Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What state would you rather live in?
MI - Michigan 98 47.12%
IL - Illinois 110 52.88%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:27 AM

1,107 posts, read 3,071,062 times

Advertisements

I'm surprise no one mention Michigan bordering a Foreign country with many access points to it as well being 4 hours away from Toronto if living in the Detroit area.

Id still pick Illinois though because it has more job opportunities and has a big city environment (Chicago.) Plus there's a crap load of Michigan people living in Chicago, so it be like I never left Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:07 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I'm surprise no one mention Michigan bordering a Foreign country with many access points to it as well being 4 hours away from Toronto if living in the Detroit area.

Id still pick Illinois though because it has more job opportunities and has a big city environment (Chicago.) Plus there's a crap load of Michigan people living in Chicago, so it be like I never left Michigan.
One of my sisters lives in Chicago.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:33 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,411,972 times
Does Canada really count as a foreign country?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Does Canada really count as a foreign country?
Depends on what area. Does Saskatchewan feel foreign? A little. Quebec? Absolutely.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:45 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
I'm biased so Illinois for me. I admit with Michigan having two peninsulas(upper Michigan and the larger Lower Michigan) makes it a more interesting state. Illinois is more racially and ethnically diverse with having the largest Hispanic, black, and Asian community in the Midwest and has the better major city, Chicago> Detroit.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
We're quick enough to know that the 10 million (really 9.7 million) figure you are siting for the population of the Chicago area INCLUDES parts of Indiana and Wisconsin in that number and is NOT a true indication of the percentage of the population of Illinois that live in the Chicago Metro area. Try again.
8.4 million live in the 6 county region(Cook, Dupage, Lake, Will, Kane, and Mchenry) of Chicagoland. The other 1.3 million is center around NW Indiana and Wisonsin. 65% of Illinois live in 6 counties

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM

5,978 posts, read 13,118,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I'm biased so Illinois for me. I admit with Michigan having two peninsulas(upper Michigan and the larger Lower Michigan) makes it a more interesting state. Illinois is more racially and ethnically diverse with having the largest Hispanic, black, and Asian community in the Midwest and has the better major city, Chicago> Detroit.
As much as Chicago is in far better shape, in every single way in the 21st century, and as much as I absolutely don't blame anyone for picking Chicago over Detroit, it is nonetheless important to point out that as far as ethnic and racial diversity, the two places are not that different.

Mainly because for most of the 20th century Chicago did not have a LARGE advantage over Detroit as an attracive places to move to. From the 1910s to the 1970s (one can even push this to the mid1980s) there wasn't a huge difference between what would attract immigrants.

It is important to point out here that first off, I assume when you are talking about ethnic and racial diversity, I assume you are comparing Southeast Michigan to "Chicagoland." Outside of these respective areas, most of Illinois and Michigan are of course not that diverse.

First off: African_American culture. Obviously no difference there between Chicago and Detroit.

2nd: white European ethnic. For most of the 20th century Chicago and Detroit attracted immigrant from Poland and Italy to work in low-skill manufacturing. Chicago had much more Irish (largely because Chicagos initial growth coincided with the potato famine than Detroit (although Detroit had a significant Irish pop. that went into politics: Cavanaugh: mayor during the 60s, Corktown, etc.).

Other eastern Europeans were attracted equally. (Czechs more in Chicago, Hungarians more in Detroit, Russians later in both). Now in the last 20-30, yes Chicago remains much more of an immigrant destination attracting fresh Polish, although there were Bosnians, Albanians that came to Detroit after communism which also coincided with the 90s when SE. Michigan looking at bit more on the upside. Type in Hammtramch into wikipedia.

Asians: No doubt Chicago has that beat in the city. Although Detroit did have a small Chinatown, but again after the riots that all changed. However in the white-collared Oakland County and Ann Arbor area, Asians are probably pretty similar percentage-wise as you find in Chicagos white-collared suburbs. Also, there is one Asian group you find in the upper (colder) midwest that you really don't come across at all in Chicago. Hmong (Minneapolis_St. Paul and a tiny bit in Detroit).

Hispanics: Well no question there. Metro Detroits hispanic population is quite small and is really only found in SW Detroit in large numbers. Although, Chicago hispanic population is overwhelming Mexican with some Puerto Rican, and a few Cubans and South Americans that have found an entrepreneurial niche. Calfornia and New York-New Jersey has everywhere else beat when it comes to hispanic diversity.

Arabs/Middle-easterners. Obviously Detroit/SE Michigan all the way. the area has the largest Arab population in the U.S.
The only areas where you find a concentration of Arab Americans in Chicago is Bridgeview and Albany Park.

So, yes, Chicagoland has SE Michigan beat in terms of diversity, but its not quite as big of a difference as you might think. And the differences there are, are mostly due to the last 20-30 years. (Those crucial years when Chicago and Detroit really when down very different paths).

Last edited by Tex?Il?; 12-16-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Isn't Michigan just Ohio North? Give me ILL

Old 12-16-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex?Il? View Post
As much as Chicago is in far better shape, in every single way in the 21st century, and as much as I absolutely don't blame anyone for picking Chicago over Detroit, it is nonetheless important to point out that as far as ethnic and racial diversity, the two places are not that different.

Mainly because for most of the 20th century Chicago did not have a LARGE advantage over Detroit as an attracive places to move to. From the 1910s to the 1970s (one can even push this to the mid1980s) there wasn't a huge difference between what would attract immigrants.

It is important to point out here that first off, I assume when you are talking about ethnic and racial diversity, I assume you are comparing Southeast Michigan to "Chicagoland." Outside of these respective areas, most of Illinois and Michigan are of course not that diverse.

First off: African_American culture. Obviously no difference there between Chicago and Detroit.

2nd: white European ethnic. For most of the 20th century Chicago and Detroit attracted immigrant from Poland and Italy to work in low-skill manufacturing. Chicago had much more Irish (largely because Chicagos initial growth coincided with the potato famine than Detroit (although Detroit had a significant Irish pop. that went into politics: Cavanaugh: mayor during the 60s, Corktown, etc.).

Other eastern Europeans were attracted equally. (Czechs more in Chicago, Hungarians more in Detroit, Russians later in both). Now in the last 20-30, yes Chicago remains much more of an immigrant destination attracting fresh Polish, although there were Bosnians, Albanians that came to Detroit after communism which also coincided with the 90s when SE. Michigan looking at bit more on the upside. Type in Hammtramch into wikipedia.

Asians: No doubt Chicago has that beat in the city. Although Detroit did have a small Chinatown, but again after the riots that all changed. However in the white-collared Oakland County and Ann Arbor area, Asians are probably pretty similar percentage-wise as you find in Chicagos white-collared suburbs. Also, there is one Asian group you find in the upper (colder) midwest that you really don't come across at all in Chicago. Hmong (Minneapolis_St. Paul and a tiny bit in Detroit).

Hispanics: Well no question there. Metro Detroits hispanic population is quite small and is really only found in SW Detroit in large numbers. Although, Chicago hispanic population is overwhelming Mexican with some Puerto Rican, and a few Cubans and South Americans that have found an entrepreneurial niche. Calfornia and New York-New Jersey has everywhere else beat when it comes to hispanic diversity.

Arabs/Middle-easterners. Obviously Detroit/SE Michigan all the way. the area has the largest Arab population in the U.S.
The only areas where you find a concentration of Arab Americans in Chicago is Bridgeview and Albany Park.

So, yes, Chicagoland has SE Michigan beat in terms of diversity, but its not quite as big of a difference as you might think. And the differences there are, are mostly due to the last 20-30 years. (Those crucial years when Chicago and Detroit really when down very different paths).
The Hispanic population led to a noticeable difference between Illinois and Michigan. 2008 census said Illinois has almost 1.6 million Mexicans and close to 2 million latinos all together. Latinos are now the largest minority in Illinois surpassing blacks. Outside of Chicagoland, Champaign-Urbana has a good amount of Asians.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:00 PM

902 posts, read 2,787,526 times
Michigan has always reminded me of a southern state in the north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.