Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,127,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I actually am an Rn already.
I was thinking about a more advanced degree vs plastic surgery.
It's like they aren't reading everything you're saying. Shame that you have to keep repeating this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM

9,018 posts, read 13,874,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I would like to say being beautiful has it's downsides. I'm not talking plastic surgery necessarily. If anyone remember's nyanna's thread about how she hated one of her cousins so much because she was beautiful and wished she were dead?

Honestly, this isn't as uncommon as you would think. I have cousins who hate me pretty much because I'm better looking than them. One cousin accused me of sleeping with her old nasty husband, which was completely false she was just jealous and insecure. She yelled at him about it like an out of control animal and took it back in the end.

Another cousin told me blonde hair looked horrible on me and convinced me to dye it brown. A year later she told be she hates all blondes because she felt they got better treatment than her (she is part indian with black hair).

That is when I realized that she convinced me to dye my hair darker because she was jealous of blondes. My natural color is light brown, and I had natural blonde highlights as a child. I began highlighting my hair that week.

An aunt of mine has even told me that another aunt in my family may think I'm a ****. I dress very conservatively for my age and have only had 2 boyfriends.

I could go on forever on this topic, but I will leave it at this since I believe it proves my point.
What is the point?
People hate you for being unattractive too.
I guess being in the middle would be best. Not too cute,not to ugly.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
It's like they aren't reading everything you're saying. Shame that you have to keep repeating this
I know.
Why would I quit being a nurse making 100,000 dollars to become a hooker?
Now strippers? Some make more money than me doing less work.
Even though on rough days,it does make me think about it....
I keep repeating that its to basically to be treated normal. I'm not trying to be an attention ***** either.
Just...normal. I also don't want to change my body,I'm satisfied with that. Just my face.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,794,258 times
Quote:
What is the point?
Because when you're ugly and have a phd, you can tell the pretty bimbos to go fly a kite. Looks fade, even with the best surgery but degrees are forever.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
Getting plastic surgery is like interior decorating. You paint the ceilings, then you notice the drapes are faded. You fix the drapes, then you notice the carpet is matted. I mean, dang! Where does it END? Are you sure elevating yourself intellectually (so you can function in settings where brains are more important) isn't CHEAPER and more of a sure thing? Never forget the old salt, "You can kid mother nature, but you can't fool Father Time! You could put all that money out there to LOOK younger but depending on the original raw material genetics and God given looks, people could still see you as an older woman, so that's not really fooling anyone. It's not magic. It's surgery.
That would all be nice IF I was an older woman.
But I'm 30. Don't drink hard,don't smoke,overeats sometimes,don't exercise like I should.

I thought by not drinking and smoking,I wouldn't age fast. I also don't stay out in the sun,don't tan,am not pale,and still look older than my age. My family,including my mom and sisters look younger than their ages,but not me.
The only difference that I could think of between all of us is that I work 70+ hrs a week,and I have been doing this for maybe 4 yrs now.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:28 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,923,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitgirl11 View Post
kind of is the story of my life except mine was about body type rather than anything else... Like everyone always complains I wear too much make up or am anorexic. I got my relatives in a big hissy fit when I went blond too. I hate the weird male attention hate the jealousy. Only thing I like aout being nice is make up really because it's easy and rewarding. But I rather look my worst and have a highly skilled high paying job than looks.
Same. Unless one desires to have no meaningful relationships with other women, than it is possible to make family members feel inferior because of your better looks.

If I was willing to just coast off men it would be one thing, but that's not who I am.

I can't wait to have a real career and tell all of these negative relatives of mine to go to hell.

Quote:
What is the point?
My point is women experience pain because of their physical appearance and they don't necessarily have to be unattractive to experience pain.

It's like women today have forgotten about the feminist movement in the sixties and how as women we need look out for each other and help each other rise in our careers and in our lives.

Instead, all I have seen is women putting each other down and preferring to help men instead.

The amount of love in the world available for women is limited because of other women's jealousy. We are lucky if we have one friend and one family member who truly love us. We may have a man love us, which is great, but women loving other women is a rare and wonderful thing.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Because when you're ugly and have a phd, you can tell the pretty bimbos to go fly a kite. Looks fade, even with the best surgery but degrees are forever.
Maybe.

Degrees are forever,but they over years their value falls too.
Some have to take continuing education courses,and some degrees don't hold the same value that they did 20 years ago.
Computer engineeringis one That was a popular degree to get back in the 90's and with it you were certain to have a job before graduation.. Now the degree has depreciated,and all the jobs shipped to India.
Same with the liberal arts degree. That degree won't even guarantee a minimum wage job anymore.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,794,258 times
Quote:
Maybe.

Degrees are forever,but they over years their value falls too.
Some have to take continuing education courses,and some degrees don't hold the same value that they did 20 years ago.
Computer engineeringis one That was a popular degree to get back in the 90's and with it you were certain to have a job before graduation.. Now the degree has depreciated,and all the jobs shipped to India.
Same with the liberal arts degree. That degree won't even guarantee a minimum wage job anymore.
So don't wait 20 years to get a job. And you SHOULD continue your education, especially in the medical field. Some of that means devoting time and money to classes, some is just keeping up with changes in your field so you're qualified for promotions.

Yeah, sometimes pretty people get unfair advantages but its far far far from a guarantee. Sure, life is a gamble, but relying on your looks is like playing a game of poker and hoping everyone will be too distracted by your smile to notice you lost. Getting a worthwhile degree is like learning to count cards.

It sounds like you've set your mind on a degree that won't advance you much farther than where you are. So aim higher!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,127,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Same. Unless one desires to have no meaningful relationships with other women, than it is possible to make family members feel inferior because of your better looks.

If I was willing to just coast off men it would be one thing, but that's not who I am.

I can't wait to have a real career and tell all of these negative relatives of mine to go to hell.

My point is women experience pain because of their physical appearance and they don't necessarily have to be unattractive to experience pain.

It's like women today have forgotten about the feminist movement in the sixties and how as women we need look out for each other and help each other rise in our careers and in our lives.

Instead, all I have seen is women putting each other down and preferring to help men instead.

The amount of love in the world available for women is limited because of other women's jealousy. We are lucky if we have one friend and one family member who truly love us. We may have a man love us, which is great, but women loving other women is a rare and wonderful thing.
have your looks interfered with your ability to make female friends?

Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,923,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
have your looks interfered with your ability to make female friends?

I'm not 100% sure. Luckily, I'm close with a few of my friends from childhood and high school. I went to a commuter college so I never made a lot of friends there outside of male friends who eventually came on to me.

The few female friends I have made as an adult are both gorgeous. They are probably better looking than me, but they are the only two women I have became good friends with as an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty