Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 09:40 PM

119 posts, read 835,097 times

Advertisements

Kenosha, Wisconsin. Also known as Ke -- nowhere!! Armpit of the United States. People get trapped there and never get out. Bar on every street corner. All everybody does is go to the bar and drink beer here. Lots of drugs. Cold, gray, depressing winters.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:17 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,931 times
Default Omaha good for corperate elite, crummy for average joe

I almost feel ashamed about forgetting this Omaha is crummy town thats only reason it has a city government is for the very small rich corperate elite. Omaha is one city that doesnt have an idea of what quality of life issues are.

Omaha is about nothing more then empowering and pandering to a very, very wealthy elite with their regressive sky-high tax rates

Another thing is Omaha's housing stock the prices might be very low but much of the town old century old wooden framed shacks on hills that need to be totally re-habbed to be liveable. I wouldnt want to be the mailman in Omaha alot of the houses you have to walk up 50 steps to get to the house from the street.

Omaha and its small town Council Bluffs less a combined population of less then 500,000 people had 6 or 7 homicides in January and it was a very cold month lots of sub-zero days but that doesnt stop the crime in Omaha.

I remember one time in North Omaha I was walking down North 30th and all the sudden I heard at least a dozen gunshots from a few blocks away, the police who were going to the scene were driving slow and had no sirens on. I couldnt believe it, its so sad how used to violence parts of Omaha are.

Also just last week some guys tied up a store owner and burned his business down and zero outrage in the community. Of course he was an immigrant and an Omaha a poor person or an immigrat who owns a small-business doesnt have as much value because they are not part of the Omaha corperate elite.

Omaha has a modest farmers market, but judging by the street traffic it seems like the Jones Street open-air drug market does much better.

Another wonderful aspect on Omaha is that people love having lots of babies, many neighborhoods tax bases are decreasing big time every year and they have to put a good billion dollars or more into sewers and also have a pension crisis. Which means Omaha's legendary 2,170 tax per 100,000 home value will go up much more in the next several years.

Omaha has some nice areas unlike some of the places mentioned, so its not crummiest but its getting crummier by the month and has alot of very crummy neighborhoods!

Last edited by MattDen; 02-24-2007 at 04:29 AM..

Old 02-24-2007, 06:44 PM

620 posts, read 1,746,883 times
Blanding, UT. BEautiful surroundings but the city is turd.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:51 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,587 times
Just had to insert my two cents worth into this great thread! As far as I'm concerned Las Vegas tops the list... truly an armpit! A toilet waiting to be flushed! Smelly, dirty, gray, hot as can be... 115-125 in the Summer! Wind always blowing. I lasted less than nine months. All these huge resorts building canals, oceans, lakes, rivers, fountains, etc and I was on water rationing! Could barely keep my lawn green while on the strip there was a pirate ship or two, floating on thousands of gallons of water!

Second choice: Phoenix! Lasted a year in nearby Prescott, fortunately a mile high outside, making it cooler to live. But where could one go except to Phoenix??? Holy yucks, Batman! After this it was back to southern California and for five years I would awaken in the morning, look at a yellow sky and just know that was the best it would get all day!

Now I'm in Georgia, Athens to be exact and like it quite a bit. I don't LOVE it but I do like it.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,593 times
Toledo-When I first seen it I was thinking wow this place is in the middle of corn fiels and TOTALLY flat land. The land is so flat it messes with your mind. Then the city istelf looked like it was laid out terrible. It was average in everything I seen. To top it off with the small high rises downtown there is a big grain silo or something mixed in.

Cleveland-Trashy. They dont bother to pick up garbage or landscape. Its the coldest part of Ohio and they can never agree on ANYTHING up there. Very polluted. The nuclear plant is thei third most polluting nuclear facility in the US. So much that lawyers stepped in and made them clean it up becasue it was literally falling apart. Its a wonder any fish survive in rivers that catch on fire there at all.

Southeast Ohio-I have never even met someone from this place. The times I have been driving through southern Ohio had a very uneasy strange feeling I was not comfortable with. It was like being in some paranormal world. It can be beautiful nature wise and in the summers or snowy winters, but when its overcast you wont even feel like you're in the United States. You might think you're in a third world country or a nightmare. CREEPY.

Miami-This palce has to be one of the best and worst cities. Tons of people dotn even speak English and hate everyone else but their own. Drugs dealers will come up to you almost anywhere in the city. Then you got rich folks blazing around in lamborghinis with their hair blowing around just looking for a piece of tail. They will yell at your family even if they're underage, stare at you like they want to grope you. Everybody there is a con artist and a half. If thats not enough they have places that cater to all kinds of sick fetishes. The city has nice weather and beautiful scenery but its disgusting. Getting lost on a certain block will get you beaten to death or shot too.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 51,063 times
well the only thing i can say to all of you who live in arm pits is sell everything and come up north to canada. Skyes are blue ( their still are ) people are friendly ( in quebec ) and crimes are not that high of course we had that moron who shot alot of student in a college last summer but unless your in a street gang you wont get shot for nothing and 90 % of the province is considered a safe place to live. I Know some folks who dont even lock their door at night.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 PM

35 posts, read 194,444 times
Gallup New Mexico. The poorest city in the state of New Mexico. a ton of crime. Huge alchohol problem. It is the most liberal city in New Mexico(Bad for me, a conservatice.).

Old 03-01-2007, 08:02 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,623 times
people are friendly (in quebec )
Quebecois are friendly? I grew up around French Canadians and speak okay french. I went to Montreal last summer. When my husband and I went to Montreal last summer, I got some very hostile reactions. People were much kinder to my husband, who speaks only english.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:15 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Ooooh, Memphis! I forgot about that one on my list, I think. What a dump!

Old 03-02-2007, 04:36 PM

101 posts, read 448,619 times
My worst towns&cities:

Imperial, Nebraska
Sterling, Colorado
Lamar, Colorado
Espanola, New Mexico
Gallup, New Mexico
Kayenta, Arizona
Norfolk, Virginia(sorry to my navy friends, but the city's a dump!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.