Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2023, 08:17 AM

8,839 posts, read 5,173,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Hubby did our traditional pork and sauerkraut. This time in the crockpot. We used the boneless pork and he added some (?) of his IPA to it. We had the stone ground Dijon mustard and a bit of horseradish sauce. Mashed potatoes. Slice of rye marbled bread with butter. Applesauce. Glass of hmm, oh, Wassail.

I’m so stuffed.
That sounds like a dish I would love
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 09:26 AM

50,535 posts, read 64,529,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Happy New Year, everyone! It's my 64th birthday ... ... how did THAT happen?!

Anyway, I had a great dinner ... I cut up about 12 ounces of leg of lamp (on sale, which hardly every happens!) and a lot of veggies (carrots, mini sweet bell peppers, onions, zucchini, and mushrooms), then made a curry sauce using paste and coconut milk. Simmered for about 45 minutes, then added some wilted spinach at the end for color and a tiny bit more nutrition. Had it over rice.

I'd never made lamb curry before so it was a very nice meal, and I have 3 more portions ready to go into the freezer, labeled and everything, LOL!

I wish everyone the best in 2023!
Haha. It reminds me of the leg lamp in A Christmas Story.

I love roast lamb.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Hubby did our traditional pork and sauerkraut. This time in the crockpot. We used the boneless pork and he added some (?) of his IPA to it. We had the stone ground Dijon mustard and a bit of horseradish sauce. Mashed potatoes. Slice of rye marbled bread with butter. Applesauce. Glass of hmm, oh, Wassail.

I’m so stuffed.
I usually make that but we still have leftovers from our late Christmas food.

Love pork and sauerkraut with apples. I’ll make it soon. Here in the south they make black eyed peas too.

Old 01-02-2023, 09:34 AM

11,099 posts, read 7,074,193 times
Last night we had ham and black-eyed peas. My friend said it's done on New Year's Day for good luck here in the SE. I searched it on the web, it's an "African American custom, and you put money and greens into the cooking pot with the ham and peas. She didn't know about the money thing, and forgot to put in the greens.

It was absolutely delicious.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Last night we had ham and black-eyed peas. My friend said it's done on New Year's Day for good luck here in the SE. I searched it on the web, it's an "African American custom, and you put money and greens into the cooking pot with the ham and peas. She didn't know about the money thing, and forgot to put in the greens.

It was absolutely delicious.
So, do you cook them like any dried bean?

Old 01-02-2023, 10:10 AM

10,073 posts, read 18,201,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Never had lamb. I tried mutton once and it tasted like a pee filled rag. Smelled bad also.
You've tasted pee-filled rags, have you?

The lamb was delicious and the curry smelled wonderful (as curry always does!). I rarely have lamb because it's quite expensive -- I got it on sale for $7.99/lb. (there was another cut of lamb selling for $25.99/lb., eeeeek!) and I wish I'd bought more!

Old 01-02-2023, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
So, do you cook them like any dried bean?
I have to find out (get the recipe from her). It was truly excellent. I will post when I have it, or DM you.

Edit: here ya go!

1 lb bag Black Eyed Peas
1 lb Ham cubed (or just use ham hock for flavor)
1 medium onion diced
2 cloves garlic diced
1 can diced tomato with green chilis
4 cups Chicken Broth

If peas are soaked over night, cook for 4 hours

Or just quick wash and put everything in the crockpot for 6-7 hours on low.

(Add collard greens??)

Last edited by pathrunner; 01-02-2023 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-02-2023, 01:26 PM

30,775 posts, read 18,521,144 times
Made a big pot of Feijoada today (Brazilian black bean stew with bacon, smoked sausage, ham, onion, garlic, thyme, peppers, etc.) served over white rice with some avocado slices. I need a nap after eating

Edited to include the recipe I use!

https://30seconds.com/food/tip/amp-1...bulous-Filling

Note, I don't use bay leaves as I've never been able to tell the difference with them in a dish, but followed everything else (taking care to fry the onions in the bacon grease) recipe-wise. Since I really like spicy food, I also added some Matouk's hot pepper sauce to the pot.

Usually, I cook the dish on the stovetop, but I did everything in my Instant Pot today; 30 minutes on the "beans" setting. No difference. Same rich, delicious flavors.
Attached Thumbnails
What’s for Dinner-img_8340.jpg   What’s for Dinner-img_8341.jpg  

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 01-02-2023 at 01:45 PM..

Old 01-02-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I have to find out (get the recipe from her). It was truly excellent. I will post when I have it, or DM you.

Edit: here ya go!

1 lb bag Black Eyed Peas
1 lb Ham cubed (or just use ham hock for flavor)
1 medium onion diced
2 cloves garlic diced
1 can diced tomato with green chilis
4 cups Chicken Broth

If peas are soaked over night, cook for 4 hours

Or just quick wash and put everything in the crockpot for 6-7 hours on low.

(Add collard greens??)
I should mention that my friend cooked the ham/blackeyed peas dish for 7 hours, beans uncooked at the beginning. I'm thinking maybe cooking it longer on low brought out more of the flavor.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:48 PM
Status: "Just think, a Buc-ee's replacing an old Buc-ee's." (set 9 days ago)

52,798 posts, read 48,208,715 times
Tonight after errands: Stopping by Cotton Patch Cafe to pick up some chicken-fried steak (with cream gravy), mashed potatoes, and baked squash (along with rolls) and take them to my mother's place. We'll both have the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink