Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:11 PM

246 posts, read 329,217 times

Advertisements

There's a lot of talk on this forum about the best places to live. How 'bout we take a different trajectory and shout out the worst places that this great big country of ours has to offer. Don't just give names, say why they suck!

So let's have it -- how many armpits does this country have anyway?

Magpies

Old 07-22-2006, 02:54 AM

17 posts, read 29,647 times
Rawlins, Carbon county, Wyoming. It's a few feet beneath the armpit, more like the #2 waste disposal site. Population is around 9,000.
1. People are generally closed minded. It's not a very open community.
2. The biggest employer is the state prison, which is a maximum security joint.
3. Because of that, there is a lot of criminal element present.
4. And a lot of welfare recipients as well.
5. A good number of the prison employees I met should have been residents at the prison instead of employees.
6. The wind is nearly always blowing. You can count on both hands (in a good year) how many days there was no wind. When I was there it was common to see gusts in the 75-80 mph range.
7. Winter absolutely sucks. If you think the wind is bad in summer, wait 'till it snows.
8. Illegal aliens are thick.
9. Drugs are thick.
10. The divorce rate is very very low. There, a man doesn't lose his wife, he just loses his turn.

Old 07-22-2006, 04:00 AM

98 posts, read 341,736 times
Default Shenandoah, Virginia

The worst place to live is SHENANDOAH, VIRGINIA
1. Redneck country.
2. No culture.
3. Population is around 2000.
4. Gossiping seems to be the national pastimes.
5. Drinking and doing crank are the hobbies.
6. To add misery, Shenandoah now has a racetrack big enough to become a NASCAR racetrack. And the building of it was done with no consideration to the fact that the town is located in a farming area and what the pollution would do. Money talks and ......
johnnybandfreak

Old 07-22-2006, 05:32 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times
Default Philadelphia, PA

I know that I am going to get many people disagreeing with me, because a lot of people like it for it's culture, but I lived there for 32 years, so I am entitled to think I know what I am talking about

1. Check out their crime rate!
2. I subscribe to the Philadelphia Daily News, even where I live now, just to remind me of why I left, and the amount of murders....it's disgusting.
3. Their public schools (I was a public school teacher)
4. The trash that is absolutely littering all over the place
5. The dime baggies and crack vials, and bullet casings that I have found even in some of the "better" neighborhoods
6. The prositution that is all over certain neighborhoods, hidden or very prominent
7. the filthy, smelly public transportation (I have taken the subway, el and various buses throughout my life!)
8. over priced housing for very small square footage, without any land (and usually, without it being a single home)
9. the ignorance of sooo many of the people that live there (and this is in all races, not just one)
10. the gangs

Old 07-22-2006, 04:39 PM

216 posts, read 732,153 times
No, no, no, no, no......Phoenix, AZ........
-Usual temperatures in the 115's, 118's, etc.
-Ridiculous prices for homes (after investors ravaged the market)
-Ridiculous seller attitudes, refusing to lower highly-leveraged home prices (inability to deal w/reality also)
-An incredibly liberal governor who vetoes everything they send her way
-Disgusting water, disgusting air, and disgusting crime
-Speaking of which: TWO serial killers running loose
-TONS of illegal aliens, TONS more each day
-Lots of Meth/Meth addicts/Meth crimes, etc.
-AZ ranks even worse than Missouri in education.....

SHOULD I GO ON???????????????

Old 07-23-2006, 10:23 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
magpies,
You have the best post at this forum. Great question!!!
Don

Old 07-23-2006, 06:05 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Hmmm. I currently live in Flint Michigan, which is a pretty obvious contender.
Although I prefer it to Grand Blanc Michigan, where I lived for a few years right before this. Grand Blanc is blue-collar GM money, acres and acres of bland McMansions in subdivisions named after the things they bulldozed to make way for the boring lawns and monotonous houses. Deer Creek, Oak Ridge. Brook Cove. Birch Meadows. Etc. No real downtown, a new Walmart, Sam's Club and Kohls which spells the demise of the few older independent businesses that still remained. Several golf courses (home of the Buick Open, whoop de doo) and car dealers and fast food restaurants, chain oil change joints and gas stations. But the owner of the new mall refused to allow a dollar store to open there because it didn't fit in with the "city vision."
Like Walmart, Burger King and Jiffy Lube does.

So anyhow, I'm iconoclastic and would rather live in Flint than a sterile suburban town with a prestigious zipcode. At least Flint is entertaining, with people getting shot all over the place and such. Never a dull moment in the 'hood.

And yes, I own a house squarely in the 'hood on Flint's East side. Crack dealers and muggers and ho's, oh my.

Seriously, I pretty much dislike Michigan compared to other places I've lived and plan to move back out west when I have enough $$ saved. But if I had to choose between the rest of my life in a city like Flint or a bland, boring place like Grand Blanc, I'd choose Flint.
I'm probably way in the minority, though....

An interesting side note, though. I go to the local community/crimewatch meetings here. The county sheriff gave a talk this month, along with a judge and one of the DA's. Yes, prostitution is a problem, and yes they have been doing a lot of undercover sting operations going after the johns instead of the hookers. It's not Flint people who are cruising the ladies (or lads.) According to them, most of the guys they have been arresting have been from surrounding "nice" towns. Like Grand Blanc, Davison, Swartz Creek, Goodrich. Teachers, preachers, pillars of the community. Haha! They are considering, with the permission of the Flint Journal, publishing the names of all those they catch. That would sure be amusing.

Last edited by chiroptera; 07-23-2006 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-24-2006, 12:31 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,268,094 times
Default It's got to be Fresno

Fresno, CA

1. High number of people
2. Majority of people self-centered
3. The HEAT
4. The Crime
5. The housing costs
6. Lacks culture-- read: oversized farming community
7. Gangs and gang related activity
8. The FOG
9. Too sprawled out, takes half an hour to go anywhere at best
10. Extremely poor air quality
11. Only two seasons; HOT HOT HOT and FOG

Old 07-24-2006, 01:59 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,344 times
Los Angeles, California
1. 300 illegal immigrants move here every day
2. And they all hate anyone who's not them
3. And trash your neighborhood, blasting stadium-worthy P.A. systems that rattle windows of houses 5 blocks away. And promulgate the gang mentality of retaliation and macho nastiness.
4. We are the violent gang capital of the nation, meaning the violent gangs pervade more communities here, not just slum parts.
5. Smog is pervasive to every corner except those communities next to the ocean.
6. 4 million people inner city and 10 million total county-wide is just too many no matter how spread out we are.
7. Public transportation to these far-flung locales is anemic at best
8. It takes an hour to drive anywhere no matter where you want to go, and 3 hours during rush hours (6 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
9. No one speaks English voluntarily, and most don't speak any at all.
10.They outlawed purebred dogs this year with mandatory spay and neutering.
Had to have an 11. We retain only a 28% population of middle class, as opposed to 50% elsewhere in all U.S. cities. That means this is city for the filthy rich, or poor people crammed 14 to a house who serve the rich. Nothing affordable or available for normal, middle class working Americans.

Last edited by fastfilm; 07-24-2006 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM

262 posts, read 2,022,159 times
Thumbs down Here's a handful...

The one that comes to mind for some reason is Lumberton, NC, though I don't recall enough about it to remember why. A lot of the Midwest seems painfully dull, and Evansville, IN is a meth-riddled example. Gary is a second crummy IN town. Newark, NJ looks and smells awful, though I read a great piece on their new mayor who seems intent on cleaning it up. Of the major cities, New Orleans and Detroit have got to be the worst. In my native Maryland, I'd have to go with Suitland (lots of homicides, very unsafe), Dundalk (Newark for rednecks) and Luke (polluted mountain town that has been pretty much abandoned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.