Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 08:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,847,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
Masters Degree here. Necessary for my job. If I could do it all over again I would've went to a community college and took my time, then NOT go for a Masters. I'm in SL debt (living well and paying it off, but I hate debt as it limits what I can do to a certain extent), and I have friends who make less than $20/hr have little or no college education, who are happy, as or more independent than I am, and owe nothing.

If the education is necessary for your profession and required for serious advancement, then I say go for it. If it's just the "bragging rights" you're looking for, then don't waste your time. Software developers with a simple B.A. or B.S. and less than 2 yrs experience make $90K+

It's about drive, planning, perstistance, experience and motivation. Bill Gates, P. Diddy, Steve Jobs.....all college dropouts.

A Teacher w/a Masters or Social Worker with a masters is pushing $42-60K in NY.

As said, my friend is a Software Developer, and less than a year in, he's making $85K

A woman with a solid B.A. in the right profession w/plastic surgery if she wants it has more market value IMO.

I would probably advance faster in any field if I had leg lengthening to grow taller (14% of men are above 6ft, but 97% of C.E.O.s are above 6'), but I love myself too much to subject myself to that B.S.

I already am an Rn,but it seems the Bachelors in Nursing is required to work in acute care.
I don't plan on working in acute care. The bachelors will open up more doors for me,but as far as salary is concerned,it will stay about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 08:50 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,785,580 times
You probably have a lot of the required classes already, how much more schooling would you even need to get that bachelors?

There are perks beyond salary. Sometimes an improvement in benefits or position is better than a pay raise.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You probably have a lot of the required classes already, how much more schooling would you even need to get that bachelors?

There are perks beyond salary. Sometimes an improvement in benefits or position is better than a pay raise.
I would need a year full time,or a year and a half part time to get the Bachelors.
There are nurses who have bachelors that work with me;we make the same salary.
However,they can advance and become supervisors.
Nursing is pretty funny. I have had Lpn supervisors(they have one year of schooling).

Old 09-01-2012, 02:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,980,087 times
Is the nursing field getting more crowded? How many years are you away from retirement and how does it look like the field will change before you retire? Will you still be able to get a job if you are older and downsize? Is having those extra credentials becoming more and more important as time goes on? Maybe, as time goes on, that extra credential can land you in a job that is less physically stressful?

I have only worked in a professional business environment. I think if your managers are male looks may be important but not so much if they are women.

I think I would spend the extra time in getting the extra education because it seems to offer a bit of extra insurance for your future. Couldn't you just save more and get the surgery later?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:46 PM

265 posts, read 535,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
It seems with all the focus on looks of women I would be better off getting plastic surgery than going back to get my degree.

Does it seem for women nowadays that its more profitable to get surgery to improve their looks vs getting a college degree?
There have been studies that prove beautiful people get treated better and make more money.
Also,plenty of people with Bachelor's Degrees who can't find employment.

What do you think?

Maybe I should have posted this in the non romantic relationships forum?
Or the Finanacial section under personal?
Interesting that you should ask. Just had this discussion with my mother. While I can't provide a definite answer, as thers have said it sure cant hurt to get both! Ive read the studies as well about beautiful people getting treated better and blah blah, there's many variables to take in to consideration:

what is the intended college major?
what surgical procedure(s) are in question?
are these procedures relatively minor that could instead be fixed with a healthier lifestyle/diet or makeup?
what are your values? making lots of money? gaining knowledge? working your way up the corporate latter? becoming more educated?

absolutely no right or wrong answers just some things to consider.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:27 AM

265 posts, read 535,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Come on,you mean to tell me you wouldn't want to be a housewife in a big house?
I would,rather than working 2 jobs.
After reading more posts I've come to the conclusion that the OP sounds very immature. And yes, I'd rather EARN my OWN money than mooch off some guy. But then again I have morals and I'm not all that materialistic, so maybe that's what differentiates us.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
After reading more posts I've come to the conclusion that the OP sounds very immature. And yes, I'd rather EARN my OWN money than mooch off some guy. But then again I have morals and I'm not all that materialistic, so maybe that's what differentiates us.
Where did I say I want to mooch off some guy?
You know,I'm sure if I was beautiful guys would want to get to know me as a person.
You know,like take me out to dinner,a good show,etc instead of just thinking i m so desperate for a man that I would just open up my legs for them.

Btw,I'm pretty sure beautiful women have the potential to meet quality,middle class men a lot more than say,an ugly woman. Why? Because maybe they have more men to choose from.
Notice I said middle class. I didn't,and never mentioned rich or wealthy. I am a nurse who is middle class.
Even guys like plumbers and electricians want beautiful women. So my equals-income wise want beautiful women too.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Interesting that you should ask. Just had this discussion with my mother. While I can't provide a definite answer, as thers have said it sure cant hurt to get both! Ive read the studies as well about beautiful people getting treated better and blah blah, there's many variables to take in to consideration:

what is the intended college major?
what surgical procedure(s) are in question?
are these procedures relatively minor that could instead be fixed with a healthier lifestyle/diet or makeup?
what are your values? making lots of money? gaining knowledge? working your way up the corporate latter? becoming more educated?

absolutely no right or wrong answers just some things to consider.
As to your questions,I'm already an Adn nurse. I was considering getting my Bsn.

I want facial plastic surgery like a nose job,fat transfer for the eye hollows and forehead,and maybe a facelift.

No,they aren't fixable with makeup.

Well,I do want people to stop treating me negatively because of my face. That's the main factor.
Of course,I would like to meet a husband.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,307,836 times
You sound like you want a reasonable start. What goals would you like to achieve with the rhinoplasty? Fat grafting is also making a lot of advances.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:07 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,897,546 times
I always wonder what it would be like to be on the receiving end of "pretty privilege."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty