Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 06:04 PM

604 posts, read 856,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
High waisted pants. They only look good on models, other than that they accentuate a gut, and even make a gut on people that don't usually have one.
Seconding!

I'm tallish but super short-waisted so in high waisted pants I look like that old man down the street who wears his pants right below his armpits (every neighborhood has one ). I'm having to search for low- or even medium-rise pants since the pendulum seems to have swung back to high-waisted styles. Between high waists and and being "pre-distressed," it's nearly impossible to find a flattering pair of jeans that don't look like they've been attacked with a chainsaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 06:21 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,958 times
I couldn't find any mention of cropped pants. I hate cropped pants (basically, any length that lands between the knee and the ankle). They save the manufacturer a buck or two in the cost of the material and they make EVERY woman's rear end look fat. I'm 5'7" and 123 lbs. and I won't buy them.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:26 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I couldn't find any mention of cropped pants. I hate cropped pants (basically, any length that lands between the knee and the ankle). They save the manufacturer a buck or two in the cost of the material and they make EVERY woman's rear end look fat. I'm 5'7" and 123 lbs. and I won't buy them.
I mentioned them (post #51). They are always ugly on anyone who wears them.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:00 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Higher waisted jeans look great if you have an hourglass figure, and low-rise are unflattering on this figure type. I wouldn’t wear any pair you’d call “mom†jeans though.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:02 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
I would like to nominate the "Blond hair with obvious dark roots". I don't get it, started showing many years ago on celebrities who could obviously afford to get touch ups whenever they needed. Is it an "I don't care" thing like ripped jeans?

Old 09-09-2018, 07:48 PM

8,073 posts, read 4,748,872 times
I'm not sure I can explain this in a way that folks who've never seen it will understand, but here goes:

For the past several years I have seen people (mostly women in the 40-55 range) walking around with their sunglasses perched on their chins. Sometimes they're a bit lower, sort of slung around their necks, but it just looks ridiculous either way, like someone recently slapped them and their sunglasses are "askew". It's not like they can't just fold them up and put them in a pocket or purse like a normal person. Do they think it looks "cool"? I can't imagine anyone thinking this, since it just looks like they don't know how to dress themselves. It's nearly impossible for me to deal with someone face-to-face doing this--it's so dumb-looking that I just want to finish the job by slapping the sunglasses totally off their face. I always thought putting your sunglasses on top of your head looked kind of dorky, but this new trend wipes that old one off the map entirely.

Tried to find a picture online to illustrate, but came up with nothing. Maybe it's just a local trend?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Tunics forever, says 5'10" me. I even wear many dresses as tunics, because most of them show too much thigh on me.

I would be fine never seeing...

...booties/ankle boots
...block brows
...acrylic nails
...high-waisted pants
...booty shorts
...brand logos, esp. on handbags
...designer handbags that have big gaudy metallic insignia zipper pulls

ever again.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:13 PM

28,677 posts, read 18,801,179 times
Heavy, blocky booties that give a woman a club-footed look.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:18 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The place where I grew up was poor and it was very common to see classmates come to school with worn areas and holes in them since they couldn't afford to buy clothing that often. Jeans had often been handed down through several kids and looked pretty rough after the 2nd or 3rd hand-me-down. That's what this reminds me of.
Pre-distressed jeans do look remarkably like they can't afford better. I don't get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Bra straps and other underwear showing. Also pajamas in public places.
For men or women! Please, I don't wanna see underwear. And PJs in public? I've never seen that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I think the material savings would be insignificant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I would like to nominate the "Blond hair with obvious dark roots". I don't get it, started showing many years ago on celebrities who could obviously afford to get touch ups whenever they needed. Is it an "I don't care" thing like ripped jeans?
I've wondered that too. My theory is that it's intentional, but why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
I'm not sure I can explain this in a way that folks who've never seen it will understand, but here goes:

For the past several years I have seen people (mostly women in the 40-55 range) walking around with their sunglasses perched on their chins. Sometimes they're a bit lower, sort of slung around their necks, but it just looks ridiculous either way, like someone recently slapped them and their sunglasses are "askew". It's not like they can't just fold them up and put them in a pocket or purse like a normal person. Do they think it looks "cool"? I can't imagine anyone thinking this, since it just looks like they don't know how to dress themselves. It's nearly impossible for me to deal with someone face-to-face doing this--it's so dumb-looking that I just want to finish the job by slapping the sunglasses totally off their face. I always thought putting your sunglasses on top of your head looked kind of dorky, but this new trend wipes that old one off the map entirely.

Tried to find a picture online to illustrate, but came up with nothing. Maybe it's just a local trend?
I've never seen that.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post

Maybe?

I can't even picture this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty