Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:47 PM

127 posts, read 925,107 times

Advertisements

Zanesville, Ohio is the worst hole in the entire world:
1. Housing is awful and very unattractive
2. There is NO jobs
3. Their river that runs through downtown has, literally, crap floating in it
4. There is nothing to do there other than drink and do drugs
5. Wal-Mart is packed at all hours of the day...And I mean packed
6. The town is made up of close minded rednecks
7. The summers are sticky, the winters are mega gloomy
8. The people just don't seem to care, and throw $hit all over their yards
9. It takes like half an hour to 45 minutes to get across a town with 40,000 people
10. The whole place seems like it hasn't had any maintenance since 1965
Seriously, this town is so bad it has to be seen to be believed...

Old 02-08-2007, 11:09 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
It's one thing to not like aspects of a city. Houston doesn't seem to be that income polarized to me; I've heard Detroit and Flint areas are much worse. Houston has middle class pockets spread throughout the city (i.e. in the Southwest Houston area, the middle class live in homes while the poor live in apartment).

I think Houston is way underrated. I heard all these supposed horrible things about it before I moved here. Lived in Austin previously. What a joke! Most of the bad things turned out to be totally untrue. And I discovered all these great things I had no idea of. So much for listening to other people, why do they (even some locals) portray it so negatively??

Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,075,384 times
I LOVE living in Houston. I get to have world-class cuisine and live in a suburban-style home close to the CBD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
It's one thing to not like aspects of a city. Houston doesn't seem to be that income polarized to me; I've heard Detroit and Flint areas are much worse. Houston has middle class pockets spread throughout the city (i.e. in the Southwest Houston area, the middle class live in homes while the poor live in apartment).

I think Houston is way underrated. I heard all these supposed horrible things about it before I moved here. Lived in Austin previously. What a joke! Most of the bad things turned out to be totally untrue. And I discovered all these great things I had no idea of. So much for listening to other people, why do they (even some locals) portray it so negatively??

Old 02-08-2007, 01:56 PM

130 posts, read 475,394 times
West Boca Raton FL:
1. unless you are jewish and over 65 you are a minority
2. the state bird is the early bird
3. people don't waive to you passing in cars, they flip you off
4. its not a normal day unless you get beeped at at least 30 times on your way home from work
5. unless your jewish and from NY your a minority
6. only state that i know where a man got caught sleeping in his bed with an alligator (and I mean "sleeping")
7. only state that you can move to and be a criminal and hide your money by buying large homes and property.
8. Boca Raton means "mouth of the rat"
can't wait to get to TN and deal with nice, friendly people!
Mary

Old 02-08-2007, 04:36 PM

134 posts, read 438,810 times
I've been to pretty crappy places in my life time: Sumter, SC: Dirty, rude people, crime, just weird. Hard to explain.

Point Marion, PA: Wild West looking place, poor looking, people just staring at you, not a friendly place at all.

Hillsboro, OH: The only memory I have of this place is getting chased in my car from people coming out from the woods as I looking for a hotel. STRANGE, Twilight Zone feeling all across Southern Ohio.

Goodwater, AL: AKA Dumpwater. A total dump of a town. I stopped at a grocery store there once and I was like I got transported to Hee Haw, but in a very bad way.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:55 PM
RNG

31 posts, read 129,994 times
Default markdalton's post

Your post is hysterical. I laughed for five minutes about people chasing you from the woods. This is a great topic.

I am not sure if it's mentioned already, but Camden, NJ is a nightmare.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:10 AM

942 posts, read 2,584,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancocal View Post
(Chicago)

Looked up Bridgeport, those numbers caught me by surprise.
I guessed it,,,born and raised and you are absolutely correct!!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 08:23 PM

72 posts, read 412,282 times
You sound like Dana Carvey doing his impression of "Grumpy Old Man"..."and that's the way we liked it."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Such a nice and beautiful place to be infested by "weirdos"! That is my complaint about Sedona!

An artsy-fartsy new-age town!

Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 AM

47 posts, read 296,102 times
[quote=Spartanacus;230114]My first comment is in regards to the couple of people who mentioned Indy being on this list...you're crazy. Indy and it's surrounding suburbs (at least in Hamilton County) is a great place to visit, live, and raise a family. It's a vastly underrated city mostly known for it's three major auto races...but anyone who ever visits here for one reason or another goes away praising it highly.

If you (the original anti Indy poster) were born and lived in Indy your whole life and you hate it, I suggest you leave for a couple years and then come back, because you either live in one of the few bad areas of the city (Eastside???) or you just don't get out much.

I think we have to keep in mind that for a lot of people, "the grass is always greener on the other side." On the other hand, if a city is at least average, a lot of the born and breds will stand up for it. Obviously some of those people (previously mentioned) are bitter about their life and need to get out more to appreciate what they have (or what they could have if they invested more time and energy into enjoying their hometown).

In response to this, why am I crazy just because I don't feel as you about Indy? My opinion is my opinion and I don't care what you may think about what I say. You are right in one aspect, Indy has a couple of nice areas to live in but this city is just not for me.

As for leaving the city, I am currently in the process of relocating simply because I am not happy here at all. If I do feel that the place I am relocating to is not for me, then yes, I will come back and maybe I will appreciate the city more but it's not for you to criticize me just because you may have had a better experience than I have here. And yes, I did grow up on the Eastside but I currently live in the Lawrence area (near Geist Reservoir) and as I said before, this city is boring to me. And as far as me 'not getting out much', that has nothing to do with how I feel about the city. For the record, I am out and about every single weekend, either with friends or my 2 children and as I have said before and WILL CONTINUE TO SAY, this city is boring! And why would I be bitter about living in a city that bores me? That makes no sense at all and it makes no sense for you to even suggest that I am bitter! I guess everyone who has a problem with his or her hometown are bitter right? Just remember that everyone on this board has his/her own opinion and people like you who accuse us of being 'bitter' is not going to make us change our minds about how we feel. 'Nuff said.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 PM

673 posts, read 4,070,530 times
Lexington and Grand Island Nebraska hasnt been mentioned?

Lexington, Nebraska has a very bad smell, also when I went to a store at 1am in the morning they had hot dogs for the day before sitting there all yucky looking and everything was expensive. The town was just filthy and had some of the worst housing stock I have ever seen before. Seems like the goal of everybody in Lexington, Nebraska is having as many babies as they possibly can also. I am sure sitting in a 1950s trailer with no hot water surrounded by miles of dirt in and smelling the nasty aroma in the air is Lexington, Nebraska people's goal in life.

Grand Island, Nebraska wouldnt be so bad, if not for the locals who have crummy amazingly mean attitude. I went to a restaurant in Grand Island and I couldnt have chicken or steak because the cook was tired. Also in Grand Island I went to a restaurant and was served coffee that looked and tasted like dish-water and then asked for a re-fill because I was tired and waitress looked at me like I was crazy. Ive never seen such unhappy people in my entire life, but then again I am sure after spending 40 or 50 years is a crummy town like Grand Island I would depressed and demoralized. In fact, I was demoralized and depressed after 20 minutes there

Honorable mention would be Cheyenne. They can do alot better then that with the location they have and the proximity to Denver

Last edited by MattDen; 02-22-2007 at 12:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.