Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state would you rather live in?
MI - Michigan 98 47.12%
IL - Illinois 110 52.88%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,415,668 times

Advertisements

Illinois wins my vote. I like the country/scenery better in IL. If I had to choose a city in IL I would live in East Moline.

Last edited by metro223; 02-13-2008 at 01:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 01:07 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,686,789 times
Not a fan of Michigan and I love Chicago so I vote Illinois all the way. The greatness of Chicago obviously carries this vote. Take away Chi Town then I'd consider Michigan.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:07 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
Michigan for me. No other state has the Great Lakes.

The Great Lakes

Great Lakes
Facts and Figures

VOLUME
6 quadrillion gallons of fresh water; one-fifth of the world's fresh surface water (only the polar ice caps and Lake Baikal in Siberia contain more); 95 percent of the U.S. supply. Spread evenly across the continental U.S., the Great Lakes would submerge the country under about 9.5 feet of water.

TOTAL AREA
More than 94,000 square miles/244,000 square kilometres of water (larger than the states of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire combined, or about 23 percent of the province of Ontario). About 295,000 square miles/767,000 square kilometres in the watershed (the area where all the rivers and streams drain into the lakes).

TOTAL COASTLINE
United States and Canada -- 10,900 mi/17,549 km (including connecting channels, mainland and islands). The Great Lakes shoreline is equal to almost 44 percent of the circumference of the earth, and Michigan's Great Lakes coast totals 3,288 mi/5,294 km, more coastline than any state but Alaska.

Some Physical Features of the Great Lakes

Great Lakes Fact Sheet

Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Michigan for me. No other state has the Great Lakes
What the?!

I suppose OH, IN, IL, WI, and MN dont have Great Lakes access?

Old 12-12-2009, 08:53 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I know downstaters will think me a pretentious city snob for saying this, but I don't care: the only thing that keeps me in Illinois is Chicago. Michigan is a vastly more attractive place. Too bad its economy has gone to hell and keeps getting worse.

It wouldn't take but a bit of border shifting to put Chicago in either Wisconsin or Michigan, and either would be just fine by me (except I fear Michigan politics would act as a massive drain on Chicago's wealth and economy...)
I agree 100%. If this were Chicago vs Detroit, I'd have to go Chicago all the way. However, since we're comparing the whole states of Illinois and Michigan to one another, I have to go with Michigan. More beautiful scenery. More outdoor recreational opportunities. More small-medium sized metros like Grand Rapids, Muskegon, Lansing, Kalamazoo, Sault Ste Marie, etc. Just a better overall experience. Same reasons I picked Wisconsin over Minnesota in a similar poll.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:55 AM

2,943 posts, read 5,073,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What the?!

I suppose OH, IN, IL, WI, and MN dont have Great Lakes access?
Don't forget NY, PA, and ON too.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM

209 posts, read 657,807 times
Michigan hands down... been to a lot of places in Illinois and it isn't all that interesting compared to Michigan.

Yes Illinois has Chicago which is by far better than Detroit, and JOBS, but other than that Michigan owns.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:44 PM

20 posts, read 76,854 times
If I had to chose city living.. Chicago > Detroit. If I had to chose small towns, easily Michigan. Michigan has some of the coolest scenery and small towns in the nation. Most of Illinois outside of Chicago is depressing.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,799,394 times
There is much better scenery in Michigan, and alot less people. This one is a no brainer, the reason half of Illinois vacations in Michigan ( and Wisconsin ) is the fact that both those states are much nicer. Yea Michigan is saddled with that urban sewer Detoilet, but hands down the state of michigan is much nicer. Now if you were to compare Michigan to Wisconsin youd have a more equal match. Both midwest states are very similar in scenery and culture. That would be a tough one to pick.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
There is much better scenery in Michigan, and alot less people. This one is a no brainer, the reason half of Illinois vacations in Michigan ( and Wisconsin ) is the fact that both those states are much nicer. Yea Michigan is saddled with that urban sewer Detoilet, but hands down the state of michigan is much nicer. Now if you were to compare Michigan to Wisconsin youd have a more equal match. Both midwest states are very similar in scenery and culture. That would be a tough one to pick.
Your right I have family that's from Chicago and when they travel out of state every year it's to upper Michigan. They own a cabin on a lake.

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.