day in and day out aspect of living somewhere that isn't safe, poverty and violence ridden, etc is truly a dismal experience that I would not wish on anyone, nor would I voluntarily reside in. However, my point was that there is often a misplaced fear/mystique to the 'bad neighborhood' that I find a bit silly. I've been through some funky parts of new york too, and while I probably wouldn't have stopped to get a bite to eat and chat with people on the street, I didn't feel like I was in any imminent danger if I just minded my own business and passed on through to where I intended to be.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:14 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Well said j33, well said. CHEERS! Ive been lost in one of the hardest neighborhoods on the planet (somewhere inside Maywood, IL) and although I was a bit uncomfortable, nothing happened. Would I go there at night by myself, heck frickin no! During the daytime though I was AOK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.