Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2021, 07:33 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
I think his post was pretty objective to be honest. A 35,000 disparity of Black population in a mostly Black city is a pretty important figure. We all know there were a number of big cities below expected counts, and probably for a multitude of reasons. The other difference is DC is not like every other city because it's counted like a state. It's not like MDAllStar is challenging the Census count, the District will challenge the count for their citizens who already are under-represented nationally.

DC has in fact boomed quite well the only question really is did it grow at 90k like the Census total or 125k over 10 years like the estimates. The reality is probably somewhere in between. The District of Columbia added the 2nd most housing units per square mile in the nation 2010-2020. This will actually ramp up this decade.
DC 2% error wasn’t super out of line from state variance either.

I do think the estimates struggle with non-traditional households. While in SFH dominated Atlanta or Dallas they were pretty spot on, in places like DC, NY, Philly, Seattle they struggled. Where there are far more random roommates and odd combinations of immigrants with high occupancy to young professionals with extra bedrooms. As opposed to Dallas where 1 unit means 3.02 people or something consistently.

The underestimated parts of Buffalo for example were immigrant communities where they likely didn’t realize how many people lived per unit rather than missing units altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 AM

21,637 posts, read 12,785,792 times
The reality is every city on the east coast experienced its black population decline and share of the total population decline. And I wouldn't expect DC not to that seems erroneous now. NYC's population was underestimated, Philly was accurate, so was Baltimore (sorta overestimated), DC and Boston were overestimated. But all saw the black population decline. I don't think that's an accident.

DC was the most drastic but that's not surprising because the gentrification is by far the most obvious and aggressive there of all 5 cities. So I'm not totally surprised by DC's count, I maybe expected 42% black so 41% is nothing. In 2017 it was estimated around 44%. There are black leaders like Andrew Youngblood in all those cities mulling a recount, I can grab the articles now. I was almost expecting DC and Philly to be tied.

There was some degree of black undercount but the Census is standing firm by these numbers and it certainly wasn't isolated to DC if it existed. But in reality, how do we spend a decade talking about gentrification and then be indignant the black population in central cities has declined? THats what man on the street has been saying..Even as we see it boom in places like Charles County. Our group isn't growing much at all, there are only so many black people to go around. If anything the overestimates in DC and Boston are due to student populations, and new immigrants.

Mr. Youngblood is well within his right to make sure all folks are accounted for-my question is does the census ever adjust number after the fact? Is there a precedent for that involving a major city or an entire state?

Old 08-19-2021, 07:52 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Looking at the racial/ethnic breakdown of different cities using the link that ClevelandBrown has provided in post #944, it's obvious that the huge inflation of the population that has marked "two or more races" or "other" also identify as Hispanic/Latino. In a way, it makes sense, as the majority of Latinos in this country could be described as multiracial or other, and it makes 2020 the most accurate census to date as it pertains to race or ethnicity. I can't help but think that part of this shift was driven by the recent popularity of commercialized DNA tests, which allowed tens of millions of people to discover who they truly are regarding ancestral origins. It's alsi because more people are dating intermarrying than ever, and naturally as a result society has become more receptive to the idea of a biracial or multiracial identity. So perhaps the 2020 census reflects a more honest, objective snapshot at the way people view their identity.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-19-2021 at 08:02 AM..

Old 08-19-2021, 08:52 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The reality is every city on the east coast experienced its black population decline and share of the total population decline. And I wouldn't expect DC not to that seems erroneous now. NYC's population was underestimated, Philly was accurate, so was Baltimore (sorta overestimated), DC and Boston were overestimated. But all saw the black population decline. I don't think that's an accident.

DC was the most drastic but that's not surprising because the gentrification is by far the most obvious and aggressive there of all 5 cities. So I'm not totally surprised by DC's count, I maybe expected 42% black so 41% is nothing. In 2017 it was estimated around 44%. There are black leaders like Andrew Youngblood in all those cities mulling a recount, I can grab the articles now. I was almost expecting DC and Philly to be tied.

There was some degree of black undercount but the Census is standing firm by these numbers and it certainly wasn't isolated to DC if it existed. But in reality, how do we spend a decade talking about gentrification and then be indignant the black population in central cities has declined? THats what man on the street has been saying..Even as we see it boom in places like Charles County. Our group isn't growing much at all, there are only so many black people to go around. If anything the overestimates in DC and Boston are due to student populations, and new immigrants.

Mr. Youngblood is well within his right to make sure all folks are accounted for-my question is does the census ever adjust number after the fact? Is there a precedent for that involving a major city or an entire state?
DC’s Black population is rising, not falling. The city is building thousands of tax credit and affordable housing units that are clearly not being counted here. Are you really going to say that Ward 7 in DC didn’t grow from 2010-2020 when there are entire new neighborhoods that didn’t exist prior to 2010? Think about that for a second.

Boston and Philadelphia didn’t come close to the amount of housing built in DC. Are you saying all that housing is sitting empty?

Old 08-19-2021, 09:03 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,765,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Literally every single city complains about their population being too low.

They are wrong a lot. Like they thought Atlanta had 550,000 in 2009, and they still don’t have 550,000.

Boston got overestimated twice in 2010 by 39,000 and in 2020 by 16,000.

If you look at other places it was Broadway Filmore in Buffalo not Allentown that grew the most.

Immigrant heavy communities like Chelsea, Everett, Lynn, Quincy all grew very fast, while urban hip Brookline, Somerville did not.

Points to it being unlikely there was some systemic issue counting minorities or Immigrants.

Nobody challenges when the estimates underestimate their city. Like the estimates were off by 550,000 in NYC.

DC actually had one of the more accurate estimates, you’re just committed to the but DC is some unbelievable boomtown
Nothing the census says disqualifies DC from being a boomtown. It’s still building more units than everywhere but NYC in 61 sq. miles even now. It will continue to boom with cranes all over the city. Can’t speak on what the census says and it only matters for Federal funding anyway. Boots on the ground show extreme population increases especially in places that didn’t have housing prior. That’s where the housing is being built.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:06 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
A related and very interesting article...

Behind the Surprising Jump in Multiracial Americans, Several Theories: https://news.yahoo.com/behind-surpri...141438370.html

I think this part of the article is key: “That’s not a change in social reality; that’s a change in the way social reality is being categorized,” he said. “In the long run, we will probably be able to say more precisely to what extent is there a real change and to what extent is this a coding change.”

Old 08-19-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
DC’s Black population is rising, not falling. The city is building thousands of tax credit and affordable housing units that are clearly not being counted here. Are you really going to say that Ward 7 in DC didn’t grow from 2010-2020 when there are entire new neighborhoods that didn’t exist prior to 2010? Think about that for a second.

Boston and Philadelphia didn’t come close to the amount of housing built in DC. Are you saying all that housing is sitting empty?
I don't mean to be insensitive but that this is your opinion, not fact. Unfortunately, the facts say otherwise. as does man on the street....

A lot of new housing was built in all those cities mentioned (except Baltimore). The difference is in DC it's being filled more so by white people. And I think that's for several reasons, not the least of which DC is in the South and that's a trend in the South. This was a point a few people were making on some other thread a while ago. You had said it's going to be mostly black people filling those apartments. There was doubt cast around that by a few people. Mighta been some DMV vs ATL-oriented thread.

My question are:
  • What was the population increase for Wards 7/8?
  • How do the racial demographic changes break down by Ward?
  • How many housing units is the census showing for DC?
  • What is the vacancy rate for DC circa April 1, 2020?
  • Why would the undercount be particularly astute in DC as opposed to anywhere else? Btownboss says it's in line with the nation's undercount.
  • Do you really think they missed 35,000 black people? 5% of the city and more than 1 out of every 10 potential black residents? That's too big an undercount IMO

As for entire new neighborhoods and no growth no that doesn't make sense. But I also don't feel like more black people moved into DC-just anecdotally. The black population growth was in MoCo NoVa and Charles County which, anecdotally, lines up with what I've seen.

Im not saying much definitively, but I do have questions.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 08-19-2021 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-19-2021, 09:26 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post

Looking at Public school Enrollment

DC: 689,000 people/92,000 students

Philly 1,605,000 people/ 203,000 students

Baltimore 585,000 people/ 73,000 students

Buffalo: 278,000 people/ 32,000 students

Milwaukee 577,000 people/ 77,000 students

Boston: 676,000 people / 54,000 students

Seems pretty inline.

If anything Milwaukee seems undercounted.

Boston is a low outlier but it has always had a strong Catholic school system
And an actual permanent population closer to 550,000.

Old 08-19-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Looking at Public school Enrollment

DC: 689,000 people/92,000 students

Philly 1,605,000 people/ 203,000 students

Baltimore 585,000 people/ 73,000 students

Buffalo: 278,000 people/ 32,000 students

Milwaukee 577,000 people/ 77,000 students

Boston: 676,000 people / 54,000 students

Seems pretty inline.

If anything Milwaukee seems undercounted.

Boston is a low outlier but it has always had a strong Catholic school system
And an actual permanent population closer to 550,000.
Also, Boston charter schools arent a part of the BPS district, they're their own districts. And there are probably more private day schools in Boston than anywhere on that list including DC and Philly. Still, there are only 78,000 children in the city of Boston in part due to the smaller actual permanent population like you noted.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,068,190 times
I believe the Midwest (outside of Chicago) lags the rest of the country in the Hispanic or Latino demographic. I was curious where they were at on the metric. Here are Midwestern metros over 500k population ranked by raw numbers, and also percentages.

Source:
https://data.dispatch.com/census/tot...rea/320-49660/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.