Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2021, 10:09 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Actually if you look quite a few core cities regardless of location they under performed their metros, even the ones with healthier growth. It seems more pronounced in the Midwestern cities because they are still declining/stagnant. I think the story of the census is how some long time stagnant metros actually grew. More than anything what is shows is that suburbs are clearly still more desirable than the impression the narrative gives.

There also may be a political component to the poorer performance of the core cities. If you recall, census canvassing was concluded several weeks earlier than planned due to Covid. This canvassing is very important to get accurate counts in those inner city neighborhoods with very low response rates. Given the lower than expected performance in so many cities I do think this is a factor.
Isn't it kind of unfair, though, to directly compare growth of a core city to the rest of the metro area, which is many times larger in most cases? Why not compare a core county to any individual metro county, or core city to any individual suburban city? The narrative would be far different in most cases. And outside of a few Rust Belt places, it's not like every Midwest city declined. Many posted strong growth, especially relative to the perception and narrative that the region isn't attractive to anyone. Chicago added more people when it was expected to decline, Cincinnati grew for the first time in decades, Columbus had its best decade ever, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 10:09 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
https://data.dispatch.com/census/tot...rea/320-12060/

If you type in the city you are looking for and scroll all the way to the bottom you will find the metro listed, select and you will get the data.
Where is MSA listed on that link? I couldnt find it when I searched.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:14 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
When typing in a city in the search bar, for instance Detroit, don't hit enter but scroll to the bottom of the suggested places you will see Detroit-Dearborn Metro area listed. That's what you want to look for to find a metro.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:18 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yeah, that's why I said 2020 is the most accurate census to date. One of the few cities that may have a majority white latino base is Miami, and even there most are claiming two or more races or other category, and come to find out a visible portion of Cuban-Americans are Lebanese/Arab by ancestry.
Yes, that is something that doesn’t get mentioned. Not all people from a Spanish speaking county are technically “Hispanicâ€. This includes black people as well. An example that comes to mind is of NBA player Al Horford, who is from the Dominican Republic. However, his father has family origins in the Bahamas. There are also black residents in that country called Semana Americans, which are descendants of African Americans that live in that area of the country. So, every person that comes from a Spanish speaking nation isn’t necessarily “Hispanicâ€, by ancestry.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:21 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:
Look for the yellow "search" tab... If you're looking for MSA's/CSA's, You'll likely have to type in the primary city first then put the hyphen immediately after to view it in the drop down box. So example "Houston-" will pull "Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX Metro Area", and so on and so forth.

Just thought to myself if you were still working on the demographics data thread, but staying patient. I'm salivating over all this data.

Old 08-20-2021, 10:25 AM

458 posts, read 350,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Total Population 2010 -> 2020

Ionia County 63,905 -> 66,804
Kent County 602,622 -> 657,974
Montcalm County 63,342 -> 66,614
Ottawa County 263,801 -> 296,200
MSA Total 993,670 -> 1,087,592

Your image suggests a total metro area population increase of 313,432. But adding up the four counties as shown results in a gain of 93,922, or 9.5%. Just Kent and Ottawa counties combined had more people in 2010 than what the image suggests for the entire metro.
Ahh I see what you're saying. Yeah the 2010 population in the chart I posted shows the 2003 alignment which had Ottawa County separated which is a significant chunk of the Grand Rapids metro. You're right that is going to really mess with the overall numbers. I apologize I assumed they were 1 for 1. Even with the overlapping racial component it's not going to affect that as much as not including a big county in the metro. One would have to manually add in Ottawa County and remove the other's from the 20 year old alignment to get the real numbers.

This means all of those 2010 figures are based on the 2003 alignments. I wonder if any other metro would be off that much.

Here are the numbers from the GR CSA which includes Ottawa County, and has not deviated much based on county. It may be a more accurate portrayal. Again I apologize for not seeing that gap sooner.

Last edited by Landolakes90; 08-20-2021 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-20-2021, 11:57 AM

509 posts, read 433,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
https://data.dispatch.com/census/tot...rea/320-12060/

If you type in the city you are looking for and scroll all the way to the bottom you will find the metro listed, select and you will get the data.
Finally someone provides an interactive map of population change at the Census Tract level!! Took me a minute to figure out if you look up data at the County-level it shows up. Been looking for a resource like this for days. Much thanks!

Old 08-20-2021, 12:08 PM

8,347 posts, read 5,498,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Look for the yellow "search" tab... If you're looking for MSA's/CSA's, You'll likely have to type in the primary city first then put the hyphen immediately after to view it in the drop down box. So example "Houston-" will pull "Houston-The Woodlands-Sugar Land, TX Metro Area", and so on and so forth.

Just thought to myself if you were still working on the demographics data thread, but staying patient. I'm salivating over all this data.
Found it and you have my promise I will make a 2020 Demographics thread.

However, I cant use this. The problem is that it doesnt separate out non-Hispanic white. In order to do my thread, I need to find the Non-Hispanic white population.

Its a fascinating data link, but I need more detail.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:24 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,144 times
When will Urban Area information be released? I recall there being some kind of redefinition explanation released earlier this year.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:26 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Found it and you have my promise I will make a 2020 Demographics thread.

However, I cant use this. The problem is that it doesnt separate out non-Hispanic white. In order to do my thread, I need to find the Non-Hispanic white population.

Its a fascinating data link, but I need more detail.
it actually does, you just have to scroll down. Still its not enough information for a thread like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.