Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 AM

18,544 posts, read 18,814,679 times

Advertisements

Today I had a look online at clothes that are cool to wear this year as I wanted xmas gifts for the grandaughters. , I was horrified at what were being told to wear............ugly big hoop earrings. big sparkly dangly ones too. then the dresses Oh my god.. shirt dressed mid length with long sleeves. look like your granny or school teacher from the past.... silly big balloon sleeve blouses that would make anyone look huge even when their not... these must haves are just a joke.. one site said must have for this season and it was a woman in checked wrinkled trousers or pants as you call them at half mast with flat big clumpy shoes. who are these designers and people in the know kidding.. Statement belts too the bigger and silly looking the better it seems... I must be getting old...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 05:45 AM

16,430 posts, read 12,568,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
All this knock on skinny jeans..............Obama liked them.
Huh? He didn’t wear skinny jeans.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 AM

1,347 posts, read 949,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Today I had a look online at clothes that are cool to wear this year as I wanted xmas gifts for the grandaughters. , I was horrified at what were being told to wear............ugly big hoop earrings. big sparkly dangly ones too. then the dresses Oh my god.. shirt dressed mid length with long sleeves. look like your granny or school teacher from the past.... silly big balloon sleeve blouses that would make anyone look huge even when their not... these must haves are just a joke.. one site said must have for this season and it was a woman in checked wrinkled trousers or pants as you call them at half mast with flat big clumpy shoes. who are these designers and people in the know kidding.. Statement belts too the bigger and silly looking the better it seems... I must be getting old...
Ooh, I love those, though I have to save them for going out, since that look is a little much for my office environment.

My pet peeve is that there is actually some cute stylish stuff for little girls and tween girls that I wish came in adult sizes, then I get to the adult section and everything is frumpy and ugly and unflattering. Maybe the two sets of designers need to trade places.

+1 for ripped jeans, weird eyebrows, cold shoulder tops, and short shorts. Also, the "barefoot with heels" trend... as someone said in another thread somewhere on this forum, I can't wait until socks are back in style.

Old 09-12-2018, 07:31 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,280,503 times
I just got a catalogue from one of my favorite retailers- and the colors are so funereal! Everything is "dull"- terra-cotta, forest green, grey... I'm 65 and if I don't combine darks and neutrals with some bright colors I look dowdy. Good thing I keep previous seasons' clothes around till they wear out. I don't care if they're out of style!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:28 AM

19,897 posts, read 9,453,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I just got a catalogue from one of my favorite retailers- and the colors are so funereal! Everything is "dull"- terra-cotta, forest green, grey... I'm 65 and if I don't combine darks and neutrals with some bright colors I look dowdy. Good thing I keep previous seasons' clothes around till they wear out. I don't care if they're out of style!
Definitely agree with this. Going clothes shopping now for fall/winter clothes actually does depress me because so many of the colors are literally dull. Mostly dull blue, gray and dull gray, and the other colors seem to have been washed about 150 times so that there is hardly any color left!

Of course, there are exceptions -- but, generally speaking . . .ugghhh!!

(I do like forest green, though, but not washed out or gray-greens.)

Old 09-12-2018, 09:52 AM

7,328 posts, read 12,377,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Definitely agree with this. Going clothes shopping now for fall/winter clothes actually does depress me because so many of the colors are literally dull. Mostly dull blue, gray and dull gray, and the other colors seem to have been washed about 150 times so that there is hardly any color left!

Of course, there are exceptions -- but, generally speaking . . .ugghhh!!

(I do like forest green, though, but not washed out or gray-greens.)
I have noticed women's clothes tend to have more flexibility on color in fall/winter than men's clothes. Many women's collections are actually featuring pink in their fall/winter collections; no longer it is a spring-only color (the color Ballet Slipper was a trendy color for Fall 2017 in women's clothing).

Old 09-12-2018, 02:50 PM

29,765 posts, read 34,486,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I'm the opposite--I love shopping in the fall and winter. I don't like pastels and brights, and that's generally all you find in stores in the spring/summer.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:16 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I'm the opposite--I love shopping in the fall and winter. I don't like pastels and brights, and that's generally all you find in stores in the spring/summer.
Same here. Pale colors make me look washed out. Give me olive and rust and brown and gold any time.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,280,503 times
I ALMOST wish they'd bring back pantyhose. I'm going to sound like a Grandma here (well, I AM a Grandma) but I can't get used to bare legs with dresses and skirts in formal situations. I have wonderful, gym-rat legs but they've got a vein visible here and there, the color tone is a but uneven and in the winter they're pasty white. (I have access to a tanning salon but don't want to invite skin cancer, and don't want to mess with self-tanning solutions.)

I've always felt that stockings a shade or so darker than my skin tone evened things out, but apparently now, wearing pantyhose just screams, "I'm OLD".

Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,973,455 times
What I really HATE are the ear stretchers. My friend’s grandson, who is 32, has them. I’d love to see his ears when he is much older and takes them out. His earlobes May be touching his shoulders...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty