Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state would you rather live in?
MI - Michigan 98 47.12%
IL - Illinois 110 52.88%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:18 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
MICHIGAN.

Beyond Chicagoland, IL is just plain boring. And "Blago" tainted Springfield, its capital.

Michigan has:
- a great university in U of M (one of the 3 best publics in America, along with UC Berkeley and Univ of Va.)
- nice suburbs in Detroit, that feel nothing like Detroit
- surrounded by water
- recreational areas in the Upper Peninsula are breathtaking
Well, Chicagoland is in Illinois, so you can't just remove it, and it has great universities (Northwestern, University of Chicago--pretty universally considered better than the University of Michigan), beautiful suburbs, a lovely lakefront. The University of Illinois is also pretty highly regarded. Certainly you have to look more for the beauty in Illinois, whereas it's more obvious in Michigan, and the UP is beautiful ... but there are no cities or large agglomerations of people in the UP, so as far as having a job there, it's not all that feasible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 12:22 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Not trying to "strong-arm" an answer out of you at all. You made the claim that Southern IL was just like the UP of Michigan, my travels tell me otherwise so I ask where it is the same. That isn't strong-arming anyone, that is asking you politely to back up your claims.

Simple reason is that you made a ridiculous statement that you and everyone else knows is false and you are not honest enough to admit it. Instead you toss out strawman arguments and accusations to try and draw the attention of your lies away from you. Prove those asking wrong, and simply post up a location. Simple. Either you are telling the truth and you can prove it, or you got caught in a lie; Not posting a location is proof of your lies. Asking for an answer isn't being a "Booster" that is asking for an answer.
You did not ask politely and don't even try to pull it off as such.

How can an opinion be a false claim? No, being a booster is throwing out "Michigan" as an answer for every question and then getting upset when someone doesn't agree.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:45 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
How come every time im in Michigan, practically every other car on the road is from Illinois?

Old 08-30-2012, 02:49 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
You did not ask politely and don't even try to pull it off as such.

How can an opinion be a false claim? No, being a booster is throwing out "Michigan" as an answer for every question and then getting upset when someone doesn't agree.
Michigan is NOT my answer for every question. You are not presenting your posts as "opinion" but as fact. The "Booster" here is you for Illinois, not the rest of us for Michigan.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:52 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,847,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
How come every time im in Michigan, practically every other car on the road is from Illinois?
Because their State sucks for vacations and they have NOTHING like our lakes anywhere in their entire State. Sure they border Lake Michigan for a tiny crowded urban section, but there are no wide open remote beaches where a person can enjoy a day at the beach without having to share the experience with 1000 others in the same small area. That is why both MI and WI are packed with IL plates every week-end during the Summer.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:32 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,582 times
Quote:
Because their State sucks
Quote:
Michigan is NOT my answer for every question. You are not presenting your posts as "opinion" but as fact. The "Booster" here is you for Illinois, not the rest of us for Michigan.
If that's what you want to believe then okay.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,400,914 times
Quote:
Because their State sucks for vacations and they have NOTHING like our lakes anywhere in their entire State. Sure they border Lake Michigan for a tiny crowded urban section, but there are no wide open remote beaches where a person can enjoy a day at the beach without having to share the experience with 1000 others in the same small area. That is why both MI and WI are packed with IL plates every week-end during the Summer.
I have personally walked the 7 minutes down my street to the beach in the middle of July and shared the portion of it with maybe 3 or 4 other families.

Of course there are going to be IL plates in the area...it's the most populous state in the Midwest, and MI and WI are nearby. The ~ 8 hr drive to the Shawnee is pretty long. Although we make the drive to Galena frequently, and take the train to Springfield or St. Louis.

If you want to believe every person in the state of Illinois is just clambering to invade Michigan beaches every free second of the summer, then fine. I personally wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, given how much money is likely spent in MI and WI from IL...

Old 08-30-2012, 03:47 PM

1,773 posts, read 2,674,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Quote:
Call me crazy, but this is kind of really funny how you guys can't see the forest through the trees... The thread is about where to live right? And you mention IL plates in WI and MI right? Well, if they have IL plates... obviously they decided to live in IL... which is the question proposed... aka, not where do you vacation...

Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
So well kept I take it that you don't know where it is either, so you cannot enlighten those who are asking? Where in Southern IL (on ANY where in IL) is like the places I asked about? Simple question, why are you avoiding actually answering it?
Shawnee National Forest anyone?

Old 08-30-2012, 09:08 PM

198 posts, read 444,584 times
Chicago beats Detroit, but outstate Michigan beats outstate Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.