Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state would you rather live in?
MI - Michigan 98 47.12%
IL - Illinois 110 52.88%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 03:46 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,071,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
We're quick enough to know that the 10 million (really 9.7 million) figure you are siting for the population of the Chicago area INCLUDES parts of Indiana and Wisconsin in that number and is NOT a true indication of the percentage of the population of Illinois that live in the Chicago Metro area. Try again.
How big of a difference do you think that really makes? Sorry, 9 million instead of 10 million. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 PM

5 posts, read 15,825 times
Both are stuck here in the cold & gray midwest. Illinois is flat as a pancake and Michigan has a poor economy (but who doesnt right now?)

I give Michigan the edge as a state just for its natural beauty which is more than Illinois. Illinois is effed up politically and its only real saving grace is my favorite city Chicago which may as well be part of Wisconsin or Indiana anyway.

Last edited by 3rd City; 12-14-2009 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-14-2009, 04:35 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
Illinois easily, but I would only live in or near Chicago, which I prefer 100x more than Detroit. Plus, Michigan is easily the most economically depressed state and the depression really had it's way with it.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:12 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally two Toes View Post
Illinois has its pretty spots like Starved Rock and so forth, but Michigan is vastly more beautiful than Illinois.
MI has many areas that look identical to IL and IL has areas that look identical to MI. Most of MI is like IL, except more forested. Its not until you get to the U.P. and far Western edge of MI that its offers different scenery than most of IL, and thats mostly because of the dunes. In fact, the U.P. reminds me of southern IL in a way... lots of hills, rock outcroppings, sandstone canyons, heavily forested, etc. Just much colder!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:19 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,409,881 times
The U.P. reminds me much more of Alaska than southern Illinois: Black spruce, tons of snow, aurora borealis, bears, moose, wolves, dog sledding, mountains, sparse population. I'd move there in a second if I could find a job (like that's going to happen).

Old 12-14-2009, 09:31 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
MI has many areas that look identical to IL and IL has areas that look identical to MI. Most of MI is like IL, except more forested. Its not until you get to the U.P. and far Western edge of MI that its offers different scenery than most of IL, and thats mostly because of the dunes. In fact, the U.P. reminds me of southern IL in a way... lots of hills, rock outcroppings, sandstone canyons, heavily forested, etc. Just much colder!
Michigan also has a lot more "coastal" areas which generally have a really different feel than areas inland. MI also has a lot more riverfront. Basically all that water makes Michigan substantially different.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
10-13 million that's hard to believe. LA is bigger and more crowded than Chicago and the population is appox, 3-5 million. that's not counting the illegal immigrants.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are wrong. Chicago has 2.8 million in the city, and 10-million in its metro area that lies in 3 states: Illinois, Indiana and far far far southeast Wisconsin.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Michigan also has a lot more "coastal" areas which generally have a really different feel than areas inland. MI also has a lot more riverfront. Basically all that water makes Michigan substantially different.
and light houses.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,424,518 times
The statistics i gave was for the city of LA, and not the metro, with Pasedena, Burbank ,Woodland Hills, Hollywood, Malibu, N,Hollywood. ect.

but that's fine:
I stand corrected.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:40 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,398,943 times
While Michigan as a state is prettier than Illinois, Illinois isn't an ugly-looking state (areas along the river, in the north, and the south are all very pretty). Coupled with the fact that IL has a better economy, more jobs, more people, and it has Chicago (as well as a bunch of other smaller metros), I'd pick IL hands down. While Michigan may be pretty, you've got to be able to live in the state...so having a job is key. Plus, there's something about driving through those vast open spaces in central IL that is kind of nice...

Either way, both are better than Ohio (kidding, kidding!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.