Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 06:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I was wondering, is there any particular fashion trend you wish would die out, what would it be?

I would like to see the slim fit menswear trend die out. I mostly have to stick to "dad brands" to avoid it, which limits my options if I am in the mood for something else.

The poop-in-the-diaper look that is still used by some manufacturers of men's pants, and it is especially ridiculous with skinny jeans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 06:45 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Yes, to me they look like old school maternity clothing.
Exactly. I am six feet tall. I don't want to dress like a giant baby.

While we're at it, let's get rid of the NEW school maternity clothing. The tight tops stretched over the big belly with the lower half hanging out and that gruesome protruding navel that some women get showing (thank God that didn't happen to me, lol, but it's not something we want to look at.)

Yeah, yeah, we're all supposed to say pregnancy is beautiful, but let's get real.

Old 09-09-2018, 06:57 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,564,078 times
I cannot wait until the ripped jeans look goes back out of style. It was a style that I hated the first time around. (Also, there was no way that my parents were going to buy ripped clothing for their daughters, let alone let my sister and me tear up perfectly good jeans to wear to school.)

Judging from the daily fashion parade of sorts I get to see while walking around downtown Pittsburgh, the style is worse this time around as the jeans aren't just ripped in the knees, but torn wide open all over the garments leaving some women wearing little more than overpriced rags.

I'm also not a fan of the cold-shoulder tops and dresses. To my eyes, they have a cheap look to them and aren't sexy in the least.

With winter's arrival soon upon us, I'm sure that we'll soon be seeing what my former sister-in-law used to term "the Eski-ho look," i.e., really short jeans skirts worn bare-legged with Ugg boots. :-) That one's definitely a look reserved for the very young and the very fit.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:22 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Exactly. I am six feet tall. I don't want to dress like a giant baby.

While we're at it, let's get rid of the NEW school maternity clothing. The tight tops stretched over the big belly with the lower half hanging out and that gruesome protruding navel that some women get showing (thank God that didn't happen to me, lol, but it's not something we want to look at.)

Yeah, yeah, we're all supposed to say pregnancy is beautiful, but let's get real.
Agree, there is nothing flattering about wearing skin tight 'maternity' clothing. I don't advocate going back to the 'puffy maternity tops' either -- but ladies, have some common sense. That look makes you look dumb. Nothing attractive about it. (And … especially dumb if you're not married! )

Old 09-09-2018, 07:30 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
Agree on the ripped jeans. Just, why?

Also "cat" eye liner.

Plus, the little side of the nose piercings (balls) that look like a pimple from a distance. Because, ya know, real pimples are so hard to maintain.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 AM

658 posts, read 722,610 times
Men looking sloppy in jeans and t shirts. Blah. Bring back the debonair and dapper gent.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:13 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
Trashy looking tattoos
Piercings in places other than the ears
Ripped jeans
Jeans that are too skinny (I like slim)

Old 09-09-2018, 10:29 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I love tunics and skinny jeans. Yes, I'm tall.

Be nice if you could get your favorite looks all the time, instead of being limited to what the fashion gods decree is in this year.
Oh, wait, you can! Option 1) learn to sew. Option 2) buy second hand clothes.
I do both, plus buy any new pieces that suit me.
This basically how I furnish most of my wardrobe.

While I can sympathize with those of you long-waisted, tall skinny types pining away for tunic tops, these do absolutely NOTHING for short-waisted, pear shaped, squat little me. This style never fits right even if it's sized for petites (ever notice how "petite" sizes are longer these days??) Instead of me wearing the top, the top "wears" me and I look like a little kid dressed up in my mother's clothing.

I can't wear any t-shirt/top past my hips otherwise my gut sticks out like a 4 month preggo. The only way I *might* get away with it is if the style is short and boxy rather than formfitting or if there's a generous flaring out towards the bottom (and no longer than my hip line). In either case, wearing flared legged jeans with a tops like that looks ridiculous on a short chunky person which is why I'll always vote for skinny jeans.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 AM

8,072 posts, read 8,372,561 times
I'm "fashion-backward", so am resistant to all mere "trends".

Old 09-09-2018, 11:26 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Stroll through the ladies department at Kohls. The Sonoma department takes you back to the 1970’s ! Yuck. I visit my HS years by doing that.
I'll check it out! I haven't ever been inside my local Kohls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The poop-in-the-diaper look that is still used by some manufacturers of men's pants, and it is especially ridiculous with skinny jeans.
Please tell me there are no men wearing skinny jeans. You mean the type that is tight around the ankle, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I cannot wait until the ripped jeans look goes back out of style. It was a style that I hated the first time around. (Also, there was no way that my parents were going to buy ripped clothing for their daughters, let alone let my sister and me tear up perfectly good jeans to wear to school.)

Judging from the daily fashion parade of sorts I get to see while walking around downtown Pittsburgh, the style is worse this time around as the jeans aren't just ripped in the knees, but torn wide open all over the garments leaving some women wearing little more than overpriced rags.
Thank God for your post! I'm a man but recently began following women's fashions just because they are interesting. A few days ago I couldn't find anything to Pin except ripped jeans! Every women's style example I found was ripped, ripped, ripped. And yes you are right, not only the knees but practically any place that could be ripped without falling off. I liked the style of slight ripping but by a few hours of Pinning ripped jeans I over-dosed!

Quote:
I'm also not a fan of the cold-shoulder tops and dresses. To my eyes, they have a cheap look to them and aren't sexy in the least.
I dated a woman a couple months ago who wore that style dress, and she looked very alluring!

Quote:
With winter's arrival soon upon us, I'm sure that we'll soon be seeing what my former sister-in-law used to term "the Eski-ho look," i.e., really short jeans skirts worn bare-legged with Ugg boots. :-) That one's definitely a look reserved for the very young and the very fit.
I loved your characterization of the "Eski-ho look," you made me laugh! I hope my style will be fine, I just bought a couple pairs of Uggs, to be worn with my jeans covering the tops. Those Uggs are boots on the outside and slippers on the inside! I first became addicted to this style boot as after-ski wear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamillaB View Post
Men looking sloppy in jeans and t shirts. Blah. Bring back the debonair and dapper gent.
Could you accept that men could look nice if the jeans and t-shirt are very nice? That's pretty much my look (add some cowboy boots) and perhaps not acceptable in some fashion domains, but here in SoCal we are very informal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty