Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2021, 12:30 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times

Advertisements

Better built core is subjective.
More cohesive... yes I already addressed that in my last post.
If Houston was able to pull off the trench and cap it would be no contest as Houston would be able to join neighborhoods on the east, west and South while Dallas has the huge flood plain to contend with.

Houston has no more suburban shopping centers than DFW. They are both highly designed around cars apart from a few select areas.

Tidy?...Houston lacks zoning, but the most urban cities I have visited are disorganized. London is a great example. Very haphazard.

Last edited by atadytic19; 08-24-2021 at 01:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 12:36 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I disagree with your last statement in part. I think LA is dense to grow so fast without water solutions. Or did you mean different kind of dense? Sorry couldn't resist. I think LA and Phx and Denver and perhaps SF are like LA this way so its not unique from some cities but is like several sunbelt cities mentioned.
I meant just straight up density. It is often compared to Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte but looking at these stats, it's not.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganderTexan View Post
I don't think anyone has said DFW is more urban, I think DFW may have more walkable areas than Houston though.
Like was stated earlier, I think it's the core of Dallas that gives off this feel. It's more organized than anything compared to Houston. It seems though the density just comes in waves in Dallas though and doesn't really pick back up to what it was near the core whereas in Houston, it looks a bit more consistent.

Old 08-24-2021, 01:04 PM

706 posts, read 445,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas does have a better built core in a cohesive, walkable layout. Houston has a lot more suburban type shopping centers and restaurants scattered throughout. Dallas is also more tidy and organized.
I agree with this having live in Dallas for a couple years and spending a lot of time in Houston.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:12 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Better built core is subjective.
More cohesive... yes I already addressed that in my last post.
If Houston was able to pull off the trench and cap it would be no contest as Houston would be able to join neighborhoods on the east, west and South while Dallas has the huge flood plain to contend with.

Houston has no more suburban shopping centers than DFW. They are both highly designed around cars apart from a few select areas.

Tidy?...Houston lacks zoning, but the most urban cities I have visited are disorganized. London is a great example. Very haphazard.
1) Yes, subjective, but evident.
2) South and West of the Trinity will only be connected by future park space. I’ll take what we have over Houston’s flooding.
3) I wasn’t comparing DFW to Houston in regard to suburban shopping centers and restaurants, I was comparing Central Dallas to Inner Loop Houston and yes, Houston had a lot more and more random stuff.
4) London is a very urban city, Houston is like just random. Dallas is a more tidy city. It just makes more sense how the neighborhoods flow.

Old 08-24-2021, 05:29 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Idk, for an what you say and for how big it is Dallas is posting some really paltry numbers.

You would think that it would have at least more people in 10k plus tracts than Vegas

Old 08-24-2021, 06:32 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Baltimore is so much lower compared to other cities in the BosWash corridor.
It’s not that Baltimore is necessarily “small”… it’s more so Philly, DC & Boston are all just massive cities relative to it, let alone NYC.

Old 08-24-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
It’s not that Baltimore is necessarily “small”… it’s more so Philly, DC & Boston are all just massive cities relative to it, let alone NYC.
Without seeing that list, I would have guessed Baltimore to have more than Las Vegas and Houston. Or at least be up there with Seattle because obviously, outside of Baltimore City, the suburbs of the Mid Atlantic do get very spread out. But I do get the logic of what you're saying. Baltimore MSA is only 2.7 million while the others are at least over 5 million ( I think Boston MSA is 5 million).

Old 08-24-2021, 08:06 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Without seeing that list, I would have guessed Baltimore to have more than Las Vegas and Houston. Or at least be up there with Seattle because obviously, outside of Baltimore City, the suburbs of the Mid Atlantic do get very spread out. But I do get the logic of what you're saying. Baltimore MSA is only 2.7 million while the others are at least over 5 million ( I think Boston MSA is 5 million).
Baltimore’s MSA is a shade under 2.9 million as of 2021 so it is slowly growing. But what Baltimore excels in, has always been its inner most historic 20-30 sq. miles. Once you get outside of that “ring” density starts to drop off quickly. Despite Annapolis, Columbia & Towson being in its metro none are dense enough for 10,000ppm tracts which also hurts it in this regard.

Last edited by Joakim3; 08-24-2021 at 08:25 PM..

Old 08-25-2021, 07:34 AM

8,498 posts, read 4,561,677 times
While most urban areas, including core cities and their suburbs, saw population growth over the last decade, the opposite was true for much of rural America. Alexander county in Illinois was a prime example. This rural county, already with a low population of 8,238 in 2010, lost 36% of its residents. This was the largest decline by percentage of the 3,138 counties in the US. Alexander County now has just 5,240 per the 2020 census results.

This Illinois County Is Losing People Faster Than Anywhere in the U.S.
Alexander County, home to Cairo, dropped more than a third of its population in past decade, as big U.S. counties grew and small ones shrank
https://www.wsj.com/articles/this-il...=hp_lead_pos10

Last edited by MMS02760; 08-25-2021 at 07:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.