Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM

92 posts, read 216,053 times

Advertisements

I suppose that the corrollary to "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder" is "Ugly is in the eye of the Beholder"

Depends upon what each person values. I knew one older gentlemen who lived in Quartzite AZ where it was 130 degrees in the shade (uofficial temp). He loved it there.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:21 PM

19 posts, read 84,325 times
hmm well i am not technically from the USA but i did live in Atlanta GA and i would never live in that dump hole again not even if you paid me. crappy traffic, crappy people, angry people everywhere too... religious nuts to the extreme (and im religious myself and they were just plain crazy)... did i mention the traffic???

Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 PM

435 posts, read 1,814,800 times
I had the pleasure to live for 2 lovely years in Terre Haute, IN.
That has got to be the worst place ever. I was depressed for those 2yrs. Ugh.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,596,781 times
Instead of Crummiest Freaking town in America, I want to add a whole REGION - namely The ENTIRE Lower Mississippi River Valley between Memphis and Natchez, Miss. This is the location of the Infamous Mississippi Delta region (along with the likewise named Arkansas Delta and Louisiana Delta). I can't even begin to list all the statistics related to poverty, illegitimacy, poor education, and so forth - so I'll just say this: I perfectly admire one scholar's description of the region as "a rural ghetto" - all the problems associated with the poor inner city copied-and-pasted to the middle of nowhere. No, worse than that! The URBAN poor have incredible opportunities compared the Delta's poor.

Job Opportunities in the Delta - Guess?

Schools - most public schools are are the statistical bottom of the barrel. Even the private schools here are average at best.

Race Relations - about what you'd expect for this part of the country. Calling this region "The South Africa of America" would not be far off the mark.

Homophobia - let's just say that you shouldn't expect a PFLAG chapter anywhere around here any time soon

In short, it's obvious that any referecne to progressive ANYTHING is looked at with skepticism, suspicion, or contempt. If you have any values or attitudes that stray even slightly into the liberal end - this is NOT the place to be. The only way to find even slight relief from this oppressive mentality is to drive to the older middle class neighborhoods of Jackson, MS; Little Rock; or Memphis (even these aren't exactly known as progressive cities, but at least they have small islets of openness where you can find progressive-minded people).

Conclusion: The paper statistics are bad enough but my experience tells me that the Lower Mississippi Valley between Natchez and Memphis (a.k.a. "The Delta") is xenophobic, racist, homophibic, and antiprogressive; not to mention closed-minded and open-mouthed. Sorry, that's just my opinion as someone who lived in the Louisiana Delta in my youth.

Old 04-12-2007, 10:43 AM

793 posts, read 3,121,663 times
1. I can attest to Terrehaute, IN....just morbid for an area that doesn't appear to be desolute at first glance.
2. Any where in New Mexico beyond Santa Fe, Albequerque region
3. Four corners region (NM, Zona, Utah, Colorado)....people if you really need the feel need to stand in 4 states at once, bring a dependable vehicle w/ lots of company, lots of fuela t hand, and get out fast!
4. Groton, CT...unless your stationed at the Sub base, stay far away!
5. Somersworth, NH...any where there is a Super-Walmart in New England/NY of all regions, beware of the local residents' appearance. Like Groton, some very vile human beings as well.
6. Claremont, NH...sad on one hand the lack of economic viability
7. Anywhere in northern Maine between October and June.
8. Any big town or city in central and western upstate NY
9. Westchester County, NY....the anthithesis to trailer park central....that doesn't mean it is a good thing...most boring place on earth for a region with over 5 million people. Can we also say, "pretentious"?
10. Trenton, NJ (most urban places in NJ, though I admit, alot of the state gets a bad rap-some beuatiful regions as well)
11. Any where in NY city outisde of Manhattan (don't let the natives who have lived no where else, nor the mainstream media fool you otherwise)

-and of course any obvious slum- worst I've seen are S. side Chicago, East St. Louis, much of Baltimore and New Orleans, College Park and Langley Park district of DC

Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 PM

656 posts, read 2,314,915 times
Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
9. Westchester County, NY....the anthithesis to trailer park central....that doesn't mean it is a good thing...most boring place on earth for a region with over 5 million people. Can we also say, "pretentious"?
I have a friend in Westchester and he's trying to get out. He says it's just way too expensive to live there anymore.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:20 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
richmond, va.

miserable hateful racial little town!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:00 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,905,724 times
Philadelphia Pa for sure, is a crummy nasty place. the history around the city and suburbs are wonderful but the people and the city are a sad excuse for a city. and segregated, on my gosh, in 2007 in the northeast usa go figure, where is that blue state open mindedness

Old 04-12-2007, 11:53 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Philadelphia Pa for sure, is a crummy nasty place. the history around the city and suburbs are wonderful but the people and the city are a sad excuse for a city. and segregated, on my gosh, in 2007 in the northeast usa go figure, where is that blue state open mindedness
Yea...there is no segregation in red state America.

There are places in the redneck south that still have segregated proms, whites have their prom, blacks have theirs. You must be so proud.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:44 AM

332 posts, read 1,625,168 times
Wow, Magpies, you really started something here!

Just some random comments:

I guess I am happy to say that I have never lived in ANY of these places (except for New York, which clearly doesn't belong).

Funniest thing about this thread was finding posts from KimmieK bashing Kentucky and and ScrantonWilkesBarre posting photos of craphole Pittston -- go to their home forums and everything is sugar and spice and KY and PA are paradise!

Somebody challenged people to say bad things about Hawaii --
OK, how about:
Unaffordable
Isolated
Crappy schools
Racism
Poverty

San Antonio no way belongs on this list. If it wasn't so damn hot, I'd actually consider living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.