Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 11:27 AM

12,080 posts, read 8,476,366 times

Advertisements

One thing I do enjoy about fashion today is that it seems more forgiving than forty or fifty years ago. Many things which were "forbidden" are now allowable. I like that flexibility.

I've just bought some really nice white jeggings which it doesn't look like I'll have a chance to wear this year. I did a little googling and see that the Great Somebody has announced you may now wear white after Labor Day. Do I have to copy this off and carry it with me in case the fashion police are around or will everyone know the rules have changed?

I really do like the idea of wearing the type of clothing that makes me feel good when I wear it rather than what is dictated as correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 11:47 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,170,856 times
There isn't just a unified single 'fashion.' I can totally understand winter fashion in New York, while here in SoCal you can barely tell our winters from our summers, weather is just not a fashion driving factor in SoCal. (In the winter you just throw a coat over your usual summer style.) There may be a few interested in "high" fashion who follow NY and Paris fashion, but I rarely see people dressed this way except on TV.

I found it difficult to grock there could even be a "shalt not wear white after Labor Day" rule. (It was an interesting recent topic.) I'm pretty sure that one is out the window forever. Maybe bookmark the article on your cell in case you get apprehended by the fashion police.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:22 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,688,601 times
After seeing Italian men in skinny jeans, I like them a lot. And they were more flattering on me than regular jeans. But I detest the ripped look.

I like layered tops with spaghetti straps showing, but not regular bra straps---ICK!

I don't like the long shorts on men. It's got to be uncomfortable for swimming, too, right? Let's see some more leg, men! (if yours are not too bad!)

Pointy-toed shoes are ridiculous, IMO. But I get that others like them....

Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,170,856 times
The problem with men's shorts (and swimming trunks) is that it's hard to find shorter ones. I bought the shortest I could find and at least they are slightly above my knees.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:21 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,526,540 times
skinny jeans, high waisted jeans (aka MOM jeans, and I'm a mom who would never wear them), fake glasses, heels with everything,

Old 09-09-2018, 01:34 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
The problem with men's shorts (and swimming trunks) is that it's hard to find shorter ones. I bought the shortest I could find and at least they are slightly above my knees.
Slightly above the knee is alright.

But absolutely nobody, nobody, no human being's look is ever improved by any fashion that cuts off at the calf.

Some folk are gloriously beautiful enough to wear it and get away with it, but nobody's look is improved by it.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:20 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I cannot wait until the ripped jeans look goes back out of style. It was a style that I hated the first time around. (Also, there was no way that my parents were going to buy ripped clothing for their daughters, let alone let my sister and me tear up perfectly good jeans to wear to school.)

Judging from the daily fashion parade of sorts I get to see while walking around downtown Pittsburgh, the style is worse this time around as the jeans aren't just ripped in the knees, but torn wide open all over the garments leaving some women wearing little more than overpriced rags.

I'm also not a fan of the cold-shoulder tops and dresses. To my eyes, they have a cheap look to them and aren't sexy in the least.

With winter's arrival soon upon us, I'm sure that we'll soon be seeing what my former sister-in-law used to term "the Eski-ho look," i.e., really short jeans skirts worn bare-legged with Ugg boots. :-) That one's definitely a look reserved for the very young and the very fit.
I've noticed an increasing number of women wearing these types of jeans around here.

The place where I grew up was poor and it was very common to see classmates come to school with worn areas and holes in them since they couldn't afford to buy clothing that often. Jeans had often been handed down through several kids and looked pretty rough after the 2nd or 3rd hand-me-down. That's what this reminds me of.

Not saying anything negative about that since it's where I came from but the look is far from glamorous.

Old 09-09-2018, 04:34 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I've noticed an increasing number of women wearing these types of jeans around here.

The place where I grew up was poor and it was very common to see classmates come to school with worn areas and holes in them since they couldn't afford to buy clothing that often. Jeans had often been handed down through several kids and looked pretty rough after the 2nd or 3rd hand-me-down. That's what this reminds me of.

Not saying anything negative about that since it's where I came from but the look is far from glamorous.
Yeah, I'll be glad when it goes out of style myself.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:27 PM

19,897 posts, read 9,453,564 times
Bra straps and other underwear showing. Also pajamas in public places.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,239,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
There isn't just a unified single 'fashion.' I can totally understand winter fashion in New York, while here in SoCal you can barely tell our winters from our summers, weather is just not a fashion driving factor in SoCal. (In the winter you just throw a coat over your usual summer style.) There may be a few interested in "high" fashion who follow NY and Paris fashion, but I rarely see people dressed this way except on TV.

I found it difficult to grock there could even be a "shalt not wear white after Labor Day" rule. (It was an interesting recent topic.) I'm pretty sure that one is out the window forever. Maybe bookmark the article on your cell in case you get apprehended by the fashion police.
I wore knee length white shorts a couple of days ago, and no one pulled me over, or issued me a citation. . I figure if it is warm enough to wear sandals, it is OK to wear white pants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty