Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2021, 05:46 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,783,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
Are you trolling?

You think a 26 year old grocery store clerk should get priority over a nursing home resident?

DeSantis is right. It's about age, not job. It's about your actual risk should you contract is. And by the way, medical workers are all being vaccinated. When you say "front line" - you are misleading people. What you really mean is "essential" workers which is everything from yard workers to gas station attendants. And yes, we should be vaccinating our vulnerable population first.
The problem with Desanti's viewpoint is that it is NOT just about AGE vs JOB.

The 103 year old lady deserves a shot but so does the 26 year old worker who may end up with perm. heart damage because he is forced to go into work (because again, the gov wont support him or businesses when needed).

Putting one infront of the other is WRONG.

Following the CDC guideline is the way to do it. Make it available to BOTH the 103 year old and the 26 year old, whoever gets it first gets it first.

Completely eliminated front facing workers chance to get it is pretty much the most stupid plan ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I hope this is not a serious question...

How many people in their 20s have you heard of dying from this?
More than 0.

The point is you can die from this as a kid, as a teen, as a 20 year old, etc...

Everyone who can't stay inside at home should be given the chance to get it RIGHT NOW, and if they dont because of supply oh well, but at least they have the chance!

For example, my mother has been working remotely since March. No need to go out, groceries delivered, all good. She doesn't need one for a while, even though she's 68. Give it to the teacher instead!!

Old 01-05-2021, 05:49 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
The problem with Desanti's viewpoint is that it is NOT just about AGE vs JOB.

The 103 year old lady deserves a shot but so does the 26 year old worker who may end up with perm. heart damage because he is forced to go into work (because again, the gov wont support him or businesses when needed).

Putting one infront of the other is WRONG.

Following the CDC guideline is the way to do it. Make it available to BOTH the 103 year old and the 26 year old, whoever gets it first gets it first.

Completely eliminated front facing workers chance to get it is pretty much the most stupid plan ever.
Eh... I’d rather my mom and dad get priority to receive it over me, a healthy, active mid-30s man. If I haven’t gotten COVID already, if/when I do get it, I’m sure it will be MUCH less severe for me than it would be for ~70 year olds.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
Have you looked at the number of deaths that have occurred in the nursing home population? If you speed up the vaccination of those most at risk of dying, you will have a better chance of lowering deaths.
Again, this isn't just about deaths. It can take a young person and ruin their lives, as far as we know, after watching the long term problems it brings up. It's about who is going to be most likely to get infection and spread it. WHICH IS WHY ESSENTIAL WORKERS ARE IN GROUP 1 B. of the CDC plan.

Again, DesSantis is out of his league here. Let the big brains handle it...just follow directions dummy!

Old 01-05-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Eh... I’d rather my mom and dad get priority to receive it over me, a healthy, active mid-30s man. If I haven’t gotten COVID already, if/when I do get it, I’m sure it will be MUCH less severe for me than it would be for ~70 year olds.
If they must go out and be in public for their jobs I agree with you. However if they are comfortable at home and have plenty of money to support themselves. They should absolutely stay in their home, go for walks by themselves, etc etc... and let a hospital worker, teacher, fire, cop, or ems worker get it FIRST.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:53 AM

Quote:
More than 0.

The point is you can die from this as a kid, as a teen, as a 20 year old, etc...

Everyone who can't stay inside at home should be given the chance to get it RIGHT NOW, and if they dont because of supply oh well, but at least they have the chance!

For example, my mother has been working remotely since March. No need to go out, groceries delivered, all good. She doesn't need one for a while, even though she's 68. Give it to the teacher instead!!
Doesn’t grocery delivery still expose her to it?

I agree that teachers should get it too, but then you open the floodgates with that. Where do we stop? The media has (as usual) coined the idiotic term “essential workers.” What the heck is that? Only medical staff? Teachers and grocery store employees? What about everyone else who still needs to work? I, as an engineer, have not missed a day of work since this thing started. Do all engineers get priority too? IT staff? Construction workers?
See where this is going?
The vast majority of the public is still working, despite what some would have us believe — and are not working from home.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:28 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
yeah right...blah blah blah......until something throws the "big brains" a curve they didn't see coming

"At St. Elizabeth Community Hospital in Tehama County, fewer than half of the 700 hospital workers eligible for the vaccine were willing to take the shot"

" Roughly 20% to 40% of L.A. County’s frontline workers who were offered the vaccine did the same, "

"So many frontline workers in Riverside County have refused the vaccine — an estimated 50% — that hospital and public officials met to strategize how best to distribute the unused doses"

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...vaccine-access

----------------

"Thousands of health care and frontline workers across the US are refusing to get COVID-19 vaccines as the rollout of the shots in America continues to sputter. "

"Up to half of health care workers in on California county and a Texas hospital say they will not get the shot, 60 percent of nursing home staff in Ohio are turning down the jab and 40 percent of frontline workers in Los Angeles won't get it either, polls reveal. "

"Public health experts hoped that vaccinating health care worker first would not only protect them from infection but reduce the risk that they spread the virus and prevent hospitals rom running out of staff.

But the assumption that health care workers would want the shots has not panned out.

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said Thursday that roughly 60 percent of nurses there are refusing the shot."

"In Los Angeles County, between 20 and 40 percent of front line workers are refusing the COVID-19 shot, the Los Angeles Times reported.

In nearby Riverside County, refusal is even more common, with half of frontline workers turning down coronavirus vaccines. "

"A Kaiser Family Health Foundation survey published on December 15 - just as the US was starting to distribute vaccines - found that 29 percent of people working in health care settings did not want the shot."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-vaccines.html

Old 01-05-2021, 07:25 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Again, this isn't just about deaths. It can take a young person and ruin their lives, as far as we know, after watching the long term problems it brings up. It's about who is going to be most likely to get infection and spread it. WHICH IS WHY ESSENTIAL WORKERS ARE IN GROUP 1 B. of the CDC plan.

Again, DesSantis is out of his league here. Let the big brains handle it...just follow directions dummy!

Do you seriously not realize that just about everyone is back at work now?

You start with medical workers and those who are at high risk of dying. That's exactly what we are doing. Sorry that bothers you so much. You hold no ground if you truly think a young, healthy gas station clerk should get the vaccine over an elderly nursing home patient. There is nowhere else to go from there, you can make a fool of yourself all you want (which you seem to be quite good at doing).

Old 01-05-2021, 08:02 AM

Quote:

Please, define "Essential Worker." Is it that idiotic term coined by MSM that singles out a select group of workers, as if they are the only ones working?

It's simple: Give priority to medical staff, and the "at risk."

Enough of this "essential worker" crap. There is no such thing. Everyone who works is "essential." And virtually everyone is back at work now.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:03 AM

1,066 posts, read 623,017 times
Quote:

It’s not about deaths? Give me a break. Even if we look at just extended medical issues (separate from deaths), older people and those with pre-existing medical issues have far greater problems versus the young.

Take your DeSantis bashing to the political boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida