Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 06:55 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,349,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I couldn't find any mention of cropped pants. I hate cropped pants (basically, any length that lands between the knee and the ankle). They save the manufacturer a buck or two in the cost of the material and they make EVERY woman's rear end look fat. I'm 5'7" and 123 lbs. and I won't buy them.

I despise cropped pants - they visually cut your leg in half which is not a good luck for anyone petite. Unfortunately because I live in Florida it's what I see on older women every single day. A skinny cropped jean on a taller, thin woman with heels or ballet flats I might not hate as much but it's rare to see that around here. The fashion here is nothing like I lived on Long Island. Very few people dress up even when going to a nice restaurant. It's a fashion wasteland here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 07:25 AM

28,695 posts, read 18,846,549 times
This is what I'd like to see go away: Grown men who dress exactly like adolescent boys. I'm not talking about not being casual...but there is such a thing as "grown up" casual.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:37 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
This is what I'd like to see go away: Grown men who dress exactly like adolescent boys. I'm not talking about not being casual...but there is such a thing as "grown up" casual.
Oh, yeah- the backwards ball caps have gotta go!

Old 09-10-2018, 07:40 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,050,910 times
It's probably been mentioned...but the eybrows...the kind that look like a stencil was used.

I 'get' filling in sparse eyebrows. But the stencil look...it can be very jarring sometimes. There's a young lady at a local craft store I go to...she's nice and sweet...but it's hard for me to look at her because her eyebrows are like EVERYTHING on her face. They're big and chunky and obviously drawn on. She looks like a cartoon.

Really, that's the only thing I can think of, that I wish would go away. Everything else...it's not that big a deal to me.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,515,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagrape Grove View Post
It has probably been mentioned before since this thread started in 2015 and 327 posts before this one.......but I hate tattoos that cover the entire arms, chest, neck and most of the leg. I know it's fashionable, has been for a couple of decades and will stay that way for many more but I still don't like them. Ditto for the piercings of lips, eyebrows, noses, etc. and ears that enlarge the earlobes No, I don't mind pierced ears for earrings as such piercings are a way of keeping earrings on your ears and earrings are jewelry. Such piercings are functional not piercings for the sake of piercing.

I know. Disliking body tattoos and piercings is a lonely stance to take.
Don’t really get the logic here. Piercings and tats have been around for YEARS. And a nose piercing is just as functional as an ear piercing. It holds an earring in the nose. A nose ring is adornment, no different than the ear. I didn’t pierce my nose just for the sake of piercing it, I like wearing jewelry in my nose.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:15 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,050,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Don’t really get the logic here. Piercings and tats have been around for YEARS. And a nose piercing is just as functional as an ear piercing. It holds an earring in the nose. A nose ring is adornment, no different than the ear. I didn’t pierce my nose just for the sake of piercing it, I like wearing jewelry in my nose.

For the record, I always thought nose rings were attractive. Kind of exotic looking.

Really, I guess all this just shows we all have different tastes, on what's appealing and what isn't. LOL

Old 09-10-2018, 08:20 AM

4,240 posts, read 6,926,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I agree. But the thing is, as long as girls in yoga pants and an over-sized t shirt is acceptable 'casual' wear in public, it's hard to single out guys who dress too casual or adolescent for an occasion.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:31 AM

29,762 posts, read 34,464,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I couldn't find any mention of cropped pants. I hate cropped pants (basically, any length that lands between the knee and the ankle). They save the manufacturer a buck or two in the cost of the material and they make EVERY woman's rear end look fat. I'm 5'7" and 123 lbs. and I won't buy them.
This is a trend that I see all the time that baffles me: https://www.whowhatwear.com/ways-to-...s-with-booties As a short person I don't want to make my legs look shorter, and once it gets cold I don't want 2 inches of exposed skin (or socks) between the bottom of my pants and the top of my boots.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:12 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,277,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This is a trend that I see all the time that baffles me: https://www.whowhatwear.com/ways-to-...s-with-booties As a short person I don't want to make my legs look shorter, and once it gets cold I don't want 2 inches of exposed skin (or socks) between the bottom of my pants and the top of my boots.
I did know one woman who wore wide-legged cropped pants with boots, no skin showing in between. She was the only woman I knew who looked good in them. The solid-color stockings that match the boot help, too.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:30 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,160,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Check online - my son has those nice ones like Daniel Craig wore in one of the 007 movies and he got them online. Most stores just carry those ridiculous board shorts. Who wants to go swimming with all that fabric? Plus the tan lines have got to look horrible.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't swim that much and my one pair (recently purchased) should suffice. I agree about all that fabric. As for tan lines, I avoid getting any but the most accidental and slightest tan, for health reasons.

I usually wear sweat shorts to my gym. There again they hit right about top of my knees. I sometimes have to pull up the bottoms of my shorts when working out causes them to catch my knees.

I don't understand why clothing manufacturers make so few shorts with mid-thigh length, which would be my preferred length for swimming and for working out. I suppose knee length is acceptable for casual wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty