Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2021, 05:41 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

This is where I live and I dont really notice this change tbh...

Anythow, at 32%, Alameda, CA(Oakland) became the 2nd county on the US Mainland after neighboring Santa Clara(San Jose), CA to have an Asian plurality. Honolulu, HI is the only other county to have an Asian plurality.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...0-figure-2.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2021, 07:08 AM

1,044 posts, read 687,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Na, it was more like 20% of Hispanics this go-round. That numbers dropped like a rock. The vast majority of Hispanics are identifying as multiracial in 2020. They covered this in the live release in detail.

Even including Latinos the nation is only 61.6% white. That means white including Latino is probably done as a majority by 2045, 2050 at the latest. White non-Latino? It's looking more like 2035.
Where are you getting these numbers?

Directly taken from the census:

White, non Hispanic: 60%
White, including Hispanics: 76%

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/IPE120219

Old 08-18-2021, 07:27 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,812,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
No i meant making the buildings flood proof. Raising them a foot or two

Either way the incentive to build to the south does not yet outweigh the extra cost of building in the flood plain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Their might be exceptions, but that’s one of the reasons Houston floods, because certain regions were built in floodplains, and due to changing weather and newly displaced water new regions became susceptible to flooding.
Not quite. The western burbs in Houston are actually the higher spots in the area.
If you look at elevation maps you could probably draw a perfect line going from Katy to Cypress to the Woodlands and then to Conroe that are all higher than the south east part of the metro. Downtown to the ship channel are the lower parts.

The problem isn't that the Westside is in a flood plain. The problem is that the west side was previously prairie
The deep roots of prairie grasses help in absorbing water into the ground. When it rains instead of the prairie acting like a sponge the water just flows along the surface. When the water gets to bottle necks it floods neighborhoods.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:28 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Anyone kind of surprised how poorly a lot of midwestern cities did after the urban renaissance narrative of the decade?

Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Even Southern cities like Dallas well underperformed their metro areas.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:41 AM

2,545 posts, read 2,868,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is where I live and I dont really notice this change tbh...

Anythow, at 32%, Alameda, CA(Oakland) became the 2nd county on the US Mainland after neighboring Santa Clara(San Jose), CA to have an Asian plurality. Honolulu, HI is the only other county to have an Asian plurality.

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...0-figure-2.jpg
Queens County, NY nearly earned this distinction.

Hispanics had the largest plurality with 27.8% and Asians narrowly trailed with 27.5%.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:50 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,068,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Anyone kind of surprised how poorly a lot of midwestern cities did after the urban renaissance narrative of the decade?

Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Even Southern cities like Dallas well underperformed their metro areas.
Actually if you look quite a few core cities regardless of location they under performed their metros, even the ones with healthier growth. It seems more pronounced in the Midwestern cities because they are still declining/stagnant. I think the story of the census is how some long time stagnant metros actually grew. More than anything what is shows is that suburbs are clearly still more desirable than the impression the narrative gives.

There also may be a political component to the poorer performance of the core cities. If you recall, census canvassing was concluded several weeks earlier than planned due to Covid. This canvassing is very important to get accurate counts in those inner city neighborhoods with very low response rates. Given the lower than expected performance in so many cities I do think this is a factor.

Old 08-18-2021, 07:58 AM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Actually if you look quite a few core cities regardless of location they under performed their metros, even the ones with healthier growth. It seems more pronounced in the Midwestern cities because they are still declining/stagnant. I think the story of the census is how some long time stagnant metros actually grew. More than anything what is shows is that suburbs are clearly still more desirable than the impression the narrative gives.

There also may be a political component to the poorer performance of the core cities. If you recall, census canvassing was concluded several weeks earlier than planned due to Covid. This canvassing is very important to get accurate counts in those inner city neighborhoods with very low response rates. Given the lower than expected performance in so many cities I do think this is a factor.
The poorest most immigrant heavy places in the country like Lynn, Chelsea and Central Falls has blockbuster growth so I don’t know if I buy the undercount story. And the fastest growing areas of Buffalo was Broadway-Filmore, not the urban-hip Allentown.

But I think the main difference between like Tampa or Dallas and Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Milwaukee is the latter market themselves as cheap, urban alternatives to Boston, DC or Chicago. While Tampa doesn’t even pretend to be selling some sort of chic urban experience.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:11 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyExpert View Post
Queens County, NY nearly earned this distinction.

Hispanics had the largest plurality with 27.8% and Asians narrowly trailed with 27.5%.
Yeah, the country sure is evolving and changing. It's interesting to witness.

Old 08-18-2021, 08:21 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
While Tampa doesn’t even pretend to be selling some sort of chic urban experience.
Does it not? I thought St. Petersburg at least had that kind of branding?

Old 08-18-2021, 08:48 AM

509 posts, read 433,825 times
Anybody know if any interactive maps of Census Tract level population change has been released yet?

I put together my own map for my city here https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...81e78fe7_b.jpg and it seems Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site has compiled Census Tract level changes for metros over 500k at the bottom of the page (like this example for DFW Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site , but can't find anything for the entire country.

I know NYT came out with an interactive map of change at the Tract level soon after the 2010 Census release so guess it is only a matter of time. The official interactive 2020 Census map only shows County level percent change and Census Tract density, but not change unfortunately. In ogther news, great to see that my downtown neighborhood added almost 500 people and grew by 126%

Last edited by Yac; 08-24-2021 at 11:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.