Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 03:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times

Advertisements

Compton ;California and liberty city in florida. Two hell holes for sure.Any big city really if you are lower middle class and below.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:53 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublea7 View Post
Detroit, Michigan. It was 20 years ago but I still remember being there. really scary place.
The eighties were a messed-up time in Detroit, remember my grandma coming in from Kentucky to visit and her Blazer got stolen within an hour of her parking in broad daylight.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:08 PM

84 posts, read 297,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
You know Compton and South Central LA are two different areas? Sometimes people tend to think they are all the same area
yeah they are located in different areas but regarding notoriously high crime... pretty much both areas are places not many people would willingly choose to live (an exception to the rule would be the friend of mine that I talked about. born and raised in Compton, went to college at Harvard, now back in Compton. by choice. for him, it's a part of his identity.)

Old 07-07-2008, 09:27 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
I read all 49 pages of replies and I have to say this list surely proves we all have differing levels of what we consider to be crummy, etc. Obviously, there is no one town that can take the honors of this threads title, but wow, there are some interesting points of view on the topic! Keep em' coming!

Old 07-07-2008, 10:53 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
[quote=MattDen;392031]Lexington and Grand Island Nebraska hasnt been mentioned?

Lexington, Nebraska has a very bad smell, also when I went to a store at 1am in the morning they had hot dogs for the day before sitting there all yucky looking and everything was expensive. The town was just filthy and had some of the worst housing stock I have ever seen before. Seems like the goal of everybody in Lexington, Nebraska is having as many babies as they possibly can also. I am sure sitting in a 1950s trailer with no hot water surrounded by miles of dirt in and smelling the nasty aroma in the air is Lexington, Nebraska people's goal in life.

I had to laugh reading this,I used to live there back in the 90's. It was a pretty nice little town until the IBP plant moved in.
Little downtown with brick streets,Movie theater from The 1950's. IBP came and 3,000-5,000 "undocumented" workers. There are alot of towns like this in the mid-west.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:39 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Cairo Illinois, most depressing place I've seen.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Marysville, CA.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,756 times
Canute Ok near Elk City Ok is the absolute worst place to live. That is unless you are hiding from the law or want to break the law. We do not have any law!! If you expect to get to sleep at a decent hour, forget it fireworks are shot off every night past midnight. Last year there were 12 y.o. kids shooting at my 82 y.o. father. The nearest cop is 35 miles away at the county seat and they will tell you they can do nothing to help you out. My life has been threatened. I was told my little dog would be killed in my yard, just because they can. Terrorism in United States exists in Canute OKlahoma. I was duped into moving here because I thought it was a nice little town. If someone is interested in moving in, I'll sell my place cheap!! NO HONEST CITIZEN would enjoy living here. I lived in ELK City Oklahoma for over 12 years. I had very few problems and none with my neighbors. I have lived here less than 6 months, (my dad lived here for 29 yrs). I have had problem after problem. All of them with people who moved in to town after I did. I thought my Dad had dementia when he requested to move into a nursing home. Now I understand he did it because he was scared and needed proection from his own town. How sad is that??

Old 07-11-2008, 09:51 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,570,973 times
I'm thinking every town has a "crummy" section. It's that way anywhere you go.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,089,634 times
SugarHazard

You posted the following referring to a post I made.

(quote by SugarHazard )
"sorry for delineating from the OP's thread. I just had to reply to such pompous, narcissistic, and hypocritical statements."

I tried to PM you but apparently you have blocked that. So I would like to address your comments here if I may. The discussion concerned posts being subjective or objective. You took quite exception to my point. (See earlier in the thread )

First, you have a point. Subjectivity is what the forum is about and "facts" can be gotten from a guide book. I would like to make my point a bit clearer though.

I was referring to hasty generalizations that border on a personal rant..I used the word vendetta... because of a very limited single experience that riled someone up. For example, I spend a day or two traveling through the state of XXX. I find it hot, the scenery along the interstate is flat and dull, and I can't find a decent place to get a meal. Then I come on the forum and state that no one should go near XXX because it is hot, dull, and the food sucks.

I don't believe that is useful. However, if someone identifies the experience as being one day on the interstate or someone has spent
considerable time throughout the state and then gives a perspective--I feel that would be more useful.

Some posters have "vendettas"--a word you objected to--because they are angry at an unfortunate circumstance that wouldn't pertain to anyone else. Some posters reflect not even personal knowledge but what they have "heard". By objective I meant using some sense about the limits of one's experience and about the impact it should have. It could be a piece of the picture for sure but I was suggesting that those who make blanket statements with very limited experience might want to identify that limitation and not make broad generalizations but let it be again-a piece of the picture.

My post was not thorough enough in explaining my position, I admit, however
how what I said translates into narcissism, pomposity, and hypocrisy is something you can explain if you care to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.