Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:30 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,986,647 times

Advertisements

Las Vegas is horrible.......oh my gosh!
1. Heat
2. Crime!!
3. ****ty Sprawl
4. Uglyness...
5. Horrible pollution levels
6. Gangs
7. Expensive crappy houses

Same for El Paso my gosh... can it get any worse.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:34 PM

212 posts, read 572,897 times
i nominate new orleans heres my reasons before after the storm:
1.crime
2.terrible education system
3.corupt politicians
4.mosquitoes, famoasan termities, large rats,and big flying roaches
5.terrible economy,low wages
6.shot gun houses
7.80% of the city is either ghetto or projects
8.the french quarters, thats where most of the money goes so people from everywhere can urinate all over it.
9.the heat and humidity
10. surrounded by polluted water on all sides.
11.no diversity 70% black in the city,70% whites live out the city
12.three years after the storm 60% and it still looks like it just happen yesterday.
sorry for the long rant i am a resident there and just think they are delusional down there.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:09 PM

212 posts, read 901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Instead of Crummiest Freaking town in America, I want to add a whole REGION - namely The ENTIRE Lower Mississippi River Valley between Memphis and Natchez, Miss. This is the location of the Infamous Mississippi Delta region (along with the likewise named Arkansas Delta and Louisiana Delta). I can't even begin to list all the statistics related to poverty, illegitimacy, poor education, and so forth - so I'll just say this: I perfectly admire one scholar's description of the region as "a rural ghetto" - all the problems associated with the poor inner city copied-and-pasted to the middle of nowhere. No, worse than that! The URBAN poor have incredible opportunities compared the Delta's poor.

Job Opportunities in the Delta - Guess?

Schools - most public schools are are the statistical bottom of the barrel. Even the private schools here are average at best.

Race Relations - about what you'd expect for this part of the country. Calling this region "The South Africa of America" would not be far off the mark.

Homophobia - let's just say that you shouldn't expect a PFLAG chapter anywhere around here any time soon

In short, it's obvious that any referecne to progressive ANYTHING is looked at with skepticism, suspicion, or contempt. If you have any values or attitudes that stray even slightly into the liberal end - this is NOT the place to be. The only way to find even slight relief from this oppressive mentality is to drive to the older middle class neighborhoods of Jackson, MS; Little Rock; or Memphis (even these aren't exactly known as progressive cities, but at least they have small islets of openness where you can find progressive-minded people).

Conclusion: The paper statistics are bad enough but my experience tells me that the Lower Mississippi Valley between Natchez and Memphis (a.k.a. "The Delta") is xenophobic, racist, homophibic, and antiprogressive; not to mention closed-minded and open-mouthed. Sorry, that's just my opinion as someone who lived in the Louisiana Delta in my youth.
So did you not have the opportunity to move to Metairie? Metairie seems to be a really good city. I read that it is much safer than New Orleans and has a good economy.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:04 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,152 times
Atlanta.

I see no reason for it's existence.

Old 09-14-2008, 03:12 PM

40 posts, read 90,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eauclaire23 View Post
E. St. Louis, IL: I made it out alive. Enough said. St. Louis isn't much better.

I'm curious, where did you spend your time in St. Louis? What attractions did you see, and what neighborhoods did you visit? What neighborhood staples did you visit?

You apparently know a lot about St. Louis since you are comparing it to one of it's suburbs. Enlighten me, please.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:56 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
East St. Louis is kind of sad.

But most of St. Louis city is good.

Old 09-14-2008, 09:18 PM

212 posts, read 901,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Atlanta.

I see no reason for it's existence.
Careful now. I'm sure some people really like Atlanta and might be offended by this. It's okay to say that you don't like a city, but consider the feelings of the people that live in that city. Maybe you should give some reasons for why Atlanta is so bad. You're making it sound like everything about Atlanta is bad.
I'm sure there are some good things about Atlanta.

Last edited by alligatorboy; 09-14-2008 at 10:35 PM..

Old 09-15-2008, 12:12 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,427,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpiesMagpiesMagpies View Post
Crummiest Freaking town in America
Salt Lake City.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:37 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Another vote for Cairo, Illinois for crummiest. It's just a bizarre and depressing place.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Since https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-been-why.html is on the front page, you can use that thread for the same purpose. We're limiting the types of front-page threads on a theme now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.